Ratings for Dr. Y. Raja Rampersaud

He was able to diagnose my spine problem just with a simple X-Ray. Other Dr's are using CT, MRI w. GAD. wonder why. Very pure performance - He is picking the patient just to do minimal work. He is like a Guy saying : Do every thing for food except work. Very poor performance: Rating by me. Knowledge D MINUS, Trust NONE

flag | Submitted October 7, 2018

As a patient of Dr. Rampersad last December, I can say he is a fantastic surgeon. I'm alive today thanks to his knowledge of the spine and his dedication during the 20 hour surgery. I was referred to him from another spinal surgeon and am very grateful for his skills and the amazing team he had assisting. From pre-op to post- op he has always explained everything very clearly. I wish him all the very best in his future. Thank you.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2018

Best doctor ever! He gave me my life back. Very skilled surgeon with good people skills. A rare combination. He has a passion for his patients and truly cares about giving better quality life. He is a highly skilled surgeon. One of the best and I will be forever grateful. Thank you Dr Rampersaud

flag | Submitted September 28, 2018

Dr Rampersaud has been a blessing for my husband. After a sports related injury in 2009, he was the 12th dr that my husband saw for his severe back and leg pain. Every other dr told him there was nothing they could do. He examined him thoroughly, reviewed his MRI’s and determined that he felt he was a surgical candidate.He operated Jan 5, fused his L4/L5, did a partial discectomy at L2 and literally gave my husband his life back! Within 3 weeks, he was able to throw his cane away(he had used it for 7 years), stop all pain meds and feel pretty much like he did prior to his injury in 2009. To say we are grateful, is an understatement. We will be FOREVER grateful to this wonderful and skilled surgeon.He and his associates were straightforward in all our discussions, always pleasant and kind. He provided clear follow-up instructions that my husband followed religiously for core strengthening and general fitness. We would recommend him to anyone. Thank you again Dr Rampersaud.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2018

I met with Dr Rampersaud today. I did not enjoy our meeting with him at all. His colleague, however, was very helpful. He took the time to review my MRI images in detail, and provided me with useful feedback regarding my concerns. Dr Rampersaud, however, was quite arrogant and insensitive. Upon meeting with him, I informed him that I am fearful of surgery and did not want to go through surgery based on my fear. He then laughed and asked me why my doctor referred me then. After a bit of back and forth (I explained to him that I am here because my family doctor recommended that I seek an opinion from a specialist, and that this information may help me make a better-informed decision pertaining to some of my concerns). Dr Rampersaud went on to say that, everyone has back problems; I did not need surgery, and that my case was normal (after quickly looking at the MRI image that was on his computer screen). Throughout all of this, he was arrogant and insensitive, not taking into account the pain I experience every day due to my condition (of which, he said, only takes him seconds to review an MRI image to know what I am experiencing). I fought back with him, stating that his comments were insensitive. His reply, "I am a surgeon...I haven't gotten insensitive yet." I told him that we are both human beings, and that it is important to be sensitive to others, especially when dealing with YOUR CLIENT's needs. He ended up apologizing, but it was not genuine at all. In our meeting today, Dr Rampersaud forgot why he entered the profession in the first place. Moreover, his attitude and behaviour towards the matter was completely unacceptable and unprofessional. None of his awards, accolades and/or positive reviews make up for the character he displayed today. I hope that he sees this review, and critically reflects on our meeting.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2018

Dr. R is simply as good as it gets in this country for minimally invasive spinal surgical interventions. I am 65, full of arthritis, and have spinal stenosis to add to my three artificial joints, done by others, all successful. But he did marvellous and miraculous spinal surgery on me three years ago. He can’t cure my stenosis. No one can. Gods gift to me. But what he did was a spinal laminactomy that had my neuropathy almost eradicated and back at work in 4 weeks, and walking again without any difficulty. It’s three years later. I have had minimal issues since. The nature of the disease means it will never disappear, and he cautioned me we might see each other again in several years time. And so it is. The stenosis has advanced in a couple other vertebrae, and a more complex correction will be required this time. We are proceeding forward. My father was a surgeon, my brother is a doctor, and I grew up knowing doctors. Some had bedside skills and others not. But they are not to be judged by their social skills, but by their ability to help. I have read all of these reviews. Well over 90% regard him as a life saver, as I do. The others are too focused on themselves and frankly have huge negative attitude issues. They plainly do not understand that the empirically proven statistical evidence is that outcomes are more successful where patients are positive. And it helps to recognize the pressures that a doctor like Dr. R operates under. He is a marvellous man, to whom I am very grateful. Of course you have to wait to be seen, of course you might be an hour after the scheduled appointment, and of course his support staff may not be perfect. Welcome to overworked, overpressured canadian health care. Anyone with a reasonable perspective will share with me, as most reviews do, that this is a caring man, an extraordinarily skilled surgeon, and frankly one who has given me my mobility life back once before, who I know will again soon on round two, and who will be at my back with my incurable stenosis affliction for the remainder of my days. Raj and his colleagues are great orthopaedic surgeons. They know more about arthritis clinically than any other hospital in the GTA. He and they are simply the best there is in Canada, and I’m grateful they are willing to look after me.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2018

Dr. Rampersaud literally saved my husbands life. He had a huge malignant sarcoma growing in his back adjacent to his spine. Our surgeons in London were not confident that they could remove the tumor without permanent damage to his spine, and referred us to Dr. Rampersaud. Dr. Rampersaud and his team especially Angela were amazing. They treated us with respect and dignity at all times and explained the procedure in terms that we were able to fully understand. He preformed a 20 hour surgery on my husband that included removing ribs, vertebrae, and full metal rods and screws up his entire spine, with a 2 month long hospital recovery afterward. All of the Dr.'s involved with this surgery are amazing, and I am so grateful to have the best care possible available to us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Dr. Rampersaud and Team, you guys are literal life savers!

flag | Submitted April 5, 2018

Well as others have posted, I had delt with dr. raj in the past. My experience was nothing but cut short evertime I had a question and he walked out at diffrent meetings. I was sent back to work till i had another a reoccurance and now ive been off work since. no help from him for me, on to the next one that i can ask questions about my condition without affecting his mood. Wven though he is a very well known dr. I wouldnt trust him ever after seeing him react that way. my thoughts anyhow. he has helped lots but to each their own.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2018

I was referred to him as a WSIB claim. He had no interest in assessing me properly, or taking my situation into account. His advice was to tell me I'm fine, and can go back to work doing light labour after 3 herniated discs. His advice led to me being re-injured, and starting back at day 1 of my recovery. During my next appointment months later, he acted as if the re-injury never happened, and I was just being lazy for not being back to work at a very physically demanding job. His assessing physiotherapist told me that my current treatment was not aggressive enough, and if I didn't switch to her more intensive plan, I would never recover. After trying to ease in to that new plan, I was re-injured worse than ever yet again. Now I won't ever be strong enough to return to my old job, and I'm retraining for a new career thanks to Dr. Rampersaud's negligent medical care.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2018

A truly amazing doctor! My mother Maha H. had a serious issue in her back and she was not able to walk at all for few months! Dr Rampersaud saved her life!! He was very kind and he gave us so much time to explain the entire situation for my mom, dad and me. We saw him and his nurse few times before the surgery and they used to explain every single detail to us. Me and my whole family are very thankful to this amazing person and his entire team.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2017