Ratings for Dr. Steven B. Matfis

Dr. Maftis seems to be completely burnt out and bored with his job. He emplys a faux Socratic-method, asking the pateint what he thinks , but it is completely ineffective because he will cut you off repeatedly before you can arrive at an answer. At my last visit I had several questions about my treatment and medication that were never answered because he didn't have the time to hear me out, but he did have the time to engage in a long extremely adversarial political discussion (he accused me of being a communist because I dais Pfizer should pay more taxes). On top of his extreme incompetence due to some form of burn out , he exhibits complete contempt for the patient. He is a living stereotype of the arrogant doctor. I am diagnosed with extreme depression and the last thing I need is to fear going to my PCP. I agree with other reviewers that he should be avoided and is a dangerous man. He is my second PCP at HVMA, which I think overall is a very profit-oriented company with very bad communication among specialists despite having a centralized database that often makes me feel like I cannot speak to any of my doctors in confidence.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2015

Reading other reviews makes me feel better about how I feel about this doctor. I can't tell how knowledgeable he is about his trade because he never really gives me any diagnosis or advice. Every time I explain to him the symptom I have he would just said "So what do you think?" or "What are you going to do about it?” It is not about touchy-feeling or rudeness. It is more that he wants you to diagnose yourself just so that no one would sue him for malpractice. To top it all, he would end the session with "You will figure it out yourself".

flag | Submitted February 3, 2010

I've been seeing Dr. Matfis for about ten years. I chose him because he's not touchy-feely. If you want touchy-feely, he's not your guy. But if you want a no-nonsense, compassionate, analytical doctor, he's a good choice. Being sick is often an emotional event. Taking emotions out of it helps find the cause and the cure. I've been to him with an odd assortment of ailments, and he always gets it right, or close enough to right. And by that I mean, medicine is an art and a science. He hones in on what’s really going on, not your emotions about what’s going on. He’s professional and thorough. A good diagnostician is going to wait through the emotions to get to the problem, which is his style. If you want someone to hold your hand and cry with you, bring a friend or hire a therapist. But if you want a good doctor, one who will go the extra mile (he made time for me at MY convenience when his horrible (HMO) support staff messed up my appointment), he’s the guy, a real human working in a tough environment.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2010

I've had Dr Mathfis as my primary care physician for about 10-15 years and I am so satisfied with him I've recommended him to other members of my family. When my brother in law's wife was laid off he lost his health insurance but rather than switch to his own insuranve which is out of state, he's paying a much higher premium with COBRA because if he switched he would lose Dr Matfis. The only problem I have had is that sometimes there is a wait to see him but that is because he is taking extra time with patients and not rushing through his appointments assembly line style. I don't know why anyone would be checking this web site anyway because his practice is not accepting new patients which kind of proves my point.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2009

very good dr. always takes the time to answer your questions and explain things. as to any amount i pay it is because i have aetna. unless i was hit by a pink mule at midnight it will not be covered. i stay with dr matfis because i believe he really cares

flag | Submitted September 4, 2009

This guy is the rudest and most incompetent Doctor I have ever met. My Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and when I questioned him regarding the haldol he was prescribing her, his response was arrogant, he stated "look your Mother is not getting better" Thats the closest I came to physical violence against a Dr.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2009

misdiagnosed my sons hodgkins lymphoma for over a year, even though we found out after the fact that the symptoms he presented were classic. Refused to x ray his chest repeatedly, and told him his cough was a 'bad habit' he had gotten himself into. When he finally provided an xray, he discovered his chest to be in such bad shape, he ordered an ambulance to take him to an emergency room. They diagnosed his problem in 1 hour. This doctor isn't just rude and condescending, he is dangerously bad at what he does. Run away!!!

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Matfis is the rudest doctor I have ever seen. He makes you think your sickness is all in your head. No bedside manner. Avoid the frustration and negativity that other folks have gone through and find another qualified physician.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2008

Dr.Matfis misdiagnosed my father on at least 3 occassions.When he had spinal stenosis, he told him it was in his head and drugged him up with pain killers saying it would go away. Same with the hip! As I write this, my father is in the hospital after being over medicated on blood pressure meds. After 2 major surgeries,Matfis refuses to give him a handicap parking pass!!!!It is a crime that this man has a license!!!

flag | Submitted July 20, 2008

Doctor Steven Matfis was such a complete jerk to me that I will not return to his office for more abuse. He made me diagnose myself by asking me repeatedly "Well, What do you think the problem is?" And then when I told him what I thought the diagnosis could be- he just sat there rolling his eyes. He basically couldn't wait to pat me on the head and then send me on my way. He refused to give me medication stating, "Well, I really don't know you that well, so I don't want to give you any medication" What kind of doctor says that? If he doesn't want to treat people, he should not accept new patients. What a jerk! Don't waste your time with this guy. He just needs a new line of work. Also I have never been so aggrivated with a doctor that I actually took the time to look up other people's opinions and actually write a review. And if you are lucky enought to read this before seeing Dr Matfis, then take our advise look for another Doctor.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2007

Dr. Steven B. Matfis's Credentials

• UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS MEDICAL SCHOOL (Grad. 1979)