There’s no replacing hot dogs and s’mores, but if you want to change it up at your next campfire, check out this zero-degree chili recipe from Food Network Star and founder of Firelight Camps Emma Frisch.
In her debut cookbook, Feast by Firelight ($17, amazon.com), Frisch offers simple cookout recipes, including this hearty and healthy chili. There’s nothing more filling to enjoy around the campfire after a long day on the trail:
- 1½ pounds beef stew meat, cut into ½-inch pieces (Note: If there’s fat on the beef, keep it for flavor!)
- ¼ cup sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 20 turns of the pepper mill
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⅔ cups diced onions
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cups chopped potatoes (½-inch pieces)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- Finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
PREP: In a ziplock bag, mix the beef, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, garlic, salt and pepper, then seal. Be sure to coat the beef evenly with the seasonings, too; chill for 24 hours.
- In an 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter. Once the butter begins to foam (before it browns!), add onions. Stir to coat with the butter; cover, and cook until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and all of its seasonings to the pot, and turn the heat to medium. Stir occasionally until the beef is browned and coated in the sauce (about 5 minutes). It may seem dry, but the beef will break down and release fat.
- Next, add bell peppers, potatoes, carrots, bay leaves, and beans to the beef. Stir and combine. Throw in tomatoes and its juice, breaking them up with a spoon. Follow by pouring into the beef broth.
- Boil, then lower to simmer and cook until the beef is tender (about 45 minutes).
- Stir in the cornmeal, and cook until chili thickens for another 5 minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls, top with yogurt and parsley.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Brent Hofacker/Shutterstock.com; Africa Studio/Shutterstock.com