One person has died and at least 8 have been hospitalized.
If it isn’t the romaine or the turkey, it’s the burgers, it now seems.
Earlier this November, a recall of ground beef was announced by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The beef was found to contain Salmonella Dublin, a potent form of bacteria that comes from cattle and causes food poisoning in humans via infections in the bloodstream.
To date, at least 8 people have been hospitalized in connection with this outbreak. One patient actually died in California.
So, should we all be afraid? Yes and no.
This form of Salmonella is known to be stronger than other types and due to its potency. Plainly put, it tends to hit seniors more strongly, the CDC states.
It’s unknown who died from the infection in connection with this recent recall, but while tragic, it could be the individual was immunocompromised and more susceptible to severe complications.
The beef has yet to be traced to a single supplier, distributor, store or brand. That being said, it is known that at least one infection came from beef processed by Central Valley Meat Co., Inc., authorities say.
Cases of illness have been reported in seven states, including Washington, California, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma and Texas.
What symptoms are associated with Salmonella? Diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps all count. The good news is that for most people, the infection lasts from about 4 to 7 days, and recovery happens at home, without being hospitalized.
According to the CDC website, this investigation is ongoing and the public will continue to be updated as new discoveries are made. Stay tuned to their website.