Ratings for Dr. Oren Amitay

He made me do the work, which only now I am grateful for. Initially I think I wanted a quick fix but realized I was standing in my own way of living a fulfilling life. I have to credit Dr Amitay for gently helping me realize this.

Submitted September 8, 2016

I had an awesome experience working with this Dr. He was kind and non judgmental. Ive read some of the comments here and I cant believe some of the stuff Ive read. Then again, he deals with people who have issues and apparently sometimes people who lose their children. I didn't know any of this when I saw him. Either way it sounds like a tough job. No wonder he is so busy. Obviously he didn't need another patient when he took me on but he did. He also used a very reasonable sliding scale with me. I am just grateful that he helped me when he did.

Submitted July 13, 2016

Never ever ever hire him! If anyone needs therapy, he does.

Submitted March 14, 2016

Horrible - lies - not clear - obviously only interested in himself and money. Never ever hire him.

Submitted February 12, 2016

This guy has a massive ego and thinks he is a fantastic therapist and teacher and often talks about how highly he thinks of himself which is strange behaviour for a psychologist. He complains a lot about being very busy with his clinical and other work. He often forgets things you tell him, will say one thing one week and then deny having said it the next and forgets to respond to emails but does not take responsibility for this. He is a nice person and seems to care about his clients but his boundaries need work especially complaining about his other work to clients. When I struggled financially he accepted very small payments from me, much less than $100 for a while when I was having financial problems so I found his sliding scale to be very generous. I know he has accepted as low as $50 a session because I have paid that myself and so has someone else I know who saw him for a while. He knows a lot about psychology and the type of therapy he does is intended to be long term, like a few years before you can see changes. I would feel better after venting about my problems but that did not seem to make any lasting changes in my behaviour or relationship problems which was disappointing but he claimed I did not stick with it long enough to see those type of changes. It was not a terrible experience, he was a nice guy and clearly cared about me but I wish he hadn't talked about his other work as that made me question his judgement and boundaries. If you can afford to see him long term he could probably help you, like for 2 or 3 years. I could not afford to see him for that long but he said that was how long I would need but rent and food came first. If I could afford it I would go back but if I could find someone cheaper or free I would take that route first.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

Dr. Amitay is a perfect example of the old adage “Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.” My experience with him in therapy ended up causing me more harm than good. He claims to provide a sliding scale which is not very generous ($175/session). The advice he gave to my family ended up causing us more problems than we had before seeing him for therapy. There were many occasions where he was overwhelmed by his work with Parental Capacity Assessments for the Children's Aid Society which resulted in cancelled appointments because he was simply too busy and did not have time to respond when my family was in crisis.

Submitted October 4, 2014

I've been to several psychologists for my various disorders that I have suffered from for a long time and none have helped me as much as Dr. Amitay. He is warm and compassionate, which should be the least a psychologist should be, but sadly many are not. He was also flexible in his approach to therapy rather than others who have only been able to offer a single type of therapy. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2014

Dr Amitay does 60-70 parenting assessments a year, per his comments in court, this means with holidays, he cranks them out each complete assessment and report every 3.4 days all year long!! Visit Canadacourtwatch.ORG and see court decisions involving him and a dozen other CAS 'favorite' doctors and their botched assessments, easily misleading courts and denying treatment needs to parents and children called for in Ont. Reg. 25/07 and CFSA s 15(3)(c), s 15(3)(d) and s 37(3).

Submitted May 12, 2014

Dr. Amitay is worst when is comes to Parental Capacity Assessments. He got mine and my spouse files mixed up with another family, and accused me of being late and cancelling out on appointments which is not true. I do not recommend him for any parental capacity assessments, as he was not very professional in the way files were handled which he claims that they may have been shredded.

Submitted May 12, 2013

Dr. Amitay is a highly skilled Psychologist trained in a number of different therapy orientations. He shows great concern for the needs of his patient and is very accommodating and flexible.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2011