Ratings for Dr. Francis Hughes

I saw Dr. Hughes from toddlerhood until adolescence. As a child, I remember having no issues with her and I also remember my mum (a former nurse, therefore someone with medical knowledge) being very pleased too. When I was in my mid teens, I was struck with terrible depression that included self-mutilation. I hid both brilliantly well as I was top of my class and highly active in competitive sports and school activities. When I eventually got so sick that my school nurse (who was aware of the mental health issue plaguing me) forced my to speak with my mum, I knew I had hit rock bottom and that my life was truly in danger. My mum took me to the doctor and Dr. Hughes didn't even go so far as to ask the basic questions involved in spotting mental health issues nor did she ask the details of how/what I was feeling. Her diagnosis was just that teenage hormones/moodiness was kicking in. Thirteen years later, I am just getting my feet back under me. Thirteen years, three hospital stays (including one two-week stay), inpatient programs, outpatient programs, more medications than I have time or patience to name, TMS, and ECT. With mental illness comes much stigma. Especially before the recent trend in battling that. I, myself, am still battling that. When I finally got the courage to speak with my doctor, that's what I got; essentially a complete, cold shut-down. It was mortifying and filled me with more hopelessness. As much as mental health awareness is just starting to get some momentum now, I still look back and shake my head in disappointment at the way this medical doctor handled this potentially life-saving and life-changing appointment. I really hope Dr. Hughes had increased her mental health awareness like the public has over the last thirteen because as the doctor in this equation, she has the power to help through diagnosis, referral, prescription of medicine, and mere support; none of which my dying soul received. I remember her as a good doctor, and would recommend her for such, however, from my own experience, I wouldn't recommend her as I truly believe that a child or teen's health is an all-encompassing combination of physical, mental, and emotional well-being. And just like a bad fall and thus broken arm can happen out of nowhere, mental health can be a menacing, dark cloud that rolls in quickly too. So, some parents may be reading this thinking, "Oh but mental health is a non-issue for my children, so that's not a huge deal." May I just say again that my parents (and any adults around me) would've said the same about me; I was a poster child for both academics and activity and perhaps if I got the help I needed right away, I wouldn't have spent the next thirteen years dealing with an illness that had me close to death more times than I can count on my fingers and toes.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2016

Love Dr. Hughes!!! We have been with her for 20 years ... Have never met a more caring and knowledgeable Dr. She really knows her patients and always make the children feel at ease. she listens attentively, has a great sense of humor and knows her stuff! Nancy and her office staff are also the best, very kind and caring.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

Absolutely fabulous! So great with the kids. Always takes the time to ensure the kids are throughly checked.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

Dr Hughes is THE BEST pediatrician there is. She is kind, outgoing, smart and genuine. She speaks to me like she is a family friend, she is trustworthy and always knows whats best for her patients. If you are lucky enough to have Dr. Hughes as your doctor do not pass it up!! Shes awesome

flag | Submitted August 29, 2015

Dr. Hughes was my doctor from the age of 1 until I was 19 years old. Dr. Hughes goes above and beyond. She always takes her time and not only does she diagnose any issues I may have extremely well and takes care of it, she also takes time to talk to me about myself, about my goals, about school. I highly recommend her and I wish that she was a family doctor so I could continue going to her.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2015

This is the best physician I have ever encountered. Knowledgable, approachable, genuine, and simply a wonderful person. All future MDs could learn from her bedside manner. We feel so fortunate to have her. Nancy and Ute also great.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2014

Absolutely Amazing! Dr. Hughes has been extremely instrumental in the health of our 3 year old daughter from birth until now. She does not push any medication or vaccines and always gives great natural options to consider.

flag | Submitted September 22, 2014

She is a tremendous asset to the community and a caring and attentive doctor. Her staff are excellent and her availability, although limited in office hours sometimes is tempered by her willingness to go that extra mile.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2014

If you need a paediatrician, Dr FH is the best here in Burlington. Attentive, caring, gives all the time she can (20-25 minutes during every visit), even answers our most ridiculous questions about parenting (we are new parents) Our son never cries when he sees her and always lets her do the checkup compared to any other doc in a walkin clinic where he feels scared and unwelcome. My only issue: they are not open as much during the week as I would want (3-4 times a week and often closed on holidays). Every time my son gets sick and we know Dr. Hughes is open, its a sign of relief because we know she will take care of him. We have nothing but amazing things to say for her. If she takes your child as her patient, feel lucky.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2014

My last experience was less than satisfactory. My 6 year old son had a very bad experience with the Allergist Dr. Hughes has referred us to. The Nurse for the Allergist came in to give my son his first allergy shot and was in a rush. She had very little bedside manners and got visibly irritated when my son got scared. She asked me to hold him down. When I had asked for another referral, I was told that Dr. Hughes could not do this. Adding that no one has ever complained about this particular Allergist. I was eventually asked to book an appointment to get another referral. It is unimaginable that they would, essentially, lay blame on a 6 year old. My son is now seeing my Allergist and has had absolutely no issues with getting a needle from her Nurse. I found Dr. Hughes' office quite unprofessional and I am surprised at such indifference from a Pediatrician. I am in the medical field. This matter was handled with little respect for my son.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2013