Ratings for Dr. Karen Heffernan

Went to this therapist for ptsd for about a year.. I feel as though she let reimbursement shadow her work. I personally paid over 8000 out of pocket for our sessions and my last voicemail message from her was about missing payment from our last scheduled session which I canceled.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2016

In 3 years she's moved her office twice. Dumps patients who don't fit in geographically and does this with no closure., no final meeting to leave positive image of her and the treatment. Not to provide closure is sadistic, IMHO,

flag | Submitted October 9, 2015

Very sensitive, safe and respectful therapist who helped me overcome severe trauma. After years of not feeling able to trust therapy, this has made me to willing to let people in again.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2015

Had boundary issues and allowed her counter-transference issues to interfere with her ability to provide appropriate counseling.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2015

Extremely helpful and experienced working with rape survivors and sufferers of PTSD. Best psychologist I have ever had.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2013

Dr. Heffernan is an expert in PTSD and in helping indiviuals who suffered abuse. She is very relatable, not only listens to you, but focuses on your body language and asks how you feel or if you realize anything about how you are sitting (like tapping your foot or clenching your fist). She is very attentive and knowledgable and sets the pace for moving forward based upon your comfort level and reactions. Most of all she gives you hope. Dr. Heffernan works closely with you Psychiatrist so that together they can make sure I receive what I need. In fact, my psychiatrist was so unresponsive, Dr. Heffernan not only found a list of psychiatrists, but also called them to feel them out before recommding them to me. I now have a great team helping me. I highly recommend Dr. Heffernan.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2012