Ratings for Dr. Gregory D. Parkhurst

I am a 38 year old women , should have done lasik surgery sooner. I am so happy with my results. It is the little things I am excited about, like being anle to wear my sunglasses now, not having red or irritated eyes!! My hisband had this procedure done about 20years ago and he has always told me it was the greatest thing ever!! He was RIGHT, i should’ve listened sooner! Everyone in the office was so sweet and attentive!

flag | Submitted November 14, 2019

I will absolutely be recommending Dr. Parkhurst at Parkhurst NuVision to all my family members and friends. I am so happy with results and can now see the leaves on the trees with so much crisp clarity that I can believe it. This is an answered prayer and a beautiful thing! So much so, that my brain had to take a few days just to adjust to the brilliant, vivid colors of everything I could see. Dr. Parkhurst was my "second opinion" doctor and I am so glad I made the choice to have my cataracts done with him. I had complete faith in him and so will you. My previous doctor told me I had cataracts and then jokingly said "see you in year." Well guess what? I was told my cataracts have to be ripe for removal. Well guess what? I did not have to wait a year turning my life upside down and becoming debilitated in the process. I went online and found Parkhurst NuVision and went in for a consultation. Today, I am very happy to say am blessed with prayers answers simply because I chose Dr. Parkhurst and his very pleasant professional to take good care of me and my eyes. Sue W.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2019

I’m doing great. I have no complaints. My surgery met every expectation I had. I can drive at night now without the glare. I hated to drive at night before my cataract surgery. I have computer monitors at work and home and I had just given up on trying to adjust to the colors on them to get white to look white. Now when I look at a white page, it’s pure white. Stuff I did in the home, like some tile I had put a few years ago with a shag rug that I bought… I thought to myself, “My god, they look great!” I thought the rug was originally kind of an olive gray, but it’s like a silver gray. It’s beautiful! I went up to a Wimberly Art Show Sunday and all of the colors were just amazing on the artwork. The colors were more vibrant and more saturated. I didn’t realize what I was missing out on cause I guess it sneaks up on you so slowly over such a long period of time, you don’t realize that you’re not really seeing what’s there. Or at least you’re seeing it through kind of a yellow fog. Even my close up vision is awesome, I don’t even think I need reading glasses! I have no problem reading or using my cell phone. Or even using my monitors and I sit in front of a computer for at least 8 hours a day. I’m happy.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2019

I didn't realize how bad my color vision was until I had cataract surgery. I'm a photographer and use photoshop a lot. After having my first eye, I was able to see the before and after side by side. I couldn't believe how yellow I was seeing before. Now colors are so beautiful. I'm very interested to see how this will affect my art. Thank you Dr. Parkhurst and all the wonderful staff at Nuvision. They made me feel so comfortable throughout the whole experience. I can't wait to have my other eye next week!

flag | Submitted April 10, 2019

Hello i am a 34 year old Hispanic male i work in surgery for a living as an assistant for robotic gynecological surgery. I recently had lasic eye surgery at Parkhurst NuVison a month ago today let me tell you it was the best choice ever this place and the Dr and the results are incredible and mind blowing i have always struggled with either contacts or glasses. I also exercise and run daily but couldn’t really enjoy the outdoors as much as i want without my contacts drying or falling out and well my glasses just getting in the way, but once i got the surgery done huge night and day difference just being able to see clearly every day with out struggle is enough for me . HIGHLY RECOMMEND Dr Parkhurst his and everyone whose part of Parkhurst NuVision

flag | Submitted April 5, 2019

Let me introduce myself. I am a Hispanic 70 year old male. I have worn glasses for over 10 years, for distance and reading. The procedure I had was the Multifocal IOLs. The procedure started at 11:45 am. The procedure itself lasted no more than 15 mins and with absolutely "NO PAIN...No pain. I then went home and took a 3 hour nap. After waking up, I immediately noticed a difference in vision. It had improved. I kept doing little tests to see how well I could see, and with every test, I was amazed. The big test, I started to watch TV, the national news, not only could I see the the TV clearly, I could also read the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen. Without glasses. WOW! I kept on with more tests, with great improvement. I went the next day for Post Op appointment, after the nurse examined my eyes, my eyes were rated at 20/15. Just amazing. More tests. I read the newspaper. I threaded a fish hook. I did work on my laptop, all with no problems and most importantly, no glasses. That night I drove with confidence, the halos were there, as the DR stated they would be, but they did not affect my driving. Again, WOW! The best part, my eyesight is to keep improving for the next 30 days, I don't see how, but I will welcome it. Tomorrow I am to have my first week appointment. So we'll see(No pun intended). If there is a negative side, it would have to be I now can see the bags under my eyes. Ugh. But I understand Dr. Parkhurst will be introducing his MedSpa. My next visit. This procedure is beyond amazing, and has by far exceeded my expectations. Thank you Dr. Parkhurst and staff.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2019

I had laser cataract surgery. I had my right eye done and was amazed to find out I DO have blue eyes! My cataract had colored my vision so that I thought my blue eyes were actually green. Before I had my left eye done i’d close my right eye and see life as I had been seeing it for the past few years and then close my left eye and see the real world! My couch is white again! I thought it was this dirty looking yellowish color!! I now realize that people with cateracts shouldn’t pick out paint colors! My granddaughter’s bedroom is much pinker than I picked out....at least with my old eyes. My vision is excellent but it’s the colors that I find amazing. If there’s any down side to my surgery it would be that I need to wear sunglasses again. My sight has been so dimmed that bright lights didn’t bother me at all. Of course, the other side of that is that means I couldn’t see to drive at night. I’m now driving at night again and not worrying about getting home before dusk. The entire experience was an absolute blessing. The office is clean and beautiful. The staff is so friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. I was often asked if I had any questions or concerns and they were always answered fully. Dr Parkhurst is obviously a good surgeon but more than that he’s a wise man who has realized he can’t do it all so he’s surrounded himself with very capable, competent people. The surgery staff was amazing. Comforting and compassionate. I can’t leave the anesthesiologist out. He was a very nice man and did his job very well.....I had no discomfort whatsoever. Recovery was uneventful. No pain. No itching. Nothing negative.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2019

I wore "cheaters." I'd have a pair on my desk, my nightstand, my car, basically everywhere. At work, inevitably I'd go to a meeting and forget to bring a pair. So, I'd take notes and act like I could see what I was writing. I'd get back to my office and couldn't understand a thing I wrote. I'd ask people if they knew what I wrote and give me a look along with "you wrote it, not me!" And don't even ask about a restaurant menu. Now, I can see great! Thanks much Dr. Parkhurst - RLE is awesome!

flag | Submitted March 27, 2019

OMG!!!! Don't even know where to begin.. Let's start with this...I have had one eye completed for cataract surgery and go back next week for the other eye.. I woke up and just couldn't believe it!! I don't remember EVER seeing this clearly!! Probably because I never have.. My vision the day after the surgery was close to 20/15 which is better than the 20/20 I had as a teen (and I am 66 years old) .. I am told that after a few days of healing it could even improve more!! No way!!!! I drove home the day after the surgery (4 1/2 hours to Fort Stockton, TX) and just grinned all the way home as I saw colors and objects with clarity I have never seen before!! And without not even a hint of any pain anywhere..in fact, the eye felt completely normal as if there hadn't even been any surgery performed ...My daughter says I sound like an 18 year old who got a Corvette for Christmas!!! This is literally the most excited I can remember ever being about anything!! It's changed my life!!! Also wanted to say that the staff is GREAT!! When I first walked into the facility I thought I had taken a wrong turn!! It looks like a 5 star resort.. SUPER CLEAN which is always a big deal for me when it comes to doctors offices.. But let's talk about the actual procedure.. For those who are "scared" of messing with their eyes, "DON'T BE".. The technology is simply amazing.. I am told that even if you move your eye during the procedure the laser detects it instantly and shuts off until the eye is stable again... Regardless of any of this 'magic,' I just need to say that there was NO PAIN at "ANY" time during the procedure.. The worst part of experience (and it wasn't bad at all) was the eye drops that they put in my eyes burned "a little" for a second.. You get my point, that was the only "annoyance" of the whole procedure and it barely qualifies as a complaint..Once they got me into the operating room the whole procedure took about 10 minutes!! Yep.. that's it.. That's how it goes when you have outstanding professionals at every turn.. Dr Parkhurst is truly amazing..I researched him extensively as I did other ophthalmologists before choosing him...He has performed cataract surgery on both of his parents, but what got me the most were all of the testimonials and all of his charity work.. He goes to Mexico and performs much needed procedures for many people who cannot afford to have it done, otherwise.. One particularly touching story is the one where he performed surgery on a woman who could only touch and hold her grandchild but had never seen them.. Dr. Parkhurst is the reason she got to see her grandchild for the "first time!!".. Can you imagine!! Anyway, I will follow up with this review after I have had my other eye completed and it has recovered completely..Kind of weird to actually be excited and "looking forward " to surgery, but there's no other way to put it! I will post again after my final follow up on April 9.. Do yourself a favor if you are suffering with cataracts and go see these people!!

flag | Submitted March 27, 2019

Based on the careful communication and multiple thorough pre operative visits, I felt confident that the procedure would be performed safely and effectively. In addition, I also was able to determine the particular treatment that suited my objectives, with appropriate knowledge and realistic expectations of the outcome. The procedure itself was a breeze. I am very pleased with my choice to have vision correction after 30 years of extreme nearsightedness and contact lenses!

Dr. Gregory D. Parkhurst's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Parkhurst has known since childhood that he wanted to help people with their eyesight. As a young kid growing up in rural Michigan, he, like many others, had to wear glasses. As an avid soccer and baseball player, his glasses were constantly falling off his face or becoming scratched and damaged on the ball field. After many years dealing with glasses & contacts, as well as several trips to have his eyes examined, Dr. Parkhurst began to look at his eye doctor in a different way. Not only did the young Dr. Parkhurst see the value in the services his doctor provided, but he admired the way his doctor was actively involved in the community. Eye care began to take on an important meaning: from patient to life purpose. “My doctor was really active in the community and was a real outstanding guy. I looked up to his stature in the town, how his practice sponsored community athletic teams, and really saw the importance of what he was providing me and my family.” Later while going to college and working as an eye technician for a local Ophthalmologist, Dr. Parkhurst had the unique opportunity to go on a cataract medical mission to southern Mexico. In many poor communities, people do not have access to quality eye surgery, which is so necessary in that part of the world. Many of these people were “hand-on-the-shoulder blind” from hyper-mature cataracts and would wait in line for days in order to have access to the team’s donated surgical services. The surgical team decided only to operate on one eye of each patient, even though most patients were functionally blind in both eyes. You really only need one seeing eye to function, and this way, twice as many people could be helped. One of the most memorable experiences of Dr. Parkhurst’s life was on the one-day postop when patients, many of whom had not seen for 20 or 30 years, came in with their families for their scheduled check-up. Dr. Parkhurst witnessed the joy of these grandparents when the bandages came off, and they quite literally saw their grandchildren’s faces for the very first time. The experience left him speechless and locked him into this profession for good. “Vision is such a precious thing that we can easily take for granted. I never tire of that moment when a patient sees again.” Dr. Parkhurst constantly strives to be the best in his field, particularly in San Antonio where he and his family have made a permanent home. Working with his hands and being able to have a significant impact on someone’s quality of life is a true passion. This passion to do the best work possible was recognized when he became one of the busiest LASIK surgeons in the nation while he served in the military, and also when he was presented the Global Young ICL Surgeon-of-the-Year award in 2013. As a busy surgeon and now international lecturer, he continues to be one of the leading Refractive surgeons in the country. Dr. Parkhurst’s commitment to his patients and his profession is never ending. He continues to explore and find the best possible treatments for his patients. Dr. Parkhurst has been honored by being one of a handful of talented surgeons nationally invited to take part in several FDA Clinical trials, as well as developing procedures and techniques of his own. In 2014, Dr. Parkhurst testified before an advisory panel for the FDA, which resulted in the recommendation for approval of a new procedure in the United States. “Forty or 50 years ago, cataract surgery meant a two week stay in the hospital, now I can give a person the ability to see again, many times in as little as a few minutes. I love my job, and I love doing procedures to help people with their vision.”

• English
  • Spanish

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 2003)
  • Hillsdale College (Grad. 2009)

• Cataract surgery
  • LASIK eye surgery

• "Top Ophthalmologist" in San Antonio according to The Leading Physicians of the World Publication
  • Listed on the "Top 40 under 40" Most Influential Ophthalmologists in the world by The Ophthalmologist, an authority on the eye care industry out of Europe
  • Current President of the Refractive Surgery Alliance, an international society of Refractive Surgeons with over 150 eye surgeon members
  • Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
  • American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award 2015
  • Parkhurst NuVision became the first designated LensAR laser cataract center of excellence in the United States in 2015 and still stands as the only center with that designation in the South Region
  • Published text book chapters on Laser Cataract Surgery and Visian ICL, available in multiple languages worldwide
  • Fellow of the American College of Surgeons