Ratings for Dr. Marcel Dvorak

dr.dvorak is clear, thorough, and straight to the point with every aspect of spinal fusion surgery. Every patient is treated equally fantastic given their efforts mirror the surgeon and his team

flag | Submitted July 3, 2017

Almost 10 years ago, I had a bad fall at my son's house under construction in Vancouver, BC. Dr. Dvorak operated me for the spinal cord injury. He later continued looking at the progress I was making. To date I have no back pain or any issues relating to my surgery or accident. A highly recommended surgeon at VGH.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2017

It will be 2 years in July , I had back surgery performed by Dr.Marcel Dvorak. I got the best care from Dr. Dvorak and his staff. My recovery was fast, 2 months after my surgery, I was able to go back to my normal life , Yoga, Hiking in the mountains, snowshoeing etc etc. He is the best THANK YOU

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

Although my surgery was booked and then cancelled for emergencies 5 times I cannot say enough about Dr.Dvorak. I was only 17 when I suffered my back injury and lived with it for a year and a half but Dr.Dvorak gave me my life back...I know many people who had the same surgery with other surgeons and still have pain but 5 years later and my back is still pain free. Highly recommend him to anyone suffering with back/disc issues!

flag | Submitted May 19, 2016

I had a spinal fusion in 2001 done by Dr. Dvorak and his team. They were great. The first few years post- surgery were difficult mainly because I waited for way too long, maybe 15 years too long to go through with the surgery. What helped me overcome my fear was the thorough manner in which Dr. Dvorak answered all my many many questions. This helped tremendously and I will always be grateful for the amount of time he took with me. I recommend; 1. don't put needed surgery off for too long as other pain and nerve complications may result, and 2. research your questions, write them down so when you meet with the surgeon you can use the time really effectively and have your questions discussed thoroughly. I have experienced a marked improvement in pain and function the last few years and have been able to become much more active.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2014

I was told by numerous docs that there wasn't a surgeon on the planet that would do the surgery I needed to live. I was 19 years old, given 1 year to walk and 5 years to live. Tumor wrapped fully around my spinal cord. 9 years cancer free, no one would notice I've had 40 hours of back surgery. Playing sports, living an amazing life.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2014

I was very nervous for my appointment as I waited a year and a half (with severe chronic back pain) to see him (this is not the doctor's fault, this is the fault of the BC healthcare system) His booking clerk was friendly and apologetic for the waiting list even though she had no control over it. Dr. Dvorak was able to put me at ease and when I started crying he offered tissues and words of support and encouragement. He was very attentive, made sure he understood my symptoms and concerns and was very easy to talk to. He is very thourough, willing to explain how he comes to his conclusions and in my case he called for more tests "stat" as he felt he did not have enough information for a definite diagnosis and he took into consideration that I came from out of town to see him. His front desk staff was friendly and did their best to schedule my follow up appointment for as soon as possible as well as giving directions for how to get to where I needed to be.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2013

As Head of the Spinal Surgery Team Dr. Dvorak commands a great deal of respect within the medical community. The fact that practicing surgeons from other countries seek fellowships with him speaks for itself. I found him to be straightforward, with a no-nonsense attitude, explaining everything that needed to be done and carrying through with it in the operating theatre. Patients expecting someone to hold their hand and soft-soap them can forget it. This guy has raised the science of surgery to an art-form and he and his team, including the ward staff have nothing but my admiration.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2012

Was very clear about what the problem was, what they could do to fix it, how it would affect me. My surgery went great, exactly as Dr Dvorak explained.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2012

He saved my life, and is the only reason why I can walk today.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2012