Ratings for Dr. Josef Gurian

I was (mis)diagnosed by my primary care provider with an ear infection ("fluid in the ear") and prescribed antibiotics. That diagnose kind of made sense given that I just recovered from the flu the week before. But when my hearing did not recover after being on antibiotics for 3 days, my husband pleaded with me to see an ENT specialist and I am so glad that he did!!! I came to this office because it was the first place that had availability. From the beginning, the office staff was very helpful, friendly and welcoming. Dr. Gurian, who I found to be extremely kind, informative, patient and empathetic, didn't think I had an ear infection and was concerned enough about my particular case that he immediately squeezed me in to see his on-site audiologist for a hearing test. After my test results came back (right then and there), it confirmed his suspicion that I didn't have an ear infection at all but rather was suffering from sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Basically, I needed steroids (not antibiotics) to reduce inflammation I had in my inner ear caused by the flu virus. The inflammation was so bad that it was basically strangling and killing the nerves in my ear causing hearing loss. Dr. Gurian explained all of this to me and described his recommended course of action. He would start with non-invasive steroid meds and if that didn't work, then steroid injections and ultimately a possible MRI as the last resort. He could tell that I was starting to freak out and he was nothing but kind, informative and calming. It was also so great that his office had an audiologist on-site and the necessary equipment to properly diagnose my issue. I am so incredibly thankful to Dr. Gurian, his nurses, audiologist and the rest of his team. They were all so TERRIFIC and had it not been for Dr. Gurian, I probably would have sustained permanent hearing loss in my ear. Thank you so much Dr. Gurian!!!

flag | Submitted March 17, 2017

He's the best ENT I know!! He's taken care of my family for the last 16 years!

flag | Submitted December 18, 2014

I visited Dr. Gurian after receiving a diagnosis and recommended treatment from another Otolaryngologist. I did not share the diagnosis prior to my arrival. Dr. Gurian was extremely knowledgable and efficient in examining me and reviewing my tests. He was open with me about options and on-point in his assessment of my parotid tumor. Because of the confidence I felt in Dr. Gurian, I selected him over 3 other ENTs to perform my parotidectomy. His office was efficient in scheduling me and everything progressed as expected. Dr. Gurian was great at the hospital pre-op and my surgery was a success in every way. I would recommend him to my family and anyone else. I have read some comments about his demeanor on here and I can't disagree more. If you are looking for a friend to be your doctor, best of luck. If you want an honest, skillful and efficient doctor to diagnose and treat your Otolaryngological issue, call Dr. Gurian.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2013

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Gurian. He's down to earth, knowledgeable about his field, forthright and honest. He diagnosed me in the first visit, performed sinus surgery within a month, followed up with all appropriate lab work and testing. In the end, turned out to be cancerous but I don't think I could ever feel that I was in better hands...and I can breathe again!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2008

This man is fabulous! At our initial meeting he was very frank with me and let me know I would need surgery. Some mey not appreciate a doctor being that up front but after a year of run arounds with other doctors I was glad he was ready to step in and actually help with the problem. He performed sinus surgery and has been extremely knowledgeable in all follow-up visits since. And he's got a great sense of humor too!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2008

He is a brilliant surgeon. Answered all my questions to my satisfaction. Gave sufficient explanations to my disease. I have undergone two surgeries of which one was on the neck. The scar is almost hidden and other doctors have also appreciated his work. Recovery was also very fast. i will go again to him and will recommend him to others as well.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2007

Dr. Josef Gurian's Credentials

• UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS MEDICAL SCHOOL (Grad. 1989)