Ratings for Dr. April D'Aloisio

This therapist uses a self-help book called "Hold Me Tight" as her guideline in couples therapy. She said she does not practice cognitive / behavioural therapy -- widely considered the best-researched and most effective form of therapy -- but could not articulate what school of treatment she did follow or practice (beyond the methods outlined in the book). While this might be a wonderful book, its formula -- aimed at "creating a lifetime of love" -- is not going to be appropriate for couples who are in true crisis, and who are not yet at that point. In her efforts to get us to respond in a way the fit the "Hold Me Tight" formula, this therapist pressed us over and over to express emotions and thoughts that were, in fact, not being experienced (but that were expected, per the formula). Clients should also know that she keeps two large standard poodles, Cocoa and Lulu, in the consultation room during treatment (!).

flag | Submitted September 18, 2013

I saw April several years ago. She was most helpfu;l. I had to quit seeing her because the Wcb stopped payng and unfortunately I could not afford to pay her fees. I would gladly pay anything to be able to sit and talk thru my problems with her .I have never been as good as when I was seeing her. I continue to go downhill. She was a huge help to me and anyone who has the chance to go to her for help should, She is awesome. I just wish I could see my way clear to be able to continue my sessions with her but that is not to be. But please if you can see April see her. She will help you to such a great extent you will be lost when you stop seeing her unless you are better. Best help I had for my depression. Better then all the medications I take and still do not feel or function as well as when I spent tome with my hero April and her trusty side kicks Lulu and Coco. Thanks for all the help. Miss you April. I think you were my only friend,

flag | Submitted November 6, 2011

April is absolutely fabulous. Being a dog lover and having Lulu with me really lowered my anxiety level. I was referred to April by a friend. She[April] is easy to talk to and is very genuine in her aproach to counseling. I highly recommend her. D.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2010

I worked with April for a period of three and a half years and I am grateful to her every day for the tools and insights she provided, as well as for her support during a really awful crisis in my life. Even now, at dinner tables in Halifax, I hear she has been referred to by one of her peers as "the best psychologist in the province." I've recommended April to several people over the years, all of whom have been not only satisfied, but inspired.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2010

I saw Dr. D'Aloisio a couple years ago, and she helped a lot with my initial issue that I went to see her for. After a year of seeing her, and successfully deaing with my issue, I feel she created new issues in me just to keep me coming back. I started to feel aweful to see her, and think she was mean. I felt so bad about my self after leaving her sessions I quit. I am not so sure she was overall in my best interest after we dealt with my initial issue. I do no recomend her to my friends.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2010

Dr. D'Aloisio is the best. She has been extremely helpful to me. She is easy to talk to and helps you to work things out yourself. I would highly recommend her to anyone who needs a psychologist.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2007