Ratings for Dr. Lorne Brandes

dr breandes saved my life in 1999 again in 2008 as well saved my best friend in 1983

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016

Dr. B is my Oncologist and was my sisters also...when Her Cancer came back we didn't think She would make it to the end of the month Dr. B got Her 2 more years which I will forever be thankful for....I got BC and I asked for Him because I know for a fact that He fights for His patients and I needed someone to fight for me and now I am still here 5 1/2 years later.....

flag | Submitted December 9, 2014

This man is very arrogant and does not genuinely care about patient care. Be prepared to stroke his ego.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2014

fabulous knowledgeable good bedside manner. This gentleman eased my mind and was wonderful explaining everything. His staff were also excellent

flag | Submitted December 9, 2013

DR BRANDES AND HIS ASSISTANT MIA ARE A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN. TOO BAD MOST OF THEIR PATIENTS WIND UP THERE. THEY ARE BOTH RUDE, DISRESPECTFUL AND SHOW NO COMPASSION FOR THEIR PATIENTS. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED SO POORLY. I ALSO TRIED TO VOICE MY CONCERNS TO CANCER CARE MB COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT. MIA CALLED ME TO CONFRONT ME ABOUT COMPLAINING ABOUT THEM. THE LAST TIME I SAW THEM WAS 10 MONTHS AFTER BEING TREATED FOR BREAST CANCER, I HAD SORE RIBS ON MY BREAST CANCER SIDE, I LEFT THERE FEELING BELITTLED, MY CONCERNS WERE HARDLY ADDRESSED, I HAVE NO IDEA IF ANYTHING IS WRONG WITH ME OR NOT AND I WAS TOLD TO SEE MY FAMILY DR FROM NOW ON. DR BRANDES WAS VERY ARGUMENTIVE AND DEFENSIVE AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY. TERRIBLE TREATMENT OF PATIENTS, HE SHOULD RETIRE FROM TREATING PATIENTS IF HE DOES NOT LIKE PEOPLE.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2013

I saw Dr. Brandes recently for breast cancer and to determine whether I needed chemo and radiation after my lumpectomy. The first thing he said to me was 'How did your mestectomy go?" I had a lumpectomy --- He said I nether needed chemo or radiation. I insisted on seeing a radiologist and yes I did need radiation. Of course, when the report was typed it sounded ok - report by first dr. Amazing that this is going on when a person has such a serious disease like cancer.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2012

Want to know the kind of person Dr. Lorne Brandes is? As someone who has known (and worked with) him for 21 years, I know that he advocates strongly for his patients so that they receive the best possible care with no undue delay (eg. walking over from his clinic to the c.t. dept. in the Health Sciences Centre to expedite an urgent scan - and personally going over the films with the radiologist; writes condolence letters to patients families; will comb a pathology report line by line - and will phone the pathologist if there appears to be an error or discrepancy (often effecting a change in treatment/diagnosis); agonizes when he must give patients the news that their cancer has recurred). He is a clinician and researcher, knowledgeable, and empathetic. And he does not accept the status quo that bogs down the healthcare system.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2009

When I read the 5/5 review I was convinced it must be someone else. I've given him 2 for knowledge because I don't know how good it is. But even there he struck me as rigidly set in his old views and not able or willing to open to other suggestions. It's the way he treats and talks to his patients though which appalls me. I meet him with my sick girlfriend as I didn't believe what she'd told me about him. He's patronizing and completely lacking in compassion. I'm convinced he wasn't behaving worse because he checked himself because of me there with her. He refused to accept her request and point of view. There was no conversation, he was like a headmaster in a 19th century public school. A measure of a good doctor is not only his knowledge but also compassion towards those in distress, facing grueling, debilitating treatment, and sometimes even worse. He has none. This man should not be a doctor and to me isn't one, because in my view textbook knowledge alone doesn't make you one.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2009

Completely lacks respect for patient's personal decisions regarding their health. Not at all supportive. Seems to think the answer is 100% what he determines and there are no other alternatives. Very disappointing first visit. I felt belittled and extremely disrespected. Wish I was referred to someone else.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2009

During our first meeting, after I had just been informed of my cancer, brandes asked how I felt about my cirumstances. I told him I was planning to live my live as normally as possible. brandes ignored my response and actually bgan yelling at me, stating how difficult it was for him to have to tell people they had cancer. After I had had an adverse reaction to an anti-emetic (it sent me to the emergency room with horrifyng side effects) brandes refused to change the medication, despite my fears. Thankfully the nurses refused to administer the original medication as prescribed by brandes. He refused to let me read my chart and even made some lame jokes ("did you read the part where I said you were going to die") when I told him about getting to read my chart. Avoid brandes like a bad case of cancer.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2009