St. Michael's Hospital

Hospital

Rate St. Michael's Hospital

Ratings for St. Michael's Hospital

Value

I delivered my child at St Michaels Hospital a few years ago. The hospital stay left me with very negative memories. The facilities were old, cramped and dirty. No private rooms post delivery were available. No ability to take a shower. No fresh air in the overheated rooms. The worst however was the behavior of the L&D nurses. Cold, unavailable, unprofessional rude, disrespectful. They didn't try to provide support and comfort to me and my partner. Labour and delivery is a difficult and stressful experience for a birthing woman and her family. The nurses made it harder. The staff in the postpartum care was even worse. If you're going to give birth in this hospital, it's very important to bring your own support person (beside your partner), because hospital nurses won't help you. Terrible individuals. Avoid nurse Gail, she was horrible and stressed me out considerably. One person who stood out was a young nurse Emma who showed compassion and caring plus was very classy and professional. Doctors were nice, but you'll see them rarely and mostly in the final moments of the delivery. If you have no choice but to give birth at St Michaels please make sure you'll have enough support with you because nurses won't give to you, even when seeing you distressed.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2019

Value

The emergency front desk staff have no compassion. I was there because of they performed a lumbar puncture which did not close. The hole in my spine was leaking spinal fluid and I had a headache that was intolerable. They told me very strictly to take a seat. I told them I was suffering from a procedure that they did in emergency. It did not matter. I walked back to my car and got a blanket and laid on the emerg room floor. When a doctor came out, he saw me and immediately instructed staff to get a stretcher and find out what was wrong. I waited from 5 pm until 2 am to get a blood patch put on the opening. I will never go back to that hospital. They need to know that from the moment someone walks in their doors of emerg, they should show some empathy and compassion and truly listen to the person who is suffering.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2019

Value

They say you go in with one issue and walk out two. That was the case, when I was admitted to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto in 2006 due to a serious work related freak accident. I remember the ambulance attended asking me whether I wanted to go to St. Micheal’s or St. Joseph’s, which I found odd considering St. Michael’s was not even 5 minutes away. I ended up in the ER room at St.Micheal’s and there was no doctor to be found. The attendants just stood around socializing and not even paying attention to me lying completely nude on a cold slab metal surface. On my third cry for a simple request for a pillow, one of the attends walked towards me and told me he needs to use a cystoscopy to view the interior of my stomach. I’m guessing there where no CT scanners or Xray machines available in the hospital. The process of a cystourethroscopy is essentially to insert a very thin and long tube like medical camera instrument up a persons private part to see what was going inside the body. Not even two inches into the process, the attendant had noticed it was not going accordingly, at which time he pulled out the cystoscopy and I start profusely bleeding. Now mind you I was already in shocked from my accident, but this took it to a whole new level. By the time doctor arrived to the ER, it was far too late, I could have literally die by that time. They claimed I lost so much blood that I needed a blood transfusion, which I agreed to having, regretfully. At the end of all this nightmare, they told me I had to go through a procedure to insert a medical tube like device called a catheter, up my urethra towards my bladder to aid the removal of urine from the bladder, so that the bleeding and effected area has time to heal for a duration of three months. Removing it was hell but I digress… Oddly I was visited by a lawyer that claimed she was representing the hospital and wanted to ask me a few question about the incident in the ER. Now why wouldn’t the hospital send an administrator or somebody other than a lawyer to investigate the matter. Is this an admission of guilt on their part? Who knows. During my two weeks stay at the hospital, I was told I needed to go through an invasive procedure to check whether the wound in the Corpus cavernosum area had healed, at which time I infaticly declined. Shortly a day or two later I learned I was being discharged early from the hospital with no credible reason, but it was clear to me as to why they were telling me to leave. I wanted to sue them but I realized that no amount of money in the world would equal the pain, suffering, and not mention the degradation I went through. This was a spiritual warefare at it’s best and I’m still standing to tell this story, and I hope no one will ever go through what I experienced. Fast forward 18 years later, I happy to say I’m healthy and strong and I have the full amour of God protecting me. (Ephesians 6:10-18 - KJV) God Bless

flag | Submitted July 28, 2019

Value

I owe my life to the neurological team at St. Mike's. I was transported by ambulance with two bleeding aneurysms at 10 p.m. in the evening. After over 8 hours of surgery, I made a complete recovery - no damage whatsoever. I spent 2 weeks in ICU and received excellent care. Everyone was so kind to me. The nurses and doctors I encountered were caring, compassionate, thorough professionals. To top it all off, the food was far better than I expected - the scones are delicious! I have been back twice for follow-ups and have been impressed with the smoothness of the appointments - no overly long waits. I would recommend this hospital to anyone - top notch medical professionals and superb care. I arrived at St. Mike's in critical condition and just over 2 weeks later, was home enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with my family. Far as I'm concerned, no one could ask for more.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2019

Value

I think when you follow the normal trajectory of an illness and improve with treatment your experience is mostly good, however when you have a complications, become complex or have a chronic debilitating illness, the system can't cope and the Doctor's lose interest. To Hospitals, you are just a number and there is a deplorable lack of caring.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2019

Value

Most amazing doctors in emergency. Also nurses in ICU and on stroke unit on 14th Floor! They saved my husbands life. All doctors and nurses are incredible! Don’t believe negative comments below. Neurologists and neurology department were 10 out of 10!

flag | Submitted June 24, 2019

Value

Had some major surgeries at St. Mike's. The nurses were fantastic. They made recovery a lot easier.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2019

Value

MS Clinic couldn’t care less. No idea why they are building a ‘world class facility’ with the attitudes they have, from front desk staff all the way up.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2019

Value

MS clinic is terrible. Neurologist are terrible. Staff is terrible. The whole place is terrible. No real treatment. It's a research hospital and you are there for their research y. If you like being treated like a lab rat: This is the place for you. Just hope they don't kill you with the nonsense that goes on here.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2019

Value

I went there through Emergency and was deeply disappointed by the disorganization. The staff has no idea about what to tell a visiting patient when it comes to where to go?? There are signs that say if you are walking in with fever, let us know! I let them know at every single window and they told me its not their concern..instead of giving me a mask. So crazy. Some nurses/staff were just out for a stroll, we found them walking aimlessly without reaching anywhere, just killing time of their shift. Nobody knows which department is where. The facilities, chairs, etc are old and cleanliness in the bathrooms sucks!! Greatest problem is people don't tell you where one needs to go next! Waiting times are horribly long even in the emergency. Fine, if patients have to wait, but atleast have someone on staff to come and interact/update waiting patients. How difficult is that to achieve?

flag | Submitted March 22, 2019

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Latest Rating

It was three years ago that Dr. M. Elahi changed my life, from the outside to the inside. If you knew me before, you wouldn't recognize me now, not because of the ... Read more

Dr. Michael Cusimano

Dr. Michael Cusimano

Latest Rating

He is the most caring physician I know. He is an excellent surgeon. Thank you for saving my son’s Life.

Dr. Mark Peterson

Dr. Mark Peterson

Latest Rating

I had a ascending aorta aneursym repair with valve sparing procedure on May 30 2019 .Dr Peterson performed the David Procedure on me and did a fantastic job! It's b... Read more

Dr. Tony Barozzino

Dr. Tony Barozzino

Latest Rating

Amazing Doctor, who has always gone above an beyond for my kids.

Dr. Jason Young Lee

Dr. Jason Young Lee

Latest Rating

Dr. Lee has been caring for my chronic kidney for over a year now. He is professional, extremely knowledgeable and understanding. He explains what needs to be done... Read more

Dr. Ralph George

Dr. Ralph George

Latest Rating

Exceptional knowledge, skill and communication! Thank you for your life-saving care,

Dr. Henry Ahn

Dr. Henry Ahn

Latest Rating

If he has the knowledge, he was not interested in helping me. He is only interested in doing major surgeries.

Dr. Paul Kortan

Dr. Paul Kortan

Latest Rating

Dr. Korta know his stuff. Very nice person to talk to.

Dr. Gyl Midroni

Dr. Gyl Midroni

Latest Rating

Dr Midroni is my life savior. I can't thank Dr Midroni enough.

Dr. Jeremy Hall

Dr. Jeremy Hall

Latest Rating

Dr. Hall has helped me improve my medical problems with his top-notch expertise. I am very thankful to him!