Ratings for Dr. John R. Karlen

Terrible experience. I will never go back.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2014

Dr. Karlen has performed two surgeries on me, the first in September 2010, the second in December 2012. Both of the surgeries were quite complex. He is extremely knowledgeable, and was very empathetic, as well. I was in the hospital for eight days after recent surgery, and he came to see me six of those eight days. He was involved in my care, and treated me like a person, not just a patient. The residents that worked with him, and his office staff, were excellent as well. I would highly recommend Dr. Karlen to anyone, especially in dealing wth complex medical situations.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2013

I had this doctor for surgery in 2005 and found him willing to answer my questions and very reassuring and comforting. I have continued to go to him since then. My latest visit was this week. I trust his experience and feel like I am in capable hands.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2011

I has cancer surgery and he came to see me once and I was discharged the next day.. I kept telling him my leg was infected and he said it normal and not infected and list goes on of problems i encounterd..

flag | Submitted March 7, 2011

Rude bedside manners. Multiple requests were made to send records to another practice. Had to make multiple after- hours phone calls waiting hours or even a day before getting a response from doctor.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2010

Been in practice many years. Knows his stuff. Yet, I am a healthcare professional and have left his care. Perhaps the worst bedside manner I have ever come across - abrupt, dismissive. Stocks a shabby, cramped waiting room with people who are facing some of the most difficult decisions of their lives.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2009

I met Doctor Karlen in the hospital. He was fast at finding the problem and preformed a complete hystertomy in an emergency. He came and checked on me afterwards in the hospital. He even searched for me while I was on my "walk". I have changed doctors and he is now my new Gyn.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2008

Dr. Karlen was great at diagnosing and taking care of the immediate problem of a growth on my ovary. It''s the bladder infection afterwards that he ignored and passed the pain off as "normal" that was irritating. After a month of bleeding and weeks in pain I went to my family doctor and was diagnosed right away and put on antibiotics. Oh, and the constant reassuring that the pain was normal, that was done over the phone, he didn''t bring me back in to check it out or anything. Just kept passing messages to me through his office staff. Not very reassuring.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2008

Dr. John R. Karlen's Credentials

• Northwestern Univ Med Sch, Chicago Il 60611 (Grad. 1969)