Ratings for Dr. Oren Amitay

I know first hand that Dr. Amitay has a very, very generous sliding scale and if you are in financial dire straits, his priority is that you get the support you need, not that he gets paid. Sliding scale is always decided on based on a patient's income so if someone is paying $175/session it is usually because their personal income is quite high. It amazes me the frivolous nonsense people will spend their money on and then complain about paying for therapy when psychologists spend a minimum of 10 years in school training and most have significant student loans. Please ignore snide comments about him being in it for the money because those comments come from people with unresolved issues and think leaving a nasty review on the internet is a way to solve these issues. It's funny how those people never mention the extra time and effort Dr. Amitay has given them that he spends with all of his patients who are in crisis that most other therapists would never even consider doing. Many therapists do not respond to clients outside of their allotted 45-50 minute session time. Dr. Amitay will respond to your emails, especially if you are in crisis and to your phone calls even if he has limited time. He will do phone sessions if you are unable to show up for a good reason and even Skype sessions on the weekend if you are truly in need. I have even had Face Time conversations with him. His teaching is on less than a part-time basis in the continuing education programs at Ryerson and U of T. Many students ask to see him as a therapist His therapy skills are solid and is trained in numerous techniques as he teaches clinical psychology as well as other psychology classes. This is in addition to his own extensive training in graduate school, which requires hundreds and hundreds of hours of clinical instruction and experience. However, he is not a magician. If you are in a loveless, miserable marriage he cannot magically solve that for you. If your family is unsupportive and unwilling to participate in family therapy and make changes to their own behaviours, there is nothing much he can do about your family situation. For many psychologically and emotionally damaged people, blaming the therapist is a common tactic when things don't go their way or they are challenged in treatment and don't like it. I would hate for anyone to pass up an opportunity to work with him because of a disgruntled, bitter, former client who took their issues out on him online. Dr. Amitay was of great help to my husband and I and maintained good boundaries by referring my husband to his own thoerapist and when it was clear we needed ongoing couples work, he explained why it was not ideal for him to do that work with us as he was my primary therapist. We found a couples therapist who also saw families so that our daughters could be included when we needed to address things as a family. He is a human, not a perfect man by any stretch but I found him to be truly caring and compassionate and willing to own up to his mistakes and apologize for misunderstandings. Yes, he is a busy man but I am relieved to know that he does work for Children's Aid because that agency desperately needs good clinicians doing assessments. I am no longer in therapy because with his support and the family and couples work we did, we managed to heal a lot of our old wounds and was able to face some old traumas that were holding me back in adult life. I learned a lot about myself in the course of my therapy with him and felt like I had a partner in tackling the depression that kept returning for years. After my appointments I always felt an incredible sense of relief and like I could breathe again, because I felt like I had unloaded a 50 pound weight in his office. Seeing patients leaving his office I read these reviews and wonder if I saw some of the bitter people who wrote nasty things. It's really too bad they did not stick out the recommended course and length of treatment with him because I found the entire experience to be completely worth the money and time invested. When my finances improved, I paid him more money and have no regrets about the investment I made into myself or my family. If things went south again in my life, I would not hesitate to call him and resume therapy again. I have recommended him to quite a few people, some of which actually did see him and they all had positive experiences as well. He is definitely worth trying out and if you are struggling he will do what he can to get you the quickest available appointment. Thank you, Dr. Amitay. My girls are thriving and the oldest is considering taking psychology in university. I think her experience watching her Mom heal from therapy has a lot to do with that decision! It's been a couple of years since my therapy ended with him and I am still doing well. I worked very hard, took his guidance and surprise, surprise, it worked! Life is not perfect but my ability to cope with what comes my way, good or bad.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2017

My therapy (and at least 7 other persons' that I know) with Dr. Amitay has been extremely positive. I believe the level of his experience in the field, his genuine care for human beings , and his progressive perspective makes him a unique and invaluable psychologist. I understand that like dating , there is no single perfect psychologist match that works for all. I have seen other psychologists- we either didn't click or as time passed, the connection changed, so it was not as helpful to continue with them. Dr Amitay however, I have known for 5 years now. I have visited him occasionally for various reasons and each time was a wonderful experience. By wonderful I mean, he is right to the point, makes (better say helps) you to expand your mind and think about the problem from a perspective that otherwise would have been missed. I have recommended Dr Amitay to whomever I care for that needed help and the ones who visited him are hooked! The world would have been a better place if we had more of his type.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2017

He made me do the work, which only now I am grateful for. Initially I think I wanted a quick fix but realized I was standing in my own way of living a fulfilling life. I have to credit Dr Amitay for gently helping me realize this.

Submitted September 8, 2016

I had an awesome experience working with this Dr. He was kind and non judgmental. Ive read some of the comments here and I cant believe some of the stuff Ive read. Then again, he deals with people who have issues and apparently sometimes people who lose their children. I didn't know any of this when I saw him. Either way it sounds like a tough job. No wonder he is so busy. Obviously he didn't need another patient when he took me on but he did. He also used a very reasonable sliding scale with me. I am just grateful that he helped me when he did.

Submitted July 13, 2016

Never ever ever hire him! If anyone needs therapy, he does.

Submitted March 14, 2016

Horrible - lies - not clear - obviously only interested in himself and money. Never ever hire him.

Submitted February 12, 2016

This guy has a massive ego and thinks he is a fantastic therapist and teacher and often talks about how highly he thinks of himself which is strange behaviour for a psychologist. He complains a lot about being very busy with his clinical and other work. He often forgets things you tell him, will say one thing one week and then deny having said it the next and forgets to respond to emails but does not take responsibility for this. He is a nice person and seems to care about his clients but his boundaries need work especially complaining about his other work to clients. When I struggled financially he accepted very small payments from me, much less than $100 for a while when I was having financial problems so I found his sliding scale to be very generous. I know he has accepted as low as $50 a session because I have paid that myself and so has someone else I know who saw him for a while. He knows a lot about psychology and the type of therapy he does is intended to be long term, like a few years before you can see changes. I would feel better after venting about my problems but that did not seem to make any lasting changes in my behaviour or relationship problems which was disappointing but he claimed I did not stick with it long enough to see those type of changes. It was not a terrible experience, he was a nice guy and clearly cared about me but I wish he hadn't talked about his other work as that made me question his judgement and boundaries. If you can afford to see him long term he could probably help you, like for 2 or 3 years. I could not afford to see him for that long but he said that was how long I would need but rent and food came first. If I could afford it I would go back but if I could find someone cheaper or free I would take that route first.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

Dr. Amitay is a perfect example of the old adage “Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.” My experience with him in therapy ended up causing me more harm than good. He claims to provide a sliding scale which is not very generous ($175/session). The advice he gave to my family ended up causing us more problems than we had before seeing him for therapy. There were many occasions where he was overwhelmed by his work with Parental Capacity Assessments for the Children's Aid Society which resulted in cancelled appointments because he was simply too busy and did not have time to respond when my family was in crisis.

Submitted October 4, 2014

I've been to several psychologists for my various disorders that I have suffered from for a long time and none have helped me as much as Dr. Amitay. He is warm and compassionate, which should be the least a psychologist should be, but sadly many are not. He was also flexible in his approach to therapy rather than others who have only been able to offer a single type of therapy. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2014

Dr Amitay does 60-70 parenting assessments a year, per his comments in court, this means with holidays, he cranks them out each complete assessment and report every 3.4 days all year long!! Visit Canadacourtwatch.ORG and see court decisions involving him and a dozen other CAS 'favorite' doctors and their botched assessments, easily misleading courts and denying treatment needs to parents and children called for in Ont. Reg. 25/07 and CFSA s 15(3)(c), s 15(3)(d) and s 37(3).

Submitted May 12, 2014