You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Jonathan T. Deland

Office staff was amazing. I even got a call.... Not an email response, from an email on a Saturday morning while she was on vacation. Her response when I thanked her was "this is my job! I make sure you don't have to worry about things" Dr. Deland took his time and did not rush any discussion I have had, even getting on phone when I called late in the day to ask questions. HHS for my surgery was amazing as well. So glad I decided to see Dr. Deland

flag | Submitted May 14, 2016

Arrogant overrated doctor. My pre-surgery consult. was rushed and uninformative. Yes if he were so technically adept I suppose his lofty demeanor may be justified, but I was not impressed with his skill set or staff so so did not use him for my issue. Some surgeons think every nail needs a hammer and go overboard with their recommendations. No thank you.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

Dr.Jonathan Deland changed my life. I am a 67 year old construction company owner living in Kennett Square, PA, and was hardly able to walk. At 29, I had an ankle replacement after a debilitating fall. I've been in severe pain for years, had several procedures, and opted for a second replacement. After extensive research, I decided the best place for the replacement was Hospital for Special Surgery. Being a unique case, Dr. Deland went to great lengths to obtain my medical history as far back as 1977 when I had my first replacement. Obviously, he was well prepared. He consulted with other members of his team and explained any possible risks and complications. The focus at HSS is to manage your pain level and it was definitely accomplished. I was in HSS for five days and experienced little to no pain. His staff was very professional and extremely attentive. I have the deepest respect for Dr. Deland and praise his ability and dedication.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Dr Deland is, as many others have said, extremely knowledgeable. However, I felt like he saw my case as an interesting intellectual puzzle, rather than a situation that impacted a real person. Recovery from my surgery took significantly more time than he has predicted (a year on crutches, vs. 4-6 months), and I felt that once the surgical part was over there was little interest in getting me back to living my life in a functioning way. I had to push to get a referral for PT, as he didn't think it would help (it did). Four years down the line, I still am having pain in my ankle. I'm not sure any other surgeon could have done a better job with the surgical side given my situation, but I feel like he feels his job is done. I agree that the surgery itself was beautifully executed, with the neatest scars of any of my multiple orthopedic surgeries. Be prepared to wait HOURS after your scheduled appointment time to see him . Very frustrating. However, his staff are lovely and very professional.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2015

I was born with more problems in my feet and ankles than I can describe. i wasnt able to live a normal life and was in tremendous pain whenever i used my feet. I saw the best doctors in America only to be told that my issues were inoperable and I'd have to live my life in pain. I finally found a highly rated doctor and he botched my surgery. My already horrible feet got worse :(. My day to day life was not fun. 5 years later I was tipped off by a relitave in the medical field to Dr. Deland. I was told that he's supposedly the best in the world, but he won't take just anyone and he commands a "premium". I pleaded my case and he seemed intrigued and diognosed me and said i could be helped. He said I'd always be in some degree of pain, but he could relieve most of it. Two years after my surgery, I'd call it successful. I can now walk miles. Before my surgery, half a city block was impossible for me to walk. Dr. Deland is an odd guy. He doesnt have an outgoing personality, but I could care less because he knows his stuff and could do what no other doctor could do- He fixed me. He'sstraight to the point. He gave me his cell phone number if i ever had a problem. Hes been very caring, as has his staff in my post-op visits. I couldnt reccomend him highly enough. If you have a unique orthopedic problem that no one can fix, go se what Dr. Deland can do for you. He really is the best at what he does.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2015

As a physician myself, I did extensive research to choose the best-qualified doctor for my foot surgery. This lead me to Dr. Deland, and I am very satisfied with the outcome. Dr. Deland is an outstanding surgeon who corrected my painful foot problems and restored my foot to normal function and appearance. My experience with Dr. Deland was entirely positive; I would recommend him without reservation.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2014

Dr. Jonathan Deland - you get what you pay for - the best. Formidable skills. Practical and pragmatic and extremely thorough. Forget it if you want bed-side manner! I would rather have the best and a no nonsense approach. My surgery was a big deal and it took all of my Summer away but I am walking and through it now. I could not be happier. And an exquisite job in terms of scars or lack of scars for what looked like Frankenstein Foot four months ago. I had over 20 stiches. October 2014

flag | Submitted October 22, 2014

Dr Deland may be a terrific surgeon, but he had absolutely no bedside manor, which for me, was everything towards my recovery. He was indifferent, and uncaring each and every time I went for follow-up. My healing from a bone graft, took much longer than was expected and I felt he wished I would just go away and not bother him which inhibited my recovery!

flag | Submitted January 31, 2014

Dr. Deland went to Harvard, the number 1 medical school in the US before attending Columbia. He is excellent in diagnosing, even takes your foot pulse, can read the fine print of bones in an x-ray and reccomends elegant, artistic work. He is straight-forward and caring, and even called me on his cell to answer myriad questions. Super organized and buttoned up staff. There is no one better. Even his shoes are elegant.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

In addition to being perhaps the most revered doctor in his specialty, he has a very well organized office and intelligently recommends one physical therapist whom he has found to be most effective post surgery. If I have foot surgery again, I would only return to him.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2011

Dr. Jonathan T. Deland's Credentials

Oxford

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Office staff was amazing. I even got a call.... Not an email response, from an email on a Saturday morning while she was on vacation. Her response when I thank..."

May 14, 2016
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Arrogant overrated doctor. My pre-surgery consult. was rushed and uninformative. Yes if he were so technically adept I suppose his lofty demeanor may be justifi..."

October 28, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr.Jonathan Deland changed my life. I am a 67 year old construction company owner living in Kennett Square, PA, and was hardly able to walk. At 29, I had an ank..."

May 6, 2015
  • A new 3.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr Deland is, as many others have said, extremely knowledgeable. However, I felt like he saw my case as an interesting intellectual puzzle, rather than a situa..."

April 29, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I was born with more problems in my feet and ankles than I can describe. i wasnt able to live a normal life and was in tremendous pain whenever i used my feet. ..."

January 4, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "As a physician myself, I did extensive research to choose the best-qualified doctor for my foot surgery. This lead me to Dr. Deland, and I am very satisfied wi..."

October 23, 2014
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Jonathan Deland - you get what you pay for - the best. Formidable skills. Practical and pragmatic and extremely thorough. Forget it if you want bed-side ma..."

October 22, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=136778'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 3.7

February 5, 2014