Most of us eat fresh fruit. And we take it for granted that it arrives at our homes insect-free.
But recently, a horror story involving a bunch of bananas erupted in the home of a family in Leicester, England.
In a story retold on BBC.com, Ashley Gamble and his partner Sophia Newcombe bought a bunch of bananas from the supermarket chain Asda in Britain.
When they got home, dozens of spiders emerged from a cocoon on the fruit.
Said Gamble in an interview with thesun.co.uk, “The nest was around the size of a 20p piece, and they were just falling out of it onto the floor. I grabbed the hoover and tried to suck up as many as I could, but they were running off everywhere.”
Creepy? Yes. The family is now asking that Asda pay for the fumigation of their home in order to rid it of the deadly creatures.
It’s true that there was no official identification of the arachnids as Brazilian wandering spiders, but the couple isn’t about to, well, gamble with their lives or those of their children.
In order to confront the problem, the family has called in pest control experts.
Their two-storey house has been sealed and has had dry heat pumped into it to raise the temperature to about 60°C or 140°F to kill off the tropical beasts. (Brazilian wandering spiders come from a humid climate and can’t survive in dry heat.)
No one was reported hurt, and hopefully everyone can actually relax between their four walls once the procedure is finished.
But who can blame them for wanting to be rid of the spiders?
According to experts, a bite from one Brazilian wandering spider can be potentially fatal and can cause an extremely painful erection in males that can last for up to four hours, due to the high concentration of serotonin in the spider’s venom.
Anyone bitten by a Brazilian wandering spider should seek immediate medical attention.
For more on the story, click here.