Dr. Stephen Lewis

Outstanding Staff Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Stephen Lewis

There is no words to describe how much emotional and physical pain this surgery has caused me. Nobody understands how much it hurts to trust people with your life and then find out you've been lied to all along. Let me tell you my story: I endured extreme nauseausness and abdominal pain because of a dural (outer covering of spinal cord) tear during my surgery. The health care team suspected I had it yet they did not put me on bed rest to heal. This would have alleviated my symptoms and let me be pain free, but the nurse practitioner, whom I thought I trusted, did not warn me that it could cause nauseausness if I'm not lying in bed. So here I am sitting in a chair telling nurses: I'm nauseous and my stomach hurts. They give me meds and nothing works for 5 days straight. I suffered great abdominal pain because of this and my family was wondering why I was in so much pain. If you thought that sounds painful, let me tell you how bad it is to have screws placed in the wrong spot in your spine. I endured nerve pain from malpositioned screws for another 5 days, the feeling of a knife stabbing your back and ribs... all of this because Dr. Lewis left the country to go to a conference. Do you believe that? If Dr. Lewis did all he could to find out if the dura had been torn before he left, I wouldn't be in so much pain right now and 5 of my nerves wouldn't have been injured rendering my midback numb.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2020

The best of the best!! This man knows what he's doing! Had spinal fusion after years of unbearable pain and now I have my whole life back!! Thank you Dr. Lewis!!!

flag | Submitted September 13, 2019

Dr. Lewis performed my surgery for scoliosis to remove part of the rod and after a few years I had chronic pain, when I saw him about this he said that I should just learn to live with the pain, also told my mother that exercise has no impact and wouldn't help at all (totally wrong it helps a lot with the pain when I do it). Not a friendly doctor nor polite.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2019

Dr. Stephen Lewis is an outstanding ortheopedic surgeon that has given me my quality of life back from being in excruciating pain since 2012. I am almost at the 3 month post-operative mark and I feel like a new person. Thank you so much to you and the wonderful staff at Western Hospital.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2019

Incredible doctor and person. Made me feel so comfortable in a very scary time.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2019

If your daughter has scoliosis the only surgery Dr.Lewis will perform is fusion. There are several doctors in Canada that perform a fusionless surgery for scoliosis called vertebral body tethering. We had VBT performed out of province because sick kids in Toronto only performs fusion on young girls .

flag | Submitted December 14, 2018

Who ever said Dr. Lewis is the best in North America is dead wrong! He is the best in the whole entire world! This man is a blessing from G-d! I walked around with my back looking like the angle of a beautiful downhill ski slope (ie 45 degrees)-the result of some "fine work" by an awful surgeon in a bad part of town and Dr. Lewis came in on a Saturday, during a split 29 hour procedure to repair the damage the other twit of a surgeon had done. Now that takes guts! For a lot of reasons....He is the type of a surgeon that doesn't go to sleep at night knowing somebody out there has a spine that he can fix or improve. He also took a huge risk because when I heard him explaining my other operation to another doctor, it sounded like the other surgeon had used an axe or hacksaw to operate on me or something, so Dr. Lewis had the courage or medical heroics to rise about it and make things right taking the chance that his signature would be on the final piece of work. (me) He admitted that things weren't going to 100% look model perfect at the end and nobody was expecting that. But if you had spent the previous five years in my shoes, I just wanted to be able to put on a pair of shoes without bursting into tears from pain like I had been after a lady who had too much to drink totalled my car with myself my two toddlers in it. They were okay but I wasn't as lucky. Dr. Lewis did a fabulous job on me and I am very happy with the way things turned out. I am over 10 years post surgery now and I do have a few minor issues now but nothing that can't be fixed. (just wear and tear). I am a long distance runner well into my fifties and have run four full marathons!!! In addition to Dr. Lewis finding out that I had walked around the city with a broken bone in my back for four years (I was told it was just bad habits ie posture), he is the kindest man alive-the kind of guy that would call the humane society if his car ran over a squirrel. Not everyone is like that. Put it this way, he still has his heart left inside him after all that specialty training and I cannot say that about every doctor I have met. He doesn't have the typical surgeon personality you know, stone faced, meets you with rubber gloves on, makes surgical jokes that you don't understand and has surgical journals in his waiting room. Dr. Lewis is the real deal. He treats you like a human being. Not a textbook case number with a bunch of symptoms leading to a definitive diagnosis with no name. Sometimes I have to remind myself I am in a doctor's office and not at my friend's house, that's how nice he is! I wouldn't let anyone else operate on me. Dr. Lewis is to the scalpel like Beethoven is to the piano. They were just meant to be together. The only way you will ever believe me is to experience it for yourself. I am not saying you should go for an operation you don't need. He won't do it anyway. But if you do happen to be around Bathurst and Dundas with an orthopaedic problem, stop by and you will not regret it for a second. Personally, I will never be able to repay him for what he has done for me. There is no prize big enough. Consider yourself lucky to have met him. And also his secretaries are amongst the very few in Toronto that actually have brains. You don't often find that. The team is dynamic. They never let me down even when I was at the worst possible pain imaginable. Don't give up if you are reading this. Take one day at a time and do yourself a favour and go see Dr. Lewis. Your life is only beginning. I never thought I would smile again.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2018

I waited over a year for an appointment. The day of, I waited more than 6 hours in the waiting room, only to be moved to an exam room where I waited long enough to watch an entire episode of House of Cards. When he finally came in, he gave me about 5 minutes of his time and then left very briskly. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that, maybe, it had been a long day for him and returned for my next appointment several months later -- he spent most of it dissecting my x-ray for the benefit of the resident and rarely looked/spoke to me at all. Still in pain. No game plan to prevent my scoliosis from worsening. I chatted with one of his other patients in the waiting room -- she seemed to like him very much and said he helped her enormously. No doubt he's a fantastic surgeon, but as a person, he couldn't be more dismissive. The whole thing felt completely dehumanizing.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2018

Dr Lewis performed 2 revision surgeries to correct my flat back and disc deterioration due to Harrington rods. The surgery took 9 hours and I am fused to my sacrum. 3 years post surgery at the age of 47 and I am walking 6 km/ hour, exercising to stay fit and am leading a far better quality of life. I still have scoliosis related pain but much less and I am able to manage it without narcotics as long as I stick to my exercise regime and maintain my weight. Dr Lewis did something no other surgeon wanted to do and in doing so gave me a new lease on life. I highly recommend him as a scoliosis revisionist and wish him and his team continued success. Canada is lucky to have him!

flag | Submitted August 16, 2018

Dr Lewis did my spinal fusion, 71/2 hr surgery. It was painfull for a week or so after the surgery, but was expected. I don't believe that I would go through another surgery at my age but would like to get his prognosis on my back. Fell down the stairs and broke a few ribs, but since the fall my back has been giving me so much trouble. Go for MRI today. Would prefer Dr Lewis over any other surgeon

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018