Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Marvin (Rick) Sponaugle

If people on here are questioning treatment, then they didn't pay attention. I was falling asleep at the wheel, so excessively tired, before I went to Dr. Sponaugle. At the same time, I had so much anxiety and fear that I couldn't function. I dreaded talking to people, and could not attend university classes. That all changed once I made the journey to see him. Dr. Sponaugle educates his patients about biochemistry, pharmacology, their underlying conditions, more than any other physician I have met or heard of. Other patients said the same. He has 5 hour workshops where he explains the mechanisms by which we patients are sick, and how to correct them. When Mayo clinic prescribes something, do you think they will spend 5 hours explaining why and how they work? The amount of people I met at Sponaugle Wellness that left Mayo clinic, or places like it, to find treatment that actually works is astounding. Anyone unsure of things most likely didn't go to the patient workshops that I did, listen to him explain these mechanisms everyday in the clinic, or read anything out of the HUGE patient packet of medical studies and other information he gives to EVERY patient. Is the place perfect? No place is. But if you are looking for someone that actually understands the biochemistry involved with chronic illness, what infections to look for that might mimic your "conventional" basket diagnosis like fibromyalgia and others, how medications actually work on receptor sites and ion channels, what causes the side effects, then there is no better place to go.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2017

As a mother and caregiver of a current patient receiving treatment as Sponaugle Wellness, I can’t possibly put into words how much Dr. Sponaugle means to our family and the patients here. Saying he is brilliant just isn’t saying enough. His mind is like a beautiful mind. There is a reason he is invited to speak before fellow integrative physicians at conferences, his brain is unlike any other. His tireless dedication to finding the underlying cure has kept him in and out the clinic all weekend long, not just for my child, but for about 4 other patients. This man dedicates his every hour to this practice and as a parent on ground you see that. It’s a shame to see malicious comments. If you have doubt, come to the clinic or find us parents on social media. We can speak on our current experience. Trust me, there even a mother all the way from Columbia with her son and daughter here, her husband employs 800 doctors himself. If that’s not saying something than I don’t know what does. I really hope the negative energy stops because I know what it’s like to have little hope left, and I will confirm, along with anyone here, there is hope as Sponaugle Wellness. God bless!

flag | Submitted October 16, 2017

I'm so thankfor Dr. Sponaugle! He has helped me tremendously will my stomach issues, brain fog, migraine headaches, chronic fatigue and several other health issues I had. My health issues were caused by mold toxicity. I had seen several doctors before going to Dr. Sponaugle and none of the doctors were able to give me any diagnoses or reasons for my symptoms. I'm so thankful that I have my health and energy back!

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

It took Dr. Sponaugle just 2 weeks to help my husband's major depression and overwhelming anxiety. After trying the hospital and several psychiatrists, I brought my husband to Sponaugle Wellness Institute where I was a Lyme/Mold toxicity patient. After extensive testing, Dr. Sponaugle was able to pinpoint the underlying reasons for his symptoms. In a few days of IV therapy and supplementation, his anxiety was under control and within 2 weeks, his deep depression lifted so that he was able to return to work while continuing his treatment. In a previous episode of depression and anxiety, it took 1.5 years to get my husband to the same condition that he was at SWI in two weeks. Nothing short of a miracle. Thank you, Dr. Sponaugle, for digging deep and assessing my husband's whole body and mind.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

Sponaugle wellness healed me and educated me on my body and my mind. I have been ill for over 25 years and functioning at below level. I went to every doctor imaginable and was met with statement like it's all in your mind, or just reduce your stress and you will be fine. I sought solace in the holistic community for years trying Accupuncture, Pranic healing, massage, Ayurvedic treatment, cleanses, lymph drainage, etc. you name it and I tried it. These solutions would help for a little while and sometimes even make me worse. I soon find out from dr. Sponaugle that this is biofilm busting in my system with toxins and bacteria inside it - thus pumping what was hidden in my body into my fragile immune system. The mental toll my illness had on me was indescribable. Living wasn't living. In aug 2015 - I lost a day. I woke up but I don't remember a thing. That was the beginning of my demise as June 2016 came and I was disabled. Stroke like speech, balance gone, eyes distorted, twitching, numb and tingling body, burning feet (which I had for 20 years), memory loss, brain fog (had for many years) chronic constipation, urinary infections with no bacteria growth, anxiety, rage (over 20 years worsened), depression etc. I was diagnosed with Lyme in aug 2016 but went a all antibiotic route. This did not help me, I found sponaugle wellness while researching why people don't get better when being diagnosed with Lyme and using antibiotics. BIOFILM is immune to antibiotics. My immune system was dying and so was I. After 4 months at sponaugle I was able to come home and function. I have some gut lining issues to heal but I am well on my way to health which has alluded me for 25+ years. Detoxing my body of mold, industrial toxins, Lyme, bartonella, babesia and brucellosis was something I never could have imagined. But doc sponaugles protocol is what it took. I now understand how to protect myself in the future as well as live a fuller life. He saved me in many ways which is impossible to place a price tag or value on. Thank you doctor sponaugle and the dedicated staff who made my journey successful and memorable. 🌞❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

After too many years of stress, PTSD, and chronic fatigue; I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Dr. Sponaugle's integrative treatment helped me gain back my health and I now live pain free. It was a process and took time to feel relief. I would recommend him to my children, my friends and family, and anyone suffering from chronic pain. I also personally witnessed multiple patients go from wheelchairs to walking and/or dancing after treatment.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2017

Dr. Marvin (Rick) Sponaugle's response
At Sponaugle Wellness Institute we appreciate your review and the opportunity to be a part of your journey to wellness. *Sponaugle Wellness Institute cannot guarantee individual patient outcomes. Treatment results will vary from patient to patient.

Submitted June 7, 2017

Since 2015, I have been to countless physicians and specialists. All of them missed my illness. I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune disorder and here’s the kicker… mental instability. The infectious disease specialist told me my symptoms were psychosomatic and I was suffering from anxiety and panic disorder and creating symptoms in my head. I was shuffled from doctor to doctor for months taking numerous medications that did not work with no explanation as to what was causing my symptoms. Frustrated and discouraged that the only answers the medical community could give me was that I was mentally ill and I needed to be medicated for that. It didn’t feel right so I kept searching. I came to the Sponaugle Wellness Institute in November 2016 after being treated at another local clinic called LifeWorks Wellness Center which caused more harm to my body than healing. They did not do weekly labs to make sure my body was detoxing properly and I spent my first 8 weeks of treatment there without seeing a single test result. No other doctors or clinics I visited were able to understand the brain the way Dr. Sponaugle does. He also was able to diagnose me with a heart condition called WPW that other cardiologists and Lyme specialists missed. I was sent into severe tachycardia while being treated at LifeWorks and was given zero guidance on what was happening to me. The Sponaugle Wellness Institute is extremely on top of every aspect of patient care. Dr. Sponaugle's comprehensive testing was able to give me answers to my health problems that no other clinic was able to. He was able to figure out that the infection had spread to my brain and was causing all of my neurological problems as well as figuring out where my cardiac problems were coming from. I am so grateful I found Dr. Sponaugle when I did because I was becoming so ill and was losing hope. Dr. Sponaugle's expertise in brain research has led him to develop an unparalleled detoxification program to help alleviate symptoms related to chronic lyme disease, mold toxicty and industrial toxicity. This is the best I've felt since getting sick. Having the knowledge I now do, I am prepared to keep moving forward in the healing process and gain my life back. Dr. Sponaugle and his staff are truly kind and caring and SWI has become like a family to me. I am so blessed to have found this place of healing and I am forever grateful for the time I have spent there. I would encourage anyone who is suffering from a chronic illness to trust Dr. Sponaugle with their care and give SWI a chance. It has changed my life.

Submitted April 25, 2017

Submitted June 7, 2017

This is my 19th week of treatment at the Sponaugle Wellness Institute. I've been debilitatingly ill for more than 12 years. I was shocked to learn that I had mold and industrial toxicity as well as Lyme disease and co-infections. I wasn't expecting that! It took more than 6 months for me to decide whether to come here or not, and there were a few things that helped me to make my decision. I'm a former Oncology Nurse so I'm not an easy sell and initially I was very skeptical. And then I read about his daughter's recovery from Lyme disease and listened to Dr. Sponaugle's webinar - that really made a difference for me. PET scans don't lie and I was intrigued by his philosophy in treating this illness, the way he looks at the big picture in a way no other doctor is doing. How his treatment protocols are customized daily for each patient and help rebuild the body while treating the Lyme. The herxes I've experienced while in treatment here have been so well managed by the staff with their supportive "clean up" protocols. I've never felt so well taken care of and it's a huge relief because living in Canada means DIY Lyme and it's exhausting! I trust Doc with my life and trust is not something that comes easily for me. I belive in him and the remarkable work that he is doing. I knew he was my best shot at recovery. Not long before I came down to Tampa for treatment, I was having difficulty sorting out the finances and I felt so much discouragement and despair that I had called Dignitas in Switzerland to apply for their end of life program. I had even started to tell my friends. I had no desire to die, I simply didn't want to live a half life in a broken body anymore. I knew that this was my last chance of recovery. Thankfully it worked out and I'm doing remarkably better. For more than a decade, I've suffered with these horrific full body attacks that resemble a seizure. That one symptom ruined my life. Now I'm doing so much better, those attacks have greatly diminished and I rarely need my canes to walk! Doc has not only helped heal my body, he is giving me my life back. I am grateful. Cecile Gough, Patient Advocate, RN

flag | Submitted December 13, 2016

Submitted June 7, 2017

I am a toxicologist and everyone MUST IGNORE ALL BAD REVIWES about Dr.Sponaugle. When we found out that my sister had chronic late stage Lyme disease, I called Lyme clinics around the world to find the right doctor and treatment to save my sister's life! Sponaugle Wellness Institute and Dr. Sponaugle was the only place that I knew would be able to help my sister. Dr. Sponaugle does extensive testing including PET scans to fully diagnose and treat all of his patients. He cares for every single one of his patients and takes the time to explain not only all test results but also treatments. He uses a combination of eastern and western medicines, as well as nutrition and nutritional supplementation to combat the illnesses that are reeking havoc on his patients bodies. My sister has been here for twelve weeks and is getting better. She had so many infections ravaging her body that her own immune system could not even function. Now, her immune system is working and killing like crazy! Everyone of his staff members are exceptional individuals. They all love and care for every single one of their patients, it is like a giant family at Sponaugle Wellness! I cannot say enough good things about this man and his entire staff! I would recommend him to anyone who needs help not only with Lyme disease, but any illness that other doctors have said " it is in your head" or "there is nothing we can do to help you".

flag | Submitted September 10, 2016

Submitted June 7, 2017

I brought my wife ten weeks ago on a wheelchair from Canada after exhausting all local options for her deteriorating condition of presumable viral encephalitis. She had slurred speech, daily seizures and total paralysis, with heavy neurological symptomatology that was outsourced to fibromyalgia, pain syndrome and all kinds of not sense making conclusions by 20 doctors we saw prior to coming here. Dr. Sponaugle and his competent staff immediately diagnosed double strand meningitis brain infection damaging the central nervous system and her right side of the brain and body.They did extensive testing, PET scan images and review of prior tests and treatments. Dr. Sponaugle was the only one to pinpoint capillary leak disorder/Clarkson disease, which is life threatening condition, and to stay with us until late daily by my wife's side to stabilize her. I can boldly testify that he combines traditional antibiotics with natural supplements using classic functional medicine approaches. After seven years of my wife deteriorating and simply dying, she is now on her way to steady improvements, no speech slurring and stuttering, no tremors on right and no seizures. Her facial paralysis is now released. We are confident that thanks to Dr Sponaugle's competence, she will continue improving and she will walk again one day. Dr. Sponaugle has been the answer to our health journey of seven years that was going steadily downhill prior to finding him and being taken care by him and his staff. All our gratitude goes to him for his exceptional compassion, competence and care. Kapka and Stan Petrov from Canada

flag | Submitted March 7, 2016

Dr. Marvin (Rick) Sponaugle's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Marvin "Rick" Sponaugle, Director of Sponaugle Wellness Institute, is an integrative physician with extraordinary brain expertise having treated over 9,000 patients who were suffering with various psychological, neurological disorders, Lyme disease, and other chronic illness.

• English

• West Virginia University (Grad. 1982)
  • University of Florida (Grad. 1985)

• Lyme disease