NORTH CAROLINA SPECIALTY HOSPITAL

Hospital

Rate NORTH CAROLINA SPECIALTY HOSPITAL

Ratings for NORTH CAROLINA SPECIALTY HOSPITAL

Value

I had good experiences with the two cataract surgeries here except for one thing. With the second surgery, I had a volunteer who attempted to install my pre-surgical IV (glucose I think). He came into the bay and mumbled something about being a Durham City fireman who was trying to get his "hours". Very minimal information at best. He poked and prodded and both attempts were very unsuccessful. No one on staff ever mentioned this beforehand to me or introduced me, he just showed up. I think this was unprofessional and made me quite vulnerable and anxious about the experience even later. Here's the upshot: I was in a lot of pain and discomfort after both of these attempts. He even said that I had "rolling" veins which he thought was the problem. Eventually, an observant staff person came by and hooked it up in a flash. Later, I asked my doctor if he thought I had rolling veins. He laughed and said that you had to be very advanced in age (90's and I am in my 60's) to have them or have other serious medical issues. It really bothered me that this volunteer just made that up and then said this to me to make himself feel better about his botched attempts. I had so much extensive bruising from both attempts that lasted for up to 10 days. Since the hospital said they would send me an evaluation later, I just assumed I would mention it then but nothing ever came so here I am now.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2018

Value

I have had 2 experiences in this hospital. First a double knee replacement, two weeks later returned because of an infection in one of the knees. I never heard a consoling word about the infection , I spent the next 6 weeks on a pick line with anti-None of this was covered by Medicare, so I had to pay $2,000 for the medications. This hospital administration acted as though I were at fault for the infection. A very bad experience! They disclaimed any responsibility. I must say that the nurses, and PT were excellent. I think the food is good but I was too sick to eat.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2014

Value

The staff was courteous and professional and it was well worth the drive from Wilson to Durham to have my surgery performed there. I would use this hospital in the future and will recommend it to others.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2013

Doctors at NORTH CAROLINA SPECIALTY HOSPITAL

We don't currently know which doctors work at this location.