Ratings for Dr. Joan W. Barkin

Dr. Barkin is a wonderful pediatrician. She has never steered us wrong. She cares about my daughter, never pushes an unnecessary treatment, and works hard to keep costs low for the parents. She has an enormous wealth of experience to draw from but also keeps on top of medical news. I have never once found her to be condescending -- I'm not sure what the other reviewers experienced, but she has always been great with us. I highly recommend her!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2014

Both of our children have been with Dr Barkin for several years. She is bad but bearable when the kids are healthy, but absolutely worthless when kids are sick. Dr Barkin is very opinionated and cares more about her opinions than her patients. She has absolutely no respect for parents, and lectures down to us at each visit. She is very rough with the children. She is a horrible diagnostician -- Claritin is her answer to any and all issues. At the last visit we had a physical fight with Dr Barkin after she ignored our very specific request not to pull back our son's foreskin. We will be leaving Dr Barkin's practice immediately.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2014

She has interesting points, but very opionated and does not listen to a parent. One time she left the room even not ansewring my qestion.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2012

Dr. Barkin is rough with the kids, and condescending to parents. She is also very opinionated (why is a pediatrician lecturing her patients on politics?) If you disagree on any point, she will chastise you as ignorant and tell you that because she knows "Dr So-and So" at Harvard (they're always at Harvard)--she knows the truth. She is perhaps the worst diagnostician I have ever encountered. When my son broke his leg, she had us in the hospital testing him for leukemia and she allowed my son's Lyme Disease to go untreated for almost 6 weeks when she refused to test him for it despite the trademark bull's-eye rash. When she did finally agree to test him--she tested him for everything else under the sun and our bill from Quest Diagnostics (not covered by insurance) was over $600. Read the other reviews on ALL sites--posted by ACTUAL PARENTS not by her office staff. You will see the same complaints repeated over and over.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2011

Takes her time with the children and parents. We are lucky to have Dr Barkin, especially as 1st time young parents. She explains issues thoroughly and is happy to answer questions. Very available during off-hours. The appointments seemed to last forever in the beginning, and now that our son is ~3 yrs old I sometimes feel a bit rushed.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2011

Dr. Barkin is a real doctor, she does not leave a stone unturned. She is thorough, knowledgeable and very attentive. Coming from Canada, missing our extraordinary doctor, she made us happy again! We love you, Dr. Barkin!

flag | Submitted March 8, 2011