Ratings for Dr. Michelle A. Petri

I've been seeing Dr. Petri for a few years now. Her knowledge base is great but year after year, she tells me the same thing at every appointment like I've never heard her say it before. Her recommendations for my knee arthritis was to lose weight; well, I lost the weight and was so happy for myself, I go to her appointment and she comes in with the same tone of voice and says "OK... so, you're going to need to lose weight to reduce the amount of pressure on your knees.." Same thing every time. I've had migraines for 20 years and my life has been saved by Imitrex but she tells me to stop taking Imitrex and manage my migraines with diet. Well, I've done diets for my migraines many times they never helped. She told me to get off my oral birth control. She told me to manage my joint pain and fatigue by doing Tai Chi. When I informed her that I had been doing the recommended Tai Chi for a year now with no alleviation in pain, she says "Well, you're going to need to increase your Tai Chi frequency & duration. Try doing at least 3 times a day. She told me to take hot baths the hottest I could stand every morning to help with my joint pain and stiffness. Well, being a new mother to a newborn, I'm lucky to get a quick shower every morning, hot long baths as soon as I wake up aren't possible. I did hot baths for a year prior with salts from the dead sea and epsom salts with no relief. Every time I go back to her its the same thing, "Increase your Tai Chi daily, lose weight (I did), take hot baths every morning as soon as you wake up, stop taking your Imitrex for your migraines, stop taking oral birth control pills, change your diet, continue your Plaquenil." And when I say "Yes Dr. Petri, I've been following these suggestions for years now without feeling better." Then she repeats the whole thing over again. I find her voice to sound sweet and concerned to someone just meeting her, but now have concluded that she does that to make it seem like she's concerned. It actually bothers me now. I feel like she doesn't truly listen to me. She makes no further recommendations. My primary care has tried to help me more with trial and error of different things or medications, something Dr. Petri doesn't do which is frustrating considering she is the rheumatologist.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

Dr Petri has alway been there to answer questions and has helped me as long as i always tell her all medication i am taking. She has made herself available on nights and week ends for her patients, and has prevented me from going into many severe lupus flare up. she recommends knowing your limitations and understanding your illiness!

flag | Submitted March 7, 2008

Dr. Michelle A. Petri's Credentials

• French

• Harvard Medical School (Grad. 1980)