Ratings for Dr. Carter Thorne

I have been a patient for nearly 10 yrs (he is my 3rd Rheumatologist) and can't believe a few of the intentional malicious reviews (I wonder if it is the same person). Are wait times long? yes, but this is the norm for a Dr. of his caliber. He has only so many hours a day and days of the week, so I appreciate the 3 hr wait, once (or more) times a year, rather than no wait time every 4-5 yrs. I love that he has a nurse do the work up for him, and although his face time with me may be brief, he answers every question I ask, and discusses any concerns. I have had student Drs. a few times and have no problem with it because the reality is Dr. Thorne will not be working forever and it's nice to know that there will be Drs. that are trained very well. Speaking of his nurse, she is present throughout ALL his examinations, so it is utterly ridiculous, and slanderous to say he is ever inappropriate. I think it's time that RateMDs verify the identities of it's reviewers, since they allow so-called reviews to trash a Drs. character and cross a legal line. I have no problem revealing who I am, and wonder if the reviewers with the egregious claims are willing to do the same?

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Dr. Thorne is a good doctor, it seems like he has lots of knowledge and he is really care and trying to help. My problem is his unprofessional way of touching you. Leaning very closely towards you and at times whisper into my ear as well as very long hugging handshakes. He might just be a very warm person but he needs to know the boundaries with his patients. Not sure why he us doing it.

Submitted July 22, 2017

He is knowledgeable in his field, but very rushed and long wait times, which he does apologize for.Listens only to his nurse who has done all the preliminary workup before he arrives. A handshake is okay but any other inappropriate touching is not welcome. Either is leaning in too close, staring into your eyes or keeping one hand on your hand while talking. As for pain inquiries, "Take more tylenol" is not acceptable. Writing prescriptions for biphosphonates without explaining the risks (fractures of the femur, terrible heartburn) is not being responsible to the patient. Otherwise he is good and quick to refer to an orthopaedic surgeon which gets you on the fast track if needed.

Submitted March 10, 2017

Dr. Thorne was once a good doctor but he has lost his way. Now he is nothing more than a puppet for the drug companies and has forgotten why he became a doctor in the first place. Huge wait times in his office are the norm, onlynto spend two minutes with Dr, Thorne who is not interested in drug options but always has a needle ready with cortisone...his go to drug of choice which is very out of date. He never has time to review your medications and to suggest or recommend a new one. He is also inappropriate pushing his groin into your knee while giving injections. He also has become full of himself suffering from a God complex now. I once would have recommended him but no more. He offers a below the standard of care and should rethink the road he had travelled down.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

I am a new patient who was squeezed in and had a very positive experience. I had an early appointment in the morning and found the office staff to be very helpful and friendly. I did not have to wait at all and felt very welcome, I was seen by an apprentice Dr. first for my history and medications and then I met Dr. Thorne who assessed everything very thoroughly. He is a very caring compassionate man, treatment was given and I was finished in one hour. Very impressed with the whole office and I look forward to returning if need be.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

Terrible wait times in office, overbooked, staff needs to at least smile more. Dr. Thorne is great if you can get him for more than two minutes.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016

If I could rate punctuality, helpfulness and knowledge lower than one star I would. The wait for the appointment is atrocious- often over 3 hours and then when you do get in a nurse reviews your medications, pain levels and checks your joint movement. Finally his highness will decide to show himself for less than two minutes to review what the nurse has assessed refill your prescription and then leave. God forbid you have a question or want to discuss medication changes. I asked once about pain control measures and was told because my mother-in-law had hip and knee replacements she was cured of her rheumatoid so didn't need to worry about pain management!!! I'm sorry- WHAT! And you are supposed to be an expert I. Your field and are saying this. How about at least suggesting a Tylenol or something. So after waiting for over 3 hours to see the dr for less than five minutes who did nothing, the receptionists of course have left which means we now have to play telephone tag to make the next appointment. I HATE this doctor. But unfortunately he has people so brainwashed that he is helping them, and is the only option that they keep going. He used to care and have time for patients. Now he just plain sucks and people need to look for alternatives. People deserve better care then what he is providing them.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2016

I have been going to Dr. Thorne since 2012. Sometimes I have waited and sometimes have been seen right away but I always go prepared to wait because I will never forget and always appreciate how quickly he saw me (squeezed me in) when I first saw him. He never prescribed the pain medications referred to by another poster here but t was referred to the TAP program where I was taught to manage the pain with little or no medication. Since then, as my health has improved due to the medication I was on (NOT pain killers but DMARDs) and he has reduced my dose to almost 1/2 what I was originally taking. I am ever grateful for that program, Dr Thorne and his team who gave me my life back! He is a gentle, kind, knowledgable, humble and empathic man who wants to help people and I have never seen any evidence of large ego or 'creepiness' mentioned. I must say that I have to wonder about the people reporting such things...

flag | Submitted June 20, 2016

Worst experience I've ever had with a doctor. Everytime I've been I had to wait for 3 hours just see him for 5 minutes. Everytime I leave his office I question why I even bothered going in the first place. I've changed doctors now and the experience is 100 times better. He doesn't provide solutions other then high dosage's of pain medication. I didn't want that to be my only treatment option. His reception desk people are some of the rudest people i have ever met in my life. The parking lot is always so busy that you can't even park to attend your appointment. If you want a creepy doctor that prescribes way to high dosage of pain medication then Doctor Thorne is for you

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

I have been seeing Dr Thorne since 2009. He and his very educated staff do their absolute best to get you assessed and out in a timely manner. I always set aside time to wait because the nature of my disease is unpredictable. With that being said I have had many flares that did not coincide with a routine checkup. His staff have always accommodated my urgency when I couldn't bend a joint or barely get out of bed. I go to his office and wait because I know there are patients that truly need him that day, and am just happy I can keep my appointment. I have been to the family Doctor and once to emerg to try and reverse a flare and they never understand what I need at that time. I am happy he shares his knowledge with the new Doctors but I don't think anyone will have his gift. TAP was started by him and it's an exceptional way for those who attend to achieve self management. THANK YOU

flag | Submitted March 7, 2016