Dr. Gregory D. Parkhurst

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Gregory D. Parkhurst

Could not be happier! Best experience, life changin!! Professional and friendly, stellar results!

flag | Submitted September 19, 2018

Absolutely best medical experience ever. From the first vist to the last, from the first person I came into contact with all the way up to Dr. Parkhurst, nothing but respect and kindness was shown.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2018

My experience was nothing short of Ah-mazing!!!! Both my husband and I felt well-informed, well-equipped and encouraged throughout the entire experience. I know everyone has their “bad days” but that wasn’t the case with Dr. Parkhurst staff. They are so warm and welcoming with every interaction. Love them and would do it again but thank God I don’t have to!!! One and done!!

flag | Submitted September 15, 2018

From the first conversation to my last appointment, it was seamless. The staff is extremely customer service oriented which a great reflection of the doctors who work there. My thanks to Dr. Parkhurst and ALL his staff for making me see the world once again. The best word to describe my experience is "amazing".

flag | Submitted September 13, 2018

The experience has been really good. I would highly recommend Dr. Parkhurst.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2018

From the consultation appointment to the actual lasik surgery and post surgery, Dr. Parkhurst and his team go above and beyond to provide comfort to the patient! Would highly recommend for lasik procedure in San Antonio!

flag | Submitted August 29, 2018

Having a LASIK procedure done is easier than shaving.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2018

Dr. Parkhurst and his staff have been wonderful to work with. They went above and beyond to make my LASIK experience great and easy. They answered all my questions and were easily accessible at all times. I would recommend him to anyone in the San Antonio area interested in vision correction surgery.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2018

I was scared to have lasik done, simply because I assumed there would be a lot of pain. The process took less than 10 minutes and there was no pain whatsoever.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2018

I had the most exciting and unbelievable experience of my life with respect to the genuine care I received by Dr, Pankhurst and his entire staff. The eye implant surgery went very well and I didn't feel any pain, discomfort, or side-effect. After the eye implant I was able to see a totally different world. I was able to see colors and everything around me in high definition and I could not believe what I was seeing. In other words, It was a miracle. I want to thank Dr, Parkhurst and his entire staff for making the eye implant surgery a wonderful and exciting experience and making me see the world as it truly is.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2018

Dr. Gregory D. Parkhurst's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Parkhurst has known since childhood that he wanted to help people with their eyesight. As a young kid growing up in rural Michigan, he, like many others, had to wear glasses. As an avid soccer and baseball player, his glasses were constantly falling off his face or becoming scratched and damaged on the ball field. After many years dealing with glasses & contacts, as well as several trips to have his eyes examined, Dr. Parkhurst began to look at his eye doctor in a different way. Not only did the young Dr. Parkhurst see the value in the services his doctor provided, but he admired the way his doctor was actively involved in the community. Eye care began to take on an important meaning: from patient to life purpose. “My doctor was really active in the community and was a real outstanding guy. I looked up to his stature in the town, how his practice sponsored community athletic teams, and really saw the importance of what he was providing me and my family.” Later while going to college and working as an eye technician for a local Ophthalmologist, Dr. Parkhurst had the unique opportunity to go on a cataract medical mission to southern Mexico. In many poor communities, people do not have access to quality eye surgery, which is so necessary in that part of the world. Many of these people were “hand-on-the-shoulder blind” from hyper-mature cataracts and would wait in line for days in order to have access to the team’s donated surgical services. The surgical team decided only to operate on one eye of each patient, even though most patients were functionally blind in both eyes. You really only need one seeing eye to function, and this way, twice as many people could be helped. One of the most memorable experiences of Dr. Parkhurst’s life was on the one-day postop when patients, many of whom had not seen for 20 or 30 years, came in with their families for their scheduled check-up. Dr. Parkhurst witnessed the joy of these grandparents when the bandages came off, and they quite literally saw their grandchildren’s faces for the very first time. The experience left him speechless and locked him into this profession for good. “Vision is such a precious thing that we can easily take for granted. I never tire of that moment when a patient sees again.” Dr. Parkhurst constantly strives to be the best in his field, particularly in San Antonio where he and his family have made a permanent home. Working with his hands and being able to have a significant impact on someone’s quality of life is a true passion. This passion to do the best work possible was recognized when he became one of the busiest LASIK surgeons in the nation while he served in the military, and also when he was presented the Global Young ICL Surgeon-of-the-Year award in 2013. As a busy surgeon and now international lecturer, he continues to be one of the leading Refractive surgeons in the country. Dr. Parkhurst’s commitment to his patients and his profession is never ending. He continues to explore and find the best possible treatments for his patients. Dr. Parkhurst has been honored by being one of a handful of talented surgeons nationally invited to take part in several FDA Clinical trials, as well as developing procedures and techniques of his own. In 2014, Dr. Parkhurst testified before an advisory panel for the FDA, which resulted in the recommendation for approval of a new procedure in the United States. “Forty or 50 years ago, cataract surgery meant a two week stay in the hospital, now I can give a person the ability to see again, many times in as little as a few minutes. I love my job, and I love doing procedures to help people with their vision.”

• English
  • Spanish

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 2003)
  • Hillsdale College (Grad. 2009)

• Cataract surgery
  • LASIK eye surgery

• "Top Ophthalmologist" in San Antonio according to The Leading Physicians of the World Publication
  • Listed on the "Top 40 under 40" Most Influential Ophthalmologists in the world by The Ophthalmologist, an authority on the eye care industry out of Europe
  • Current President of the Refractive Surgery Alliance, an international society of Refractive Surgeons with over 150 eye surgeon members
  • Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
  • American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award 2015
  • Parkhurst NuVision became the first designated LensAR laser cataract center of excellence in the United States in 2015 and still stands as the only center with that designation in the South Region
  • Published text book chapters on Laser Cataract Surgery and Visian ICL, available in multiple languages worldwide
  • Fellow of the American College of Surgeons