For anyone that needs some crunch come snack time, it doesn’t get much better than protein-packed trail mix.
At least in theory: most packaged trail mix possesses heaps of added sugars, and even candies (way to ruin it, M&M’s).
Those unwanted additions are quite counter intuitive in a snack that’s made to keep you energized and fueled, whether you’re rock climbing or just trying to get through the work day.
So it’s a good thing it’s amazingly easy to make your own homemade trail mix. This allows you to oversee exactly what’s in your mix, giving you flexibility to fill it with healthy choices. Plus, you’ll save some money in the process – it’s truly a win-win.
In this tropical trail mix recipe, all-star ingredients like almonds, cashews, and pistachios are featured prominently, and for good reason. Almonds are a premier source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein, as well as brimming in vitamin E. Pistachios are uber nutritious, containing a much lower calorie count than comparable nuts. Finally, cashews include magnesium, folate, vitamin K, and iron (10% of your daily needs in one serving).
To complement the trio of nuts, this homemade trail mix recipe incorporates antioxidant-rich dried papaya, vitamin-packed pineapple, and a touch of honey.
Remember, this recipe isn’t rigid – feel free to swap in (or out) a variety of ingredients to your taste, making it your own. For a bit of inspiration, try a spice mix of allspice and ginger to help evoke even more flavour!
Recipe courtesy of Health.com
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups natural raw almonds
- 1 cup unsalted raw cashews
- 1 cup unsalted raw shelled pistachios
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup dried pineapple
- 1 cup chopped dried papaya
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, heat first 4 ingredients (through ginger) over low heat, stirring until smooth. In a large bowl, combine almonds, cashews, and pistachios; add honey mixture and toss to coat. Spread on prepared baking sheet; bake 15-20 minutes, stirring once, until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet.
- Break cooled nut mixture into pieces; toss in large bowl with coconut, pineapple, and papaya until combined. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!