Ratings for Dr. Anthony Ham Pong

I had an appointment with my 5 year old son for allergy testing. When we got in his office, he was not very friendly. He was answering questions by questions and he didn't even explain to my son what he was going to do and he was quick and rough. When we came back in the office for results, he only told us what he was allergic too and basically showed us the door. He was very sarcastic and unpleasant. He did not answer our questions. It was a terrible experience and I would never recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2017

My appointment was 10 am, but I waited and waited until 11 am when I saw him. By the time I left, it was almost noon. At the end, I think the visit is a waste of my time and his time. The parking charge of $13 is a daylight robbery. Overall, as a medical doctor, I think Dr Pong is ok but not helpful. I hoped he can help me with my food allergy problem. He did what he thought he should do and did some allergy tests on me. He told me nothing I did not already know, that I have pollen allergy. But he refused to address my food allergy problem and did not want to do anything about it. I find this quite typical among Canadian specialist doctors. They have no time to listen to their patients and do not bother to understand what are their concerns. I don't doubt that he is knowledgeable, but that he simply does not care too much and does not want you to come back; perhaps they have no time or perhaps they don't earn enough from OHIP to spend time to really listen to our problems. In contrast, my dentist is very willing to listen and try whatever can be done to solve my problem. Well, we (or our private insurance) pay for everything.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

Dr Pong is knowledgeable, unfortunately has an attitude. Every time we met him I leave with the impression that I have been "attacked", he doesn't listen, he evens mocks me and doesn't let me talk. NO PEOPLE SKILLS, if I had an option I will stop going after the first visit... until know he cant figure out why the anaphylactic reactions are occurring on my son. He is busy taking notes (I am guessing for his research or papers)

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

I brought my son for his first appointment with Dr Ham Pong to determine what allergies were triggering his asthma. When we entered his small cramped office, he barked at my son to close the door using a very curt tone. We had the allergy testing done and waited in the waiting area for the required time. The nurse did a breathing test and looked at my son's arm and said "He has at least 2 allergies I can see" as 3 spots had started to react strongly (one is antihistamine as a control). When we saw the doctor a few minutes later, he said he only had one allergy. I asked why there were 2 large spots (in addition to the control) and he barked "He's only allergic to ragweed". When I tried to ask a question, he cut me off in mid sentence and handed me a generic handout paper and said "That's it. He's done". Zero opportunity to ask questions or get information. Even at the beginning of the appt when the dr was asking background questions, as I would start to answer (with what seemed like pertinent information) he would snap "Just tell me the answer. I don't need to know this!". Horrible bedside manner and not kind to children. After him scratching my son's arm with the pink 40 times, the nurse said he could have done the much less painful kids' test rather than the adult test. I would definitely look for another allergist if needing another appt.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2017

My daughter was referred to Dr. Ham Pong for allergy test. The reception lady was very friendly and helpful. Like other had commented, I was not very impressed with the office environment. It is very small, outdated and yes, not very clean. I was very concerned about my girl moving and touching anything in there. I am not sure how knowledgeable Dr. Ham Pong is, but sure he wasn't friendly or patient toward me and my daughter. He responded "I know what I am doing" when I asked if he specified the strength of the prescription as it happened to my other prescription before. overall it wasn't a very pleasant experience seeing him.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2016

Our son was referred to Dr. Ham Pong for allergy testing. He diagnosed him with Cold Induced Urticaria, which is an allergy to cold water and cold air. He came to this conclusion after only spending 10 minutes with us. He also tested for 48 other possible allergies, while we sat in the waiting area for almost 40 minutes (30 minutes too long) for a reaction to appear. Once his diagnosis was confirmed, he told us "if our son jumped in a cold lake, he would swell up and drown" and " if your car broke down on a cold winter day, he would swell up and pass out". He sent us on our way with no information on his allergy and no way to treat it. We then asked our family doctor for a second opinion and were referred to another allergist, who told us Dr. Ham Pong misdiagnosed our son. I would NOT recommend Dr. Ham Pong to anyone, he doesn't seem to have the time to be thorough enough or take a medical history. His office is disgusting, looks as though it hasn't been cleaned in years and they have a sign posted that only one parent is allowed with a child, while the other needs to sit on the floor in the hallway outside his office. Very unprofessional!

flag | Submitted October 21, 2016

Appointment was 14:40 hrs. An hour later we're still waiting. Wondering if I should bill him for wasting my time. Will post comments on the visit if we ever get called in

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

Ignorant man. Know his stuff, but boy oh boy, he needs a lesson in manners. I was so close to responding with my own rudeness and decided not to stoop to his level. We will be going elsewhere as as result.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2016

Took my 3yr old son to see Dr. Ham Pong yesterday and ended up having to leave after the assessment, no testing. During the assessment my son was restless and whining while I was talking, Dr. Ham Pong yelled loudly at my son to be quiet - I was shocked that he would treat him that way. I had already overlooked that my 3yr old said "hi" when he came in and he didn't respond and that he was constantly cutting me off when trying to explain. Him yelling was the last straw for me.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

Receptionist and assistant were lovely but Dr. Ham Pong came off as condescending and rude. I obviously had concerns and questions regarding my son's allergy but his tone and responses made me feel stupid. Even though I had to wait forever to see the doctor, and then an extended period of time after they had administered the tests, the actual face time seemed rushed. I will be looking elsewhere.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2016