Ratings for Dr. Todd M. Kliewer

I have the utmost respect for Dr Kliewer and his staff and would recommend him to anyone needing an Oncologist. He is honest and does not play games, which is rare in this day and time. He has kept my father alive to this point and when other Dr's were unwilling or unable to explain what was going on, he took the time to explain it to me. After seeing my father thru Leukemia and his most recent hospital stay, he is one of few Dr's I trust with my father. Bless you, Dr. Kliewer.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2014

from the horrid experience of losing my loved one to cancer with this dr in charge. dont let his friendly, we can do this attitude fool you..yes when things are going good hes your best friend but if things go bad you will not only never see him again but he even avoids the family & NO he does not keep in touch with hospice!! Amazes me how he has time to get on here to dispute what patients & family write but has no time to talk to patients or family on the phone!!!

flag | Submitted May 9, 2014

Dr. Todd M. Kliewer's response
This is a second posting. For reasons that have not been provided to me and not per my own request, my initial rebuttal was removed in 2014 when this site updated. To begin, due to HIPAA law and the severity of cancer, it is never appropriate to discuss such issues over the phone. With any Oncologist, patients and family members should make personal appointments when there are difficult situations to discuss. When a patient decides to pursue hospice, it is an individual decision regarding which hospice they choose. We provide the names of several hospices that we have found do a better job providing physician communication and updates. If someone chooses another hospice which does not communicate, I cannot remedy that situation. Unfortunately, physician appointments often are not covered by Medicare/Medicaid once patients enroll with hospice; therefore, they must be privately paid. I also cannot remedy if someone refuses to pay for a physician visit. It amazes me that people would not follow with a physician because they refuse to pay for for his or her services. It amazes me that someone would desire a website where people can not respond to unverified slander.

Submitted October 14, 2014

Dr. Kliewer's office ignored previous problems that happened a year and a half ago to my wife had when she had a reaction to an iron infusion using "venefor". His office was going to repeat the process with the same medicine without regard to my wife's safety. When I confronted the office with this, the nurse would not let me talk to the doctor and insisted the only way to talk to him was to schedule another appointment, and pay for an office visit for his time, while all of what had happened previously was in her record in his office. I understood that the Dr. directed his nurse to have me schedule an appointment rather than talk on the phone. My impression is that this Dr. does not really care for his patients... Just the money.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2013

Dr. Todd M. Kliewer's response
This is a second posting. For reasons that have not been provided to me and not per my request, my initial rebuttal was removed in 2014 when this site updated despite the fact that these remarks remained. To begin, the patient had a questionable historical reaction to a medication that occurred with a previous physician. When the family member contacted the office with the concern regarding an attempt at repeat exposure, he was rude to my staff. When I requested a personal appointment to discuss the concern, he refused stating that we simply wanted more money. When I outright refused to provide the medication in light of these concerns, he then stated that he wanted to proceed. That seemed extremely odd understanding the previous anger, rude behavior, and reticence. Gives me the impression that this individual is concerned more about money than patient safety.

Submitted October 14, 2014

Unforgiveable behavior. That about sums up how this doctor acted towards my sister when she dared to call him at 5:10 PM to get information on our mother's condition (initial diagnosis that same day). My sister called Kleiwer’s office and got the answering service around 5:00 PM, 8 May 2012. The answering service asked her if it was an emergency and she said no….she just wanted to talk to the doctor because we had just learned about our mother’s cancer diagnosis. When Kleiwer returned the call 10 minutes later, instead of compassion or empathy, she was berated and warned to never call him after hours again. Nice. Real nice. Our family fired him from my mother’s case the next morning. Thanks for making an excruciatingly emotional situation even more painful, doc. I’m sure our family will never forget your lack of compassion on the day we found out our mother had less than a year to live.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2012

Dr. Todd M. Kliewer's response
This is a second posting. For reasons that have not been provided to me, my rebuttal was removed when the site updated in 2014; however, the unverified patient remarks remained. Having researched the schedule on the dates surrounding 5/8/2012, I cannot find a patient situation that is consistent with this described situation. However, at initial evaluation, Optim Oncology clinic provides to all patients information that clearly explains that after hours calls should strictly be used for emergency purposes. During the interview, we allow patients and families to record information to pass along to other family members if they so desire so that information can be disseminated in a HIPAA compliant manner. If others desire to personally hear information, we recommend that a clinic time during office hours be established in order to adequately discuss the situation. Due to HIPAA laws and the severity of cancer, phone calls are never appropriate in which to discuss such matters. Importantly, this note states that this non-emergent call was returned within 10 minutes.

Submitted October 14, 2014

Its almost impossible to get anyone from Dr. Kliewers office to call us back. We have to go through all these prompts. My husband is a patient there and I cant even get them to call me back to schedule an appointment. Its been days now and I have called 4 times with no reply and having never been able to speak to a real person. You are not allowed to simply call the front desk. They have to call you back after you leave a message or two, or three, just to make a simple appointment. The chances of actually getting to speak to Dr. Kliewer is vert low in my opinion. We have never been able to do so.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2011

Dr. Todd M. Kliewer's response
This is a second posting. For reasons not provided to me and not per my own request, my remarks were removed when this site updated in 2014. Unfortunately, due to continued declines in reimbursement, all physician offices are decreasing staffing. With the advent of "Affordable Care", reimbursement to individual private physician practices is so bad that physicians throughout the country are selling their practices to large hospital corporations. Therefore, private practice physicians not employed by hospitals are struggling to stay in business. I apologize for any communication problems, and, it is always helpful to bring that up during any appointment. At the time that all patients leave our clinic, our staff attempts to make a scheduled return appointment at that time in order to prevent just this situation.

Submitted October 14, 2014

He has a great bed side manner and acts like he is so concerned....but get a second opinion before you put your life in his hands...i know first hand!!!

flag | Submitted January 4, 2011

Dr. Todd M. Kliewer's response
I appreciate when individuals can state unverified statements in an anonymous manner.

Submitted October 14, 2014

I thought he was friendly and seemed concerned, but when my cancer became terminal he just backed off was like he no longer cared i was nothing to him from that point. he would not even talk to me or my family but put that off onto his nurse!!!!

flag | Submitted November 20, 2010

Dr. Todd M. Kliewer's response
I appreciate when individuals can make unverified statements in an anonymous manner.

Submitted October 14, 2014

Dr. Kliever is not only knowledgable and caring, but he will take the time to explain things so the patient also understands. I came to him as a Stage IV cancer patient and have been in full remission for almost two years so far. His staff are so awesome, I almost look forward to my continued treatments and follow-up apointments. The only reason I say almost is I hate needles,and being a cancer patient, needles are necessary. I would recommend him without reservations to anybody.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2009

Dr. Todd M. Kliewer's Credentials

• University Of Oklahoma College Of Medicine (Grad. 1994)