St. Vincent Hospital

Hospital

Rate St. Vincent Hospital

Ratings for St. Vincent Hospital

Value

My brother, 66 year black male with a plan to retire in Jan 2019 when he turns 67 months to retire in his management position at a very good job, with awesome health insurance coverage went to ER on August 13, 2018, he was admitted due to his complaint of stomach pain. During my brother's 4 days admission from August 13 through August 16, he continued to complaint of stomach pain not relieved by pain medication, x-rays of the chest were taken, cardiac work up was done which was fine, upper GI was done which revealed a small ulcer. He continued to complain about stomach pain, in fact, one nursing staff was making a derogatory side comment to her co-workers in the nursing station while my sister in law was passing through the nursing station, this particular nurse said. "I am tired of that man in room***, he kept complaining of stomach pain asking for pain medicine". My sister in law did not confront her she just shook her head. Upon discharge from St. Vincent, I took my brother to his primary doctor due to unresolved stomach pain not attended to by St. Vincent and we requested the medical records, a total of 126 pages was produced and upon review no ct-scan was done, I discussed the lack of ct-scan with my primary physician who agreed that a ct-scan of the stomach is necessary, an order was placed in for a ct-scan and on August 30 the ct-scan revealed a stage IV pancreatic cancer, which took my brother out on October 14, 2014. A Ct-scan between august 13-16 could have made the difference cause it was an aggressively grown tumor which grow from 3.8cm to 5.2cm within a month of initial diagnosis, who knows the tumor was between 2cm or less at the time my brother was complaining of an unbearable stomach pain which St. Vincent's nursing staff made a mockery off and treating physicians did not see it fit to exam the stomach the area of primary complaint.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2018

I have had four surgical procedures done there. Very satisfied. Ken Tankersley

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

Value

ER SYSTEM IS MANAGED TERRIBLY. Had elderly family member admitted numerous times with GI/GU problems from terminal cancer. TRIAGE IS A JOKE.. Consistently saw same poor care every visit. One trip: young female nurse in triage spent whole time chatting with security and NEVER checked on patients once her paperwork was done. While sitting there for 3 hours with 80+yo with bright red blood as urine, saw diabetic with broken leg have to call family to bring in food to prevent blood sugar crash. She was in a wheelchair so she couldn't use vending machines I brought her a soda. (Had x-rays and was cleared to eat. ) No staff followed up on diabetic with trauma.. Person with a workplace cut needing sutures sat for over 2 1/2 hours, then got told to fill in paperwork and call employer so they would be seen. (Wounds generally aren't sutured after a couple of hours because causes infection.) Then saw bright yellow (jaundiced), vomiting, 80lb terminal cancer patient left moaning in wheelchair for almost an hour near soda machines. I thought he might die waiting his condition was so poor. Back in the actual treatment area, I saw as many as 5 nursing staff lined up in a row, resting against the counter, all playing with their phones. Kept checking- they stood there for 20minutes at a time. This while the waiting room was full of patients. I worked as charge nurse of a busy ER in Dallas every weekend for years. I understand there's waiting on tests and doctors, but you are SUPPOSED to monitor your patients. Putting the least experienced person in triage is ridiculous because they don't know how to prioritize, and speed it up. If I'm in charge, and I've got 5 people standing around with nothing to do, I'm finding them something to do! This is management's fault- poor procedures, poor staff training, no initiative. There also seemed to be issues notifying primary doctors about their patients' admissions. One redeeming factor: Once seen, patient interactions with nurses and doctors good. They were knowledgeable and appropriate.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2018

Value

I appreciate the wonderful care I received. They truly live out their mission!

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

Value

Very knowledgeable staff, comfortable rooms and experienced and courteous.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

Value

I would never go back to the emergency room,. Two times after no or incorrect diagnoses should have been enough. The 3rd did me in! I went to another local hospital and was admitted and was diagnosed correctly and my treatment was excellent and my issue resolved. Be careful if you choose St. Vincent's, there are much better choices in Birmingham.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2017

Value

Very considerate, prompt, extremely compassionat, and does not sit around and let you hurt. Comments with other people having to wait before there able to get into the operating room is because the surgeons may run into other difficult situations and they don't just patch you up. They do all they can while they are in there.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2016

Value

Told to be here at 8:00am for surgery. It is 2:33pm now and still waiting to go back for surgery. This is horrible. Said it may be another hour. Wow

flag | Submitted December 3, 2015

Value

Awesome service and they know how to treat you with the uttermost respect when it comes down to your health

flag | Submitted June 14, 2015

Value

They are a clean hospital. But people go there and die normally and if they don't die they are more messed up when they come out that when they went there.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2015

Doctors at St. Vincent Hospital

Dr. David P. Adkison

Dr. David P. Adkison

Rotator cuff, Superb, I am better than 100%, thank you sir

Dr. Ashley Przybysz

Dr. Ashley Przybysz

Latest Rating

Love her!! She goes above and beyond for her patients!!

Dr. Grayson K. Rodgers

Dr. Grayson K. Rodgers

Latest Rating

I have been a patient for 20+ years. I have received excellent care over the years.

Dr. Stephen R. Blair

Dr. Stephen R. Blair

Latest Rating

Dr.Blair is wonderful. As a parent, I(a first-time mom) feel very satisfied and happy to have chosen him as my baby's doctor. He's so easy with kids, have excellent... Read more

Dr. Roxanne R. Travelute

Dr. Roxanne R. Travelute

Latest Rating

Dr. Travelute is a wonderful doctor. She is thorough, knowledgable and has a fantastic bedside manner. I highly recommend her.

Dr. William Guy Patterson

Dr. William Guy Patterson

Latest Rating

Dr. Patterson has been our primary care doctor since 1994. He is simply the best! He cares about his patients and is very kind and considerate. He is willing to list... Read more

Dr. Jeffrey J. Clifton

Dr. Jeffrey J. Clifton

Latest Rating

Great doc. he is a great doctor and is very nice. I like him alot

Dr. Philip J. Fischer

Dr. Philip J. Fischer

Latest Rating

I was extremely pleased with my interactions with Dr Fischer. I would definitely recommend him.

Dr. P. Anthony Saway

Dr. P. Anthony Saway

Latest Rating

Dr. Saway is a excellent doctor though his office staff and their rules leave one feeling an object rather than a person.

Dr. David Hall

Dr. David Hall

Latest Rating

Dr Hall is the standard all other doctors should try to be. Listens and takes all the time you need. To bad I can not rate 10 stars !