Ratings for Dr. John Kwak

Dr. Kwak himself is knowledgeable and competent. His staff are the worst. Good luck getting in to see him on a regular basis.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2018

Dr. Kwak was professional but a bit stiff. His manner, though courteous, seemed a bit unnatural; as though he is was following proscribed dos and don'ts rather than showing a real concern or empathy.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2018

Contrary to the other reviews I found Dr. Kwak to be very compassionate, patient and knowledgeable when I saw him today. He was referred by my Family doctor. He answered my questions without hesitation and I felt very at ease with him. Nice bedside manner and a great doctor. Thank you so much for your kindness. I will not hesitate to go back again. The receptionist was also very pleasant.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2018

The worst doctor ever seen in my life. Of course I have no reason to doubt his medical knowledge and experience. However, from what he did to my 94 yr old mother few days ago, I have again all the reasons to believe that all those observations & negative reviews on Dr Kwak are very true and relevant. I accompanied my mother to see Dr Kwak for her recent dizziness spells perhaps due to an ear infection. On the day of visit, my mother had already recovered from her dizziness. Due to her age, she is understandably fragile and weak. She was asked to climb up the bed. As soon as she was assisted to sit with both legs on the bed, Dr Kwak immediately, with little or no warning, pushed her down to lie flat and pushing her head further down at level below the bed. This action came so sudden that shocked both my mother and me. My mother immediately screamed with her eyes shut crying that she was fainting, feeling dizzy and nauseous. While her eyes were closed tightly reacting to the dizziness, Dr Kwak, used both his hands and all the fingers to force her eyes to open. The struggling lasted for about a minute and the examination was subsequently aborted. Instead of comforting the 94 yr old patient, Dr Kwak kept complaining that my mother was not cooperating. He said he had already missed the “golden” opportunity to observe how her eyes reacted during the “fall” & this was a sub-optimal (?) examination. In a summary, throughout the struggle during Dr Kwan’s examination, Dr Kwak shows no sign of compassion for his patient’s discomfort. At end of the examination, he ignored my mother’s dizziness and inability to stand on her own. We were asked to quickly leave the examination room to enable him seeing another patient. On our trip home, my mother vomited heavily in the car. Back home, she was bedridden for about 24 hours before attaining less than 50% of her normal mobility level. This is the worst doctor I have ever seen. Poor manner. Poor communication skill. Most of all, absolutely ruthless and lack of compassion.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2018

THIS DOCTOR IS SO RUDE!!!! i had taken my mother to him because she was referred to him by our family doctor and i cant believe the way he spoke to us. During the whole appt all he kept on saying is that i dont undestand why you came to me if you paid a specialist in vancouver for a consult you should have asked him the questions not me. im not getting paid $200 for this. He asks you what he can do for you but doesn't let you answer, he keeps on talking and doesn't let you speak and when you try he tells you to listen to him. There is something wrong with him, if your a doctor you need to listen to your patients to see what there diagnosis is otherwise you are in the wrong profession. He is getting paid to see us anyways and he doesn't even help. We were in and out in 5-10 mins after listening to all his BS of why did we even come to him and how we should go back to the specialist and pay him for many instead of wasting his time. Even my mother was saying in between the appt that he is very upset and rude i dont know why??? If you want to go to a doctor that doesn't listen to you, is very rude, and wont help you in anyway most definitely go to him because he is a total waste of time. I would never ever recommend him to anyone i know. I work in the medical field myself and we would never treat a patient the way he does, dealt with many physician's in the years of working in a hospital and never encountered anything like this before. HORRIBLE DOCTOR !!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted April 5, 2018

Worst doctor I have seen in my life, he did not let me ask any questions, no patience at all, so rude, will not come back.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2018

This guy is just like every review says. I didn’t even get a chance to get a word in, he talked the whole apt and wouldn’t listen to anything I had to say. As soon as I could get a word in, he said “let me finish” and just kept saying that until he ushered me out of the office with the same drops the last ENT gave me that disnt work at all. He was rude and an idiot

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

Worst doctor I've ever been to. Personality and bedside manner of an absolute snake. Got his way through medical school , probably memorized the books. Absolutely no business, being in a people driven industry such as medicine. Complete and utter disappointment

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews before choosing this doctor. VERY RUDE! Especially on following up check after surgery. Didn’t give useful suggestions except blaming patient not following instruction well. Looks like he just want to do surgery on you to make money (necessary or not), then kick you out.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2018

I live in out of town and his office went over and above to accommodate my schedule for my consultation. I found his receptionist to be extremely helpful, knowledgeable and kind. I also work in healthcare and over my 15 plus years I have met and worked with all personality types. Dr. Kwak may have a more distant bedside manner however I am ok with that as I'm looking for a great technical surgeon not a friend. That sounds harsh but its true. Surgery from a patient's prospective is scary and often the information is overwhelming. I understand the need for empathy and some people are great at it and for others its more difficult or comes off awkwardly distant. Some of the best doctors I've worked with were more to one side of the spectrum yet their surgical skills are second to none. I had read the reviews prior to meeting him and was well prepared for my consultation. I had reviewed my diagnoses prior and felt that we have a great dialogue. He was honest and informative about my options, the procedure and my risks. He was extremely patient with my questions. I found his no muss no fuss approach refreshing. I'm not interested in hand holding, I personally need the facts. This may be a type A thing but theres always limited doctor time and I have questions. The time for emotions in my opinion is once I've left and can sort through the information I was able to get. So in my opinion I recommend him. No one Dr. will be for every patient, if you're unsure seek a 2nd opinion and you may find a better fit. :)

flag | Submitted February 3, 2018