Ratings for Dr. Joel Doctor

Brought my 3 sons to Dr Joel Doctor, and was very disappointed with his overall level of knowledge and discernment. His testing procedure is quite rudimentary and ineffective, as it tests only a few antigens and the skin break was inconsistent. He was unable to effectively diagnose an IgA anaphylactic allergy in a known lifelong case in my oldest son (has seen 2 other allergists in Calgary, both confirmed the severity of the response) or an IgG response (my middle son, also confirmed). When questioned, He seemed to have no knowledge of what an IgG allergy is and seemed to be much more interested in ending the appointment than providing any concrete knowledge or treatment. Furthermore, for the one severe allergy that he did confirm in my oldest son (egg) he does not offer any solutions for treatment of allergies such as exposure thereapy. Overall - I would say please avoid this “Doctor”

flag | Submitted February 19, 2018

Dr Doctor and all the staff and nurses were great, very friendly and attentive. Everyone, including Dr Doctor, spent the time to explain everything in great detail and were thorough with their testing. Great experience, thanks all!

flag | Submitted February 8, 2018

I am absolutely stunned by some of the negative comments I read on this page. In contrast, I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Joel Doctor. I have suffered most of my adult life (from about mid- 40's) from a seemingly very rare and in my case undiagnosed illness. My family doctors had never seen a case like this. In 2011 I ended up in emergency with severe facial swelling (at age 72). They treated it as anaphylactic shock and injected several doses of epinephrine but to no avail. After 12 hours in emergency they transferred me to internal medicine for observation for another 24 hours. II survived the episode and they referred me to Dr. Joel Doctor for follow-up. It was he who finally diagnosed the real cause of my illness as Type 1 HAE (C1-esterase deficiency). He has been my doctor and confidant ever since. I find him to be the most caring and thoughtful specialist I have ever met. Recently I had another episode. He suggested I go to FMC emergency, but while there he was willing to consult with the attending physician and called me back to follow up after I left emergency. He is not only knowledgeable in his field, but also a warm, caring individual. I feel very privileged to have him as my doctor., and I have absolute confidence in him.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2018

This Dr told me I didn't have allergies (or that it was all in my head) after I was hospitalized for anaphylaxis. Tests for basic things and decides from there. Said it probably wouldn't kill me. GREAT. DONT GO HERE. Waited a year, saw him for 15 mins and it was useless

flag | Submitted January 12, 2018

Within days of an emergency visit, we had an appointment for a consult. He diagnosed a very rare condition and is now very effectively treating my daughter. Her symptoms have reduced to the point where she only two mild occurrences in three months versus severe occurrences once or twice a week. As a clinician is very knowledgeable and patient-focused. I would highly recommend his practice of allergy/immunology medical assessment and treatment. He noticed during an appointment with my daughter that I had obstructed breathing. I attended a separate appointment and he diagnosed nasal polyps. He prescribed a treatment which was successful. Dr. Doctor is also now treating my chronic allergenic rhinitis. I have had issues for years with nasal obstruction. It is fantastic to breath more clearly. I am appreciative of his expertise and medical treatment. Overall, clinic is also very professional and helpful. So I have no hesitation in recommending this practice. Both my daughter and I have experienced a better quality of life from by from his medical expertise.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2018

Not an allergist. Look up his credentials. Rude and arrogant. Very unhappy man.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

Absolute waste of time. 15 minute allergy test, left his patient in the room for over 20 minutes. Severe allergy. Then the clown prescribed cortisone spray versus other approved remedies. Extremely poor experience.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2017

In and out in less than 30 minutes for allergy testing. Great service.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2017

If I could give him zero I would he said that the reason my son has food allergies is because of me

flag | Submitted November 10, 2017

Joel told my daughter and I that we weren't allergic to things that were are both anaphylactic to. I wasn't convinced so immediately made another apt with Dr. Cross, who came in with their own oils that they made, and we both swelled up immediately and confirmed my theory. Dr. Joel is not an allergist I would ever recommend to anyone with life threatening allergies, Don't waste your time, and don't risk your life with this guy.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017