Ratings for Dr. Janet Ellsworth

BEST DOCTOR EVER!!!!! I was diagnosed with JIA (Juvenile idiopathic arthritis) in early 2011 and it was a super painful experience. I was admitted into the hospital for 2 months and they performed tons and tons of tests before they diagnosed me with JIA. There is no explanation to why I first got but after I was diagnosed they sent me to Dr. Ellsworth. She is such an amazing and sweet person, always made me laugh and made me feel very comfortable. Her nurse Margaret is super sweet and caring. Dr. Ellsworth really took the time to treat me and make sure I am cured in the least painful way possible. The journey to my healing took about 2-3 years. The first year (or year and half) she gave me 2 types of pills that worked for a bit and maintained the pain somewhat but after a while I kind of became immune to them and they stopped working and the pain came back. Next step, she assigned me to a medication called "Tocilizumab (Actemra)" which you had to go to the hospital for every few weeks and it is inserted by an I.V. The medication was very expensive though, but my insurance covered it all (you want to make sure you're insurance covers medication, mainly ones taken in by I.V., because they can be quite expensive). I was on the medication for approx. 1.5 years and I am completely cured. I am 16 years old now and have been off every medication for more than a year and I'm healthy and pain free and back to playing all the sports that I had to put a hold on. Dr. Ellsworth, Margaret and the rest of the staff have honestly changed my life and I am extremely grateful for that. HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Dr. Ellsworth.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2016

Her nurse Margaret is not nice at all. She doesn't care about trying to help you find coverage for these terribly expensive drugs. If you try to question her about something she will be rude. Working with patients and parents is not her forte. She doesn't like her job. Dr Ellsworth is great. She means well.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

The nurse who you first see is so rude and does not talk to my daughter at all. Acts like she is invisible. She is not professional. My daughter is treated well. You need to have a half day booked to go to one of her clinics as no one is in a hurry at all.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2015

She lacks professionalism and compassion. She also refuses to acknowledge new and current studies within Canadian medical organizations. When we were discussing other treatment options, she didn't like what we had to say and she walked out mid-appointment. Her behaviour seems to go against the Canadian Medical Association's code of ethics. Fortunately, Edmonton will soon have possibly two new Pediatric Rheumatologists giving caregivers other options other than travelling to Calgary Children's Hospital.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2014

Excellent doctor. She has taken care of my daughter for many years now and I know she has her best interest at heart. However her nurse is not helpful at all and I believe she is just putting her time in to retirement. She doesn't greet my child and when I tried to compliment her on something she seemed rather annoyed. I need to take an ativan before my appointments in order to put up with the nurse but after I pass her and see the rest they are like family now.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2013

Wasted our time seeing her. Without even seeing her, prescribed a high dose of steroids (that did NOT work), then sent us home. When issues arose with the meds she denied that it could possibly be the medication causing the issues. She passed off my child's pain as 'normal'. Refused to admit that our concerns were valid and had no compassion what so ever. We're no wiser after seeing her, but the condition remains.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2013

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Juvenile Arthritis when I was 2 and I am now 18. She is the best doctor I have had and I would gladly recommend her. She is very knowledgable and friendly. She always does what is best for the patient. I feel like over the years I have developed a personal relationship with her as well as her physical therapist. I am sad that I have to leave her now that I am 18 but I am happy for the 16 years I have seen her and how much she has helped me. I 100% recommend her if you have a child who may be suffering from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2012

AMAZING!! i have hated doctors my whole life, but Dr.Ellsworth has totally changed my perspective on them. She is like my auntie now :)

flag | Submitted August 20, 2012

Excellent Dr. Great patient care and acceptional bed side manner. Makes the child feel very very comfortable.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2010

My daughter and I feel like Dr. Ellsworth saved our lives. My daughter was diagnosed by Dr. Ellsworth with JRA just under the age of 2. She is now almost 9. In those 7 years Dr. Ellsworth has managed to turn my daughter's life around. She went from barely walking to playing floor hockey and running in a track meet last week. Her staff is all knowledgeable and there to help every step of the way. As for being punctual, I have never met a doctor as punctual as this lady. In short, she's amazing!!!

flag | Submitted June 4, 2009