Ratings for Dr. Hugh G. Maddox

This man is SO terrible! He does nothing but give you drugs and try to push this money making stimulator off on people who don't need it. And he's great at listening if he's in a good mood or as long as you don't go against what he says. He will turn on you in a heartbeat , treat you like dirt, and act like he never even cared. He curses, he's rude, and very arrogant. He needs to be investigated and hopefully put out of practice.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017

I can't believe any of this about dr. Maddox because I've known him from my gym for several years although I haven't seen the last few but he always listened to me in the gym offered me to come by and see what he could do but it sounds to me like a lot of people won't just pain pills and stuff and I have had to be on them but I'm going to see him Monday and tell him the medication I'm on I would prefer to be weaned off I'm not sure I want anything injected in my back because I lift weights and then start putting stuff in your back that message your weight lifting on but even when I saw him in the gym outside the office he was one of the nicest guys I've ever met and seem real concerned about the problems I was having so sounds like a lot of you guys want Roxy cotton whatever and I may well need roxycontins but if I do I want to be weaned off of them I'm retired now I just want my life back I can't leave it like this but I look forward to seeing Dr Maddox and all these people talking him you're completely wrong he's a gentleman took time to talk to me in the gym instead of being rude and saying you have to see me at the doctor's office so I look forward to seeing it and my name is Terry Bowerman have no problem leaving my name

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

WOW, I really don't know where to begin but I must find some point and I will by telling you a bit about myself. I am a 47 year old man who has been in pain management 2006. I have taken quite a bit of pain medication in the past 10 years starting with Lortab and TRYING to end the use of opioid medications. Now comes the the most unusual and will say the worst interaction with any doctor ever. I have several vertebrae with different prognosis. C3,4,5 are compressed. S1 & L5 is ruptured with a bone fragment in my sciatic nerve that keeps me in quite a bit of pain in spite of the amount of meds I have been on for years. I was told about an implant that blocks the pain that this doctor Maddox was using. I am not able to have surgery to correct the problem according to several surgeons and regular doctors. I will be in a management setting for the rest of my life. So I get an appointment with this doctor Maddox and wanted to see if the implant would help me with the pain and come off all meds. So I will not refer to him as a doctor from this point on. I go through the spill I just wrote and he says that he would not prescribe the meds that the other doctor had been prescribing me that he didn't like the way he prescribed meds and that he would prescribe fentanyl patches, now I will tell you that I am and have been on some strong meds as surgery is not an option for me and I just told him that I wanted off the meds period not increase the chance of me dieing by putting me on a patch that is stronger than what I have been on for years. I just told him I want the implant and be weaned off of the meds I am on. So he proceeded to tell me that it was going to be his way and I told him that we will have to meet somewhere in between. So  he didn't like that and asked about the meds I was on and I told him what I had been prescribed AGAIN and he asked the amount of my meds I had left. I responded to his question with the truth and he about lost his mind and said that I was not following directions and I said I was according to instructions on the bottle, he said no I was not and again I said yes I did. He gets all pissed and jumps up and asked if I had taken a urine test when I came in, I said no and he said that he would not talk about meds with me until I took one. He called his nurse in and told her to urine test me, I walked behind the lady to the counter for her to slide a paper to me with all sorts of meds on it and told me to check the boxes of the meds I have in my system. I started checking the boxes of the meds I have in my system and as I was finishing up I asked where the box was for pot (joking as I have been drug tested for the past 10 years) and she placed her hand over the paper and said we DON'T TEST FOR POT. To say the least I was quite surprised as I have signed several drug contracts and EVERY ONE states in some fashion that you will be kicked out of the pain management for taking ILLEGAL drugs. I went and gave the sample and returned it to her, she asked me to return to the room I was in. I did and he came by the room and I asked him to come in for a second so I could ask about the implant for the 3rd time. He said that he would not even talk about the implant with me until the drug test came back and closed the door. I sat about 30 more seconds and had decided he is not a doctor that I wanted to treat me and got up and walked out of the door just decided this guy wants to put me on stronger meds than I am on that I want to come off of only to meet the lady who took my urine sample. I told her not to bother sending it out as I would not come back. He thinks he is God and I also think that he is a God but more of a God #@&@ fool. You people who want to have a doctor prescribe you some strong meds, he is your guy. You people who smoke pot but can't because you are in a management clinic and get drug tested, he is your guy. You people who are sick and tired of meds and would like to come off or cut back, he is NOT your guy. Look further for a doctor that has ears and will listen to you, your life depends on it. I hope that the DEA or local police read this as if you are in management that is the whole point of urine test, to make sure you are following orders and not self medicating.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

I was refered to Dr. Maddox from my regular family dr. The first Pain Manegement I was sent to was Dr. Lackey in Gadsden . I went once a month for five months or so., and from the moment i walked in till I left! I saw, heard, and witnessesd offensive words and no body seemed to care !. The Dr was nice most of the time but I was put on so many meds 4-5 every month and nothing helped except Percacets he gave me the last 2 times before he sent a message that. He couldn't help me with my pain and I would not tAke a shot in the back . That hurt me but I knew all was glad to see me go. Now my first time seeing Maddox was scary ! Because I. Had never had a dr say curse words before . That made me uneasy and upset me and was afraid to go back but I was put on a expensive meds but for the first time!! In over 6 months I felt the ER med was helping !! So I prayed and. Talked with my husband and family and. My answer was go back and Don't let any negitave words that was being said., to hurt my chance for not getting better., cause the meds are working!! And I actually enjoyed my visit with him Monday , 10-20-2014 he listened!! My husband likes him! And I do to!! He's very knowledgeable ! About my condition and he tweaked my meds a bit more which are high dollar! But praise God for insurance !' The nurse that has been there well actually all of the Ladies around me and the young nurse all have been nice to me!!!' Life don't always treat us fair but.., when you feel like you are doing the right thing! And you pray about it.,!God won't let us down if we believe him!! Thank you Dt Maddox for Listening to me!!!' And everyone up there for caring!!!! God bless all with bad backs and thank God! For sending the right people in the time of need.. Wanda', the one who dr Maddox tells me I'm to nervous !

flag | Submitted October 21, 2014

I have had three back surgeries. I prefer the pain instead of going back to that place. The stimulator they put in my back is a joke. Also they treat you like a drug addict. I often wonder what they think pain management is.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2014

Dr. Maddox and his staff are some of the rudest, unfriendly people that I have ever met. I know this because I have witnessed it first hand. I know their jobs must be tough ones, dealing with alot of patients that are highly medicated and in pain, but how can they justify treating the patients and their family in the manner that they do? Their patients are struggling with their medical conditions and the last thing they need is to face these negative, condecending people while dealing with their medical issues. It appears that every person in this office has the same negative personality. While at checkout, Maddox was having a conversation about the new car he was going to purchase. Hard to listen when you're standing there in pain, trying to cover all you need, and ask the questions before you get rushed out the door. They act like they can't stand it when you ask a question. Why are they so defensive? Something is just not right about this place.....

flag | Submitted January 25, 2013

CALLED FOR APPT. PAIN MGMT. WAS A LAST RESORT FOR ME. TRIED THERAPY, EPIDURALS. TRIGGER POINT, ETC. THE STAFF WAS ACCUSATORY WITH ME ON THE PHONE. THEY DON'T KNOW ME AND THEY SURELY DON'T KNOW WHAT I GO THROUGH. OFCOURSE I DIDN'T GO THERE AND AFTER READING THE OTHER REVIEWS YOU CAN SEE WHY!!

flag | Submitted April 24, 2009

all he wants to do is epidural after 25 you would think he would know it not working refuses to give nothing but name brand drugs . whats up with that ?

flag | Submitted October 26, 2008

Very arrogant, Just plain rude.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2008

Dr. Hugh G. Maddox's Credentials

• Medical College Of Georgia (Grad. 1975)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Anniston, AL