Ratings for Dr. D Houston

I called Urgent Cancer Care for advise for my mother who had been waiting at 7 Oaks for hours. Around 3am, we were told that there was a 6-8 hour wait. My mother was in discomfort and chose to leave the hospital and go home to her bed and wait until Oncology opens or a call back from a doctor. Dr. Houston promptly called back and advised that she stay at the hospital. I let him know that we had already left the hospital and before I could ask him if there is another hospital or option, he had already hung up on me! I was shocked and not impressed!

flag | Submitted March 1, 2017

Have been a patient for several years and have always found him to be caring, concerned and knowledgeable. I feel like he genuinely cares and is doing his best to not only to treat my illness, but to make me feel informed and part of the process. His nurse Barb is also wonderful - the best nurse I have dealt with in the MB health care system. My only complaint is that he is terrible with his appointment times. I always wait at least an hour and he never apologizes for not arriving on time. A small thing in comparison I know, it's just a shame because otherwise he is awesome.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2013

My husband and I are very impressed with Dr. Houston and we think Barb his nurse is just WONDERFUL. Dr. Houston doesn't rush you; he is very patient and working hard to find what is wrong with me. He is understanding my frustration at being sick and not being able to find a definitive diagnosis. He includes my husband in all the discussions. Although I have only seen him twice so far, each time when I leave he gives me a big hug and reassurance - something you don't get from too many physicians! Barb feels like a "special friend" too!

flag | Submitted March 9, 2011

We dealt with Dr. Houston for over 10 years and I cannot say enough good words about his care. My husband had a complicated disease and he treated him with respect, humour, knowledge and in the end compassion. His nurse, Barb, is the best nurse in Manitoba and was always there for us, going the extra mile to advise and help us. Would recommend that team to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2011

the word 'horrible' does not even begin to describe my experience with this doctor. i waited over an hour to see him (with no one else in the waiting room) only to have him be extremely rude to me. he offered me his unwanted advice on a subject that is not remotely his expertise--apparently he thinks he's an expert in vascular surgery and feel qualified to give out his advice regarding that subject, even though his 'advice' blatantly went against the qualified medical opinions of a team of vascular surgeons looking after me. he also told me to 'stop being lazy', which was incredibly insulting and hurtful since i've fought incredibly hard to learn how to walk again and recover. he seems like he's got some kind of god-complex going on. i had an absolutely disgusting experience with him. from the other reviews of him here, perhaps i caught him on a bad day?-but to be honest after being insulted by him in that way, i have a hard time giving this man the benefit of the doubt.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2008

Best doctor in town very knowledgeable and takes the time to listen like all doctors should!!!

flag | Submitted November 28, 2007

The absolute best. Very knowledgable and considerate. Took the time to listen to the patient and did his best to answer or address any questions or concerns. Made the most difficult time tolerable.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2007

Very professional and knowledgeable doctor. I had number of visits, he was very nice and did try the best to find the root cause of my problem. He did find. He is the one of very few doctors I would recommend to anybody without hesitation.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2007