Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Alexander I. Spira

Attentive to all questions, comforting "bed side - office" manner and good sense of humor, high level of competence deduced from all of my interactions. Would highly recommend.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2019

I sleep very well at night knowing this man is my oncologist. I have been NED for quite some time but I am certain that if this cancer rears its head again I am in the best hands possible. It allows me to live my life better.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2019

Dr. Alexander I. Spira's response
We are happy to hear you had such a positive experience with Dr. Spira. He is a wonderful provider and we are glad to have been able to support you in your fight against cancer. We wish you continued health.

Submitted June 28, 2019

Dr Spira had an amazing bed side manner and right on point. The nurses and staff were so helpful and nice.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2019

Submitted June 28, 2019

I hit the jackpot when I I became a patient of Dr. Spira and his team. I find it hard to come up with the right words to express how thankful for everything they are doing for me. All I can say is, "Thank you so much and keep on doing what you have been doing."

flag | Submitted May 14, 2019

You people are right on. Can ‘t say enough great things about Dr. Spira and his whole team. The best!

flag | Submitted May 13, 2019

Dr.. Spira is the best doctor that I have ever been to. He surpasses every expectation imaginable. I would not be here today if it wasn't for him. I am on a clinical trial drug that has lasted almost 3 years now. His knowledge and kindness are priceless

flag | Submitted May 13, 2019

Dr. Spira came very highly recommended. Our visit with him was consistent with the recommendation. He is very knowledgeable, thorough and has a really good bed side manner.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2019

Dr Spira immediately connected with me as a person, a perfect way to start an ongoing working relationship. He has in all of our meetings demonstrated an ability to both listen to the patient and to provide needed information to the patient. He impresses me as being very high IQ and extremely knowledgeable in his field, one which is undergoing radical technical change today. I have great confidence in his ability to meet my needs as a patient. His team is efficient at meeting the total breadth of the patient's needs, both physical and emotional. They are a well oiled machine!

flag | Submitted February 6, 2019

Dr. Spira complements his excellent care with practical advice for dealing with cancer. He always shares the latest medical developments, is forthright in his assessments, and listens and responds to patient concerns.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2019

Dr. Alexander I. Spira's response
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience! We are so glad that our team was able to provide you compassionate care and service during this difficult time. It means so much to hear from our patients and to know that we have made a difference for you. Please let us know if there’s anything we can do for you in the future.

Submitted January 24, 2019

I am very pleased with everyone and everything. My experience has been wounderful.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2019

Dr. Alexander I. Spira's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

A graduate of Harvard University, Dr. Alex Spira earned his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine. He then went on to complete his internship and residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and he completed his medical oncology fellowship at Johns Hopkins Hospital. During his training, Dr. Spira was granted many awards and honors, and he completed several specialized fellowship programs. Among these honors were the National Institutes of Health Medical Scientist Training Program Fellowship (1990-1997), Merck Corporation Scholarship (1995-1995), Pediatric AIDS Foundation Fellowship (1993-1995) and Harvard University Scholarship (1987-1990). Dr. Spira has also received his PhD from the New York University School of Arts and Sciences. As Director of the VCS Research Institute and the Phase I Trial Program, Dr. Spira is actively involved in advancing medicine and targeted treatment options for patients. Although his research interests are numerous, Dr. Spira particularly enjoys studying immunotherapy, personalized medicine, GI and thoracic cancers, and lung cancers. Dr. Spira also serves as the Medical Director for the Inova Thoracic Oncology Program and as Chair of the US Oncology Pathways Taskforce Committee for Lung Cancer. Dr. Spira is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American Society of Hematology, the American Association of Cancer Research, the US Oncology Translational Oncology Program, the US Oncology Lung Cancer Program, and the International Society for the Advancement of Lung Cancer. Additionally, Dr. Spira is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and author of various publications. Throughout his career, Dr. Spira has received multiple honors, including Top Doctor in Northern Virginia Magazine and Washingtonian magazine for multiple years. In 2014, he received the prestigious Castle Connolly America's Top Doctor award. In his spare time, Dr. Spira enjoys spending time with his family, coaching children's sports, cycling, and cheering on his favorite New York sports teams.

• English

• New York University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1997)
  • Harvard University (Grad. 1990)

Capital Blue Cross