Ratings for Dr. John T. Carpenter

My mother was diagnosed over 2.5 years ago with Stage 2 breast cancer. Despite our protests, Dr. Carpenter treated her only with a hormone therapy/pill. When a new lump appeared one year into his treatment of her, without a scan or anything, he diagnosed it as only a cyst. During this 2.5 years, she never was given a single scan (MRI, ultrasound, x-ray, or Petscan) or diagnostic test. She now has stage 3B breast cancer and an additional primary lung cancer. She will die within 12 months.. and what horrors could have been avoided save his arrogance? He put his research above the best interest of his patient, and her blood is on his hands.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2014

Dr Carpenter can appear to be your average quick, back handed attitude kind of guy. He's not! He may be behind in his appointments but it's because he's spent time answering someone's question or attending to their needs. He can appear high handed about his methods and opinions because he had a passion for his work. He stays on top of the latest studies and treatments. If you have a question, he will pull up a stool, and this explains the long waits. Well the wait is worth it. He is decisive. Who wants a chemo Dr. wavering between this and that. He can be, he knows his stuff. On our first consultation, he looked me in the eye and said 9 chemo treatments and I will not postpone or quit with them, unless you are dying. Then he patted my arm and said that's what I'm going to keep from happening. Tough words, but he's been true to his promise.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2010

Dr. Carpenter has been my oncologist since my BC stage 1 diagnosis in 2001. He is dedicated to evidence-based medicine and I've been enormously pleased with his treatment AND with his "bedside manner." He once responded quickly and in detail to my email regarding a gynecological problem and even arranged an appointment for me to see another UAB doctor. I feel very fortunate to have him as my oncologist.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2010

My wife has recurring Breast Cancer. Doctor Carpenter has been a god-send to us. He has NEVER been anything other than professional, kind, patient, and caring. My wife and I have the utmost respect and confidence in Dr. "C". He is very up to date on all the newest procedures and treatment. He can't save everyone but he sure tries.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2010

Condescending, and not open minded to the needs of his patients. It's his way, or no way

flag | Submitted May 19, 2010

arrogant, condesending. Upset we sought a second opion. I will never return to him.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2010

Every time I see him I wait at least 2 1/2 hrs each time. He's very knowledgeable but doesn't have a great bedside manner, not much comfort or validation is found with him.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2009

I cannot believe anyone would call John Carpenter arrogant & condescending. He is the most caring & considerate Doctor you could have. They must have been numbed by the "C" word and looking for someone to blame. I am a 10 year survivor next month. I come from a science/semi-medical background. When diagnosed, I did much research and had many questions. I consulted the ACS and the Am Cancer Institute. Both recommended a "comprehensive cancer center", so rated by the Nat Health Inst. UAB/Kirklin is a fantastic place. People come from all over for treatment here. I was very lucky to have Dr. Carpenter for my chemo & he is the 1 on the team following up 10 years later. He has knowledge of the latest advances - he put me on an arimtase inhibitor as soon as clinical trials showed the advantage for hormone positive tumors. He worked diligently to help me find relief from the hot flashes that come with hormone inhibitors. He wants you to be healthy, happy & healed. Love Dr C!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2009

Dr. Carpenter is wonderful. I was diagnosed at the age of 35 with stage 3 breast cancer, and was told by a friend that her former doctor had said he was one of the best in the country for breast cancer. You will wait when you go for a check up, so be prepared, but he will stay with you for as long as necessary. He is never in a hurry & he will go through your whole file giving you his undivided attention. WORTH THE WAIT I honestly do not think I would be cancer free now if it weren't for him and others at the Kirklin Clinic. I drive 4 hours to see him and will continue to do so. Everything he suggests has been proven in a study & he will explain everything. If you have breast cancer, you need the best oncologist & HE IS THE BEST. It took me a couple of visits to understand his personality as he is very smart & doesn't talk like your average Joe, but he is very caring & is concerned with your quality of life. LOVE HIM!

flag | Submitted July 24, 2009

I love Dr. Carpenter. He has been my dr. since 2001 when diagnosed with breast cancer at age 37. I don't believe i would have physically nor emotionally handled cancer and chemo as well as I did without Dr. Carpenter. I always look forward to an annual visits for his words of encouragement. I like that he listens to me during visits. He's the greatest.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2009

Dr. John T. Carpenter's Credentials

• Tulane University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1968)