Dr. Amit Sharma

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Amit Sharma

I have seen Dr. Sharma twice in the last 3 years for my sciatica. The man has magical hands. Both times I was debilitated and missed work for days before finally getting a shot. Both times, it worked like magic. I have sent him my mother, two neighbors and my boss, and not one was disappointed. I hope he is stays in this practice.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2017

They should make their slogan: "more truth, less nonsense". Honest group of physicians. I was sent from my primary to Dr. Palumbo. He didn't accept my insurance. I ended up seeing a greek doctor at their center. He was honest and told me spine surgery was an option, but came with risks. When he started counting them, my head started spinning. He told me to see Sharma. I saw him around 2 months ago. He gave me two exercises (the double shin and neck stretch) and advised me to stay away from doctors for a while. My pain was gone in about 3 weeks. My friend went to a different office. Same story as mine, but ended up with a scar on his neck and no relief in pain. I can't thank these guys enough for their honesty.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2015

I can't agree with others here. My experience was very pleasing. I was referred to Dr. Mullins by my primary. He saw me and suggested that I should see Dr. Sharma in his practice. I came out to the reception. I was told that the earliest appoinmment with him was in 2 weeks. I was very unhappy. I waited for 2 weeks to see Dr. Mullins. I am sure they felt it in my voice. The girl at reception said, "let me see what I can do". 2 minutes later their office manager came out, apologized and they put me back in the same room where I was examined earlier. Dr. Mullins came back to the room, apologized and said, let me get Dr. Sharma. 10 min later, I was evaluated by him. He is just as pleasant. I had my injection the next morning. It has been 4 weeks. 2 injections so far and I am a lot better. I cannot believe how courteous they all were and how seriously they took my pain. I cannot comment on others, but I ca not believe that in this day and age, there are practices of doctors who work together so well and still take care of patients sincerely. Thank you. SNJ

flag | Submitted October 19, 2014

I learnt more about my condition in 20 min of seeing this doctor than I have known in 20 years of suffering through it. I am hoping treatment would be as effective too

flag | Submitted August 21, 2014

I am amazed there are not so many reviews. He is very well respected in community. My chiropractor made him sound like a superhero. I had a great experience with him. I had 2 treatments so far and after 4 months of suffering, my leg pain has gone away. I still have some back issues and my chiro is working on it. I am so much touched by the service and improvement from the therapy. Awesome practice and a very good doctor.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2014

This is an amazing place to visit. The staff is wonderful. I have seen dr. Mullins, who is an angel by any yardstick. H referred me to Dr. S and he has been courteous and very informative about my pain. I have improved a lot in last 2 months and they both didn't take any credits. Honest and wonderful doctors.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2012

I doubt any pain physician can match his compassion. He is an amazing person first, and a very caring physician. My wife is also a patient and speaks volume.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2011

Dr. Amit Sharma's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Amit Sharma is a board certified physician who specializes in the interventional pain management. Dr. Sharma is Director of the Pain Program at Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center. He also serves as the Chairman of the Division of Pain Medicine for the Department of Anesthesiology. Dr. Sharma has consistently received the “Patients Choice Awards” and “Compassionate Doctor Award” over the last few years. He is a lifetime member of American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians and a member of numerous national and international pain societies. Dr. Sharma obtained his medical education at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, considered the Harvard of Asian Subcontinent. He completed his residency in anesthesiology at The College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University in New York City. He then obtained fellowship training in interventional pain medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Dr. Sharma was an Assistant Professor at Columbia University prior to going in private practice. Dr. Sharma has performed over 10,000 interventional procedures over the past few years. He specializes in the management of back and neck problems, and neuropathic and cancer pain. He also has special interest in ischemic pain and peripheral vascular disease related issues. He has an expertise in neuromodulation (spinal cord stimulation), intrathecal drug delivery systems, minimally invasive spine procedures (Kyphoplasty, Intradiscal Electrothermy, Nucleoplasty, MILD) and radiofrequency ablative procedures. Along with the other physicians at Long Island Neurosurgical and Pain Specialists, he is a strong proponent of non-operative interventions such as physical therapy and acupuncture. Dr. Sharma is well published in peer-reviewed journals and has authored numerous textbook chapters. He has been invited as a guest speaker at several national pain meetings. He has also done research in the field of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS or RSD). His team at Johns Hopkins was provided a financial grant to conduct the largest study on CRPS patients which was published in a renowned journal. Having served as a teaching faculty, training residents and fellow doctors, Dr. Sharma carries the passion of education with him. He believes in educating patients and spends time explaining every aspect of their treatment plan with them. Publications (In Peer Review Literature) Sharma A, Agarwal S, Broatch JW, Raja SN. A Web Based Epidemiological Survey of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2009 Mar-Apr;34(2):110-5. Sharma A, Williams K, Raja SN. Advances in treatment of complex regional pain syndrome: recent insights on a perplexing disease. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2006 Oct;19(5):566-572. Sharma A, Pagel PS, Bhatia A. Intraoperative iatrogenic acute pericardial tamponade: use of rescue transesophageal echocardiography in a patient undergoing orthotopic liver transplantation. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2005 Jun;19(3):364-6. Jooste EH, Sharma A, Zhang Y, Emala CW. Rapacuronium Augments Acetylcholine-induced Bronchoconstriction via Positive Allosteric Interactions at the M3 Muscarinic Receptor. Anesthesiology. 2005 Dec;103(6):1195-1203. Christo PJ, Hobelman JG, Sharma A. Aging and the Neurobiology of Addiction. J Geriatrics & Aging, 2005 Nov/Dec;8(10):48-52. Editorial Experience Section Editor (Acute and Chronic Pain): Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. Referee, Cochrane Pain, Palliative & Supportive Care (PaPaS) Review Group (2007 – Present). Textbook Chapters Sharma A, Raja SN. Assessment and Management of Chronic Pain and Palliative Care. In: Geriatric Anesthesia, Fredirick E. Sieber (Ed.). The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 2007. PP 319-336. Sharma A. The basal infusion mode in patient controlled analgesia is both friend and foe, In: Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. PP 725-30. Sharma A. Rule out facet arthropathy before initiating expensive and invasive maneuvers for back and spine pain, In: Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. PP 741-47. Sharma A. Do not guess at the equivalent dose when determining an opioid conversion, In: Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. PP 712-19. Sharma A. Management of perioperative pain in opioid dependent patient – Out of the frying pan, into the fire, In: Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. PP 732-35. Sharma A., Kathuria SS. Anesthesia for eye surgery – The innate culture of “1-N-1″, In: Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. PP 339-343. Sharma A. Consider the paramedian approach for the thoracic epidural placement, especially at the mid-thoracic level, In: Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. PP 441-46. Sharma A. Consider discussing use of ketorolac (toradol) in perioperative setting with your surgical team before the need arises, In: Marcucci: Avoiding Common Anesthesia Errors, Catherine Marcucci, Norman A. Cohen, David G. Metro, Jeffery R. Kirsch (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. PP 720-24. Sharma A., Campbell JN, Raja SN. Sympathetic Blocks for Pain, In: The Senses: A Comprehensive Reference, Volume 5, Allan I. Basbaum, Peter Dallos, Gary K. Beauchamp, Jon H. Kaas, M. Catherine Bushnell (Eds), Elsevier Company, 2007. Sharma A., Raja SN. Chronic Pain and the Sympathetic Nervous System: Mechanisms and potential implications for pain therapies, In: Translational Pain Research. Volume 2: Comparing Preclinical Studies and Clinical Pain Management. Lost in Translation?, Jianren Mao (Ed), Nova Science Publishers, Inc., 2006. PP 169-188. Book Review(s) Sharma A., Raja SN. CRPS: Current Diagnosis and Therapy. Wilson PR, Stanton-Hicks M, Harden RN (Eds) Progress in Pain Management Research, Vol 32. IASP Press, 2005; Book Review. Clin J Pain. 2006 Feb;22(2):225. Electronic Publications Sharma A., Raja SN. Use and abuse of opioids: The eternal debate. Original Article. MD Consult: Pain Medicine, Perspectives on contemporary topics. Retrieved on Feb 7, 2005 from http://www.mdconsult.com. Sharma A., Raja SN. Sex differences in clinical pain: The need for further research. Editorial. MD Consult: Pain Medicine, Perspectives on contemporary topics. Retrieved on Jan 5, 2005 from http://www.mdconsult.com. Dr.Sharma-JACKET “For anyone who thinks they are ‘done’ seeing doctors for their pain, I encourage you to see Dr. Sharma. From the minute Dr. Sharma finished the spinal pacemaker procedure, I knew it would be a success. After suffering in pain for four years, I feel almost back to normal.” “After being seen by six doctors including a family doctor, a spine surgeon and two other pain doctors, I was referred to Dr. Sharma at Long Island Neurosurgical and Pain Specialists. He was very patient and spent the necessary time required to evaluate my condition and the cause of my pain properly. I had two test injections, and knew after the second that Dr. Sharma would make me pain free. Thanks to his expertise, I was able to enjoy the dance during my daughter’s wedding reception.” Sharma_TopDoctor

• Johns Hopkins University (Grad. 2005)
  • Columbia University New York (Grad. 2004)

• Back pain