Don’t Give Your Baby This Honey-Filled Pacifier: It Can Paralyze Them

Don’t Give Your Baby This Honey-Filled Pacifier: It Can Paralyze Them

Honey can contain bacteria that infants are unable to fight against.

Babies are sweet. And like the rest of us, they love sugar. You may be tempted to give them some fruit juice now and then, which is fine.  Nothing wrong with a small taste. When it comes to condiments like honey, however, it’s a different story. Steer clear. Giving this to your little one can lead to serious, (and potentially fatal), complications.

The FDA recently shared the news that 4 babies in Texas have been hospitalized with botulism, a form of food poisoning. They got it from sucking on a pacifier filled or dipped in honey.

How are babies different from the rest of us, at least when it comes to ingesting nature’s liquid gold? Before children reach the age of 1, they don’t have the bacteria in their intestines needed to protect against that found in honey.

Related: Why You Need to Always Wash Your Hands After Handing Slugs

“When an infant ingests honey, bacteria from these spores can grow and produce toxins that could lead to paralysis,” Health Canada’s website states.

Infant botulism is caused by Clostridium botulinum spores. Symptoms of the condition include constipation, a weak cry, trouble breathing, weak muscles and difficulty swallowing. It’s serious and can end up being fatal.

Pacifiers aren’t regularly sold containing honey in the U.S or Canada. Those involved in the recent food poisoning are said to have come from Mexico.

If you think your child may have botulism, seek medical help immediately.

Facebook Comments