Ratings for Dr. Melvin Hershfield

Dr. Hershfield told me my situation straight to the point with no BS. He educated me on the harms of over prescribing some medications (such as antibiotics) just because I want to feel like something is being done. He explained the necessity of the procedures we went through, how and why they were being done, and shared the results with me in a way I understood well. I have profound respect for him.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2018

I am a 64 Year old man. I had an appointment and then the receptionist called me to give me an earlier one. I got confused and missed the appointment. When I called and apologized for this, the receptionist said I would have to go back to my GP and get another referral in order to get another date. I said: "oh are you going to snob me?" Guess what? When my GP's assistant called, they told her they would not take me! Is this the behaviour we expect from doctors? Well, I would think the doctor never even found out! From the reviews here, I am glad I am going to another specialist, hopefully the receptionist there will be more happy with her job!

flag | Submitted November 19, 2017

Dr. Hershfield is an excellent urologist. Very thorough, patient and explains procedures/tests fully.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2016

Had to wait over an hour to be seen for a scheduled appointment. Found receptionist a little rude. Dr. Hershfield was very knowledgeable and helpful

flag | Submitted March 1, 2016

This doctor knows everything about humans and has all the answers, he rocks, he is the best

flag | Submitted December 29, 2015

Dr. H needs to hang up the coat and retire. He has a mindset of things he learned 50 years ago and is not open to any new ideas and methods. He thinks you are nuts when you tell him things you are experiencing and that it couldn't be possible and the internet is the biggest waste of time where people diagnose themselves with problems they don't have. His solution for kidney stones is to drink lots of water and jump around lots. WTF? OASN, his receptionist has no sense of humour, vapid of any soul, and just seems to "be there". If you have been recommended to see him, ask your GP to find another. Trust me.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2015

I read all of these reviews about Dr,Hershfield and actually im quit disappointed, I seen the Dr,this morning and I'm glad I did ,he was very professional and very informative,,i would 100% refer him to anyone else I know with any prostate problems,2 Thumbs up Doc!!

flag | Submitted January 12, 2015

Dr. Hershfield was extremely dismissive of my concern and problem which I was originally referred to him for. Handed me a piece of paper that indicated no further appointments required, then sent me on my way, however the problem still exists. I spent 45 mins. after the procedure in horrible pain and discomfort with no support from staff to get me up and on my way home. Dr. Hershfield does display patience especially during the office consultation however

flag | Submitted February 26, 2014

He's an old-aged man who has experience in some areas but lack HUGELY in others. Because of him, I ended up suffering worse than if I were to have gone to a proper Urologist for the right diagnoses and treatment. He doesn't really care about you nor does he think "anything" is ever serious enough to warrant ANY type of treatment. I've gone to several Urologists and so I know the areas of expertise he excels in, and other areas where he has failed to hit the mark. Be very cautious when going to see him because more often than not, he's of very little help. I almost considered it a 100% waste of my time to see him, and it was in some ways, a negative impact to my health and condition. The receptionist is also very "gloomy" and I did not feel like she a very good customer service. If you have a problem, go see another urologist. This one doesn't consider anything serious unless you're dieing of cancer or have a SERIOUS problem that needs tending to.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2014

I was given a Cystoscopy by Dr Hershfield and found the procedure to be only mildly uncomfortable. Dr Hershfield carefully described the procedure as we went along and answered all my questions with a great deal of patience and clarity. I had a very small amount of discomfort immediately following the procedure and nothing beyond. I was given a catheter at the hospital two weeks prior and both the initial procedure and the discomfort afterwords were far more sever. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr Hershfield.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2012