Ratings for Dr. Alexander I. Spira

I was near death when I met Dr. Spira, with a rare metastisized cancer. His treatment brought me back from the brink and has kept me alive for two and a half years. We are on our third protocol for leiomyosarcoma. He is one of those doctors who will do the extraordinary to help you. I meet many medical personnel when I go for scans, EKGs, cancer support, etc. and all the people I meet rave about Dr. Spira. He has a reputation as a genius. I feel that I am in the best hands possible and my gratitude is immeasurable.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2012

Dr. Spira is my mom's oncologist. She has advanced lung cancer (as many of his patients do). You must know that when someone you love has a terminal disease, it is VERY important that a doctor knows what he/she is doing. We all feel VERY confident with Dr. Spira. God Bless him!

flag | Submitted October 18, 2011

Dr. Spira, is an excellent doctor. He makes what is a bad situation the best he can. He's honest with his answers, no sugar coating but you feel his sincerity and desire to help you. I can't say enough good things about him.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2011

Very knowledgeable and understanding during a time of great uncertainty.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2009

Dr. Alexander I. Spira's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

A graduate of Harvard University, Dr. Alex Spira earned his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine. He then went on to complete his internship and residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and he completed his medical oncology fellowship at Johns Hopkins Hospital. During his training, Dr. Spira was granted many awards and honors, and he completed several specialized fellowship programs. Among these honors were the National Institutes of Health Medical Scientist Training Program Fellowship (1990-1997), Merck Corporation Scholarship (1995-1995), Pediatric AIDS Foundation Fellowship (1993-1995) and Harvard University Scholarship (1987-1990). Dr. Spira has also received his PhD from the New York University School of Arts and Sciences. As Director of the VCS Research Institute and the Phase I Trial Program, Dr. Spira is actively involved in advancing medicine and targeted treatment options for patients. Although his research interests are numerous, Dr. Spira particularly enjoys studying immunotherapy, personalized medicine, GI and thoracic cancers, and lung cancers. Dr. Spira also serves as the Medical Director for the Inova Thoracic Oncology Program and as Chair of the US Oncology Pathways Taskforce Committee for Lung Cancer. Dr. Spira is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American Society of Hematology, the American Association of Cancer Research, the US Oncology Translational Oncology Program, the US Oncology Lung Cancer Program, and the International Society for the Advancement of Lung Cancer. Additionally, Dr. Spira is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and author of various publications. Throughout his career, Dr. Spira has received multiple honors, including Top Doctor in Northern Virginia Magazine and Washingtonian magazine for multiple years. In 2014, he received the prestigious Castle Connolly America's Top Doctor award. In his spare time, Dr. Spira enjoys spending time with his family, coaching children's sports, cycling, and cheering on his favorite New York sports teams.

• English

• New York University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1997)
  • Harvard University (Grad. 1990)