Rate Dr. Michael Fehlings

Dr. Michael Fehlings's Ratings

Fehlings is a coward. And don’t get me started on his classism—a blatant phenomenon that my wife also witnessed. I have Multiple Myeloma and hence, nine compression fractures, due to spinal deterioration. Because of nine kyphoplasties I had performed by {heroic, fabulous} Roger Smith of the Toronto Western, I am able to stand—but not upright. Sadly, the kyphoplasties have left masses of glue on the vertebrae, and thus, on my now-messy MRIs. In addition, I have lost four inches of height and have tremendous curvature of the upper spine. I am in excruciating pain and must surely require surgery to boost my height (perhaps with a U rod or a Harrington rod) enough that one critical locus of stenosis (mid Torso) may be remedied. I waited eight months to see Fehlings. Finally, I registered a complaint with UHN Patient Relations. Three days later, his secretary called—but denied that her call had anything to do with my call to Patient Relations. His intern was very kind, and showed my wife and I (on my MRI) three reasons for my pain. But sadly, when Fehlings came in, he said, “There’s nothing I can do.” Then, he went on to contradict his intern and tell me there was no neurophysiological reason for my pain—I’ll say it again: he refuted my pain. Moral of the story? Sadly, in a Universal Healthcare system, doctors may pick and choose the cases they want to do. This is why doctors like Fehlings (or Finkelstein of Sunnybrook, who wouldn’t even see me once) have perfect surgery records. Your record would be perfect too, if you had the option to decline unappealing cases (ie. gluey MRIs)--to just take a pass on the tough ones. I thank OHIP and Dr. Reece of Princess Margaret for saving my life and at least postponing the inevitable consequences of my incurable cancer. But remember this: American neurosurgeons do not have the luxury to pass on the tough ones—they need to compete and get clients, in order to put food on the table. Shame on all of us. Shame on the whole system.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2560140].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 1, 2014

A brilliant surgeon. Skilled, thorough and clear communicator. Supported by an equally dedicated team of health professionals. Bonus for being a most respectful and likable physician.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2549370].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2014

A angel from heaven
He saved my life
No one can tell I had surgery no scars

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2525817].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 5, 2014

I literally just had surgery yesterday to have a massive herniated disc removed. When I went to my hometown hospital in extreme pain it was passed off as just "another flare up " when Dr. Fehlings saw my CT scan that was sent to him he agreed I needed surgery immediately. I was then transferred down to Toronto and had surgery the next morning. Not only was the dr and his entire team knowledgable they were so helpful and explained everything so I could understand and calmed my fears. Someone on here said the dr will only help you if you look like you have money, I am here to disagree. I am 32 years old and clearly don't look like I have money and was 18 days postpartum having had my son via c section I was unprepared to be in the hospital and looked a mess, (hairy legs and all) and I was treated with nothing but care and respect from Dr. fehlings and his entire team.. I find myself so lucky to have had this procedure done so quickly as this would never have healed itself and would have left me in massive pain or crippled. I feel blessed at this new start to my life with my new son!!! Thank
You so much DrFehlings and team!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2500008].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 15, 2014

Dr. Fehlings is a brilliant neurosurgeon. Highly intelligent, experienced, and trained. He has performed several spina fusion surgeries on my mother first starting in the lower lumber region and over time moving up to the T2 level. He has saved my mother time and time again from permanent neurological damage. He has relieved her pain and given her quality of life. Because of him, my mother can walk. My mother loves him!!! He is kind and gentle with her. Always holds her hands. Always reassures her that he will do everything he can for her. And he always does. While some of her surgeries have been beyond difficult, he has always managed to perform his magic. This man is a gift from GD. I'm grateful he is always willing and able to help my mother.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1612692].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2013

Excellent, kind and great team ! If only all doctors with teams worked so efficiently . Kudos to the nurse Lily. Thank you:)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1612691].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 21, 2013

I met with Dr Fehlings in April 2010 had he advised me I needed to have c4-5, c5-6,c6-7 anterior cervical discetomy. I would have been in a wheel chair within 6 months if I didn't have it. I had my surgery within 3 months of meeting him I had instant feeling in my toes and less pain right after my surgery. I have no symtems since. I can live a very productive life now! There were issues of not having a bed for me the day of my surgery and he fought and made sure I was able to have my surgery that day. As busy as he and his staff are he made sure I had all my questions answered. I can never thank him and his staff enough for giving me my quality of life back.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1612690].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 19, 2013

Although he has a big entourage of people who "assist" him, his clinic doesn't move very fast unless of course you look like you have money! waited years for surgery, and when I finally got it, i'm worse off than I was before surgery.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1612689].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 31, 2012

Dr Fehlings was excellent. Had a couple of problems following my first surgery so he followed me like a shadow when I had the second one done. He was supportive and explained everything in detail.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1612688].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2012

EXCELLENT!!!! My mother got her life back........he was unable to hardly walk, and when she did, it was very painful, and to eleviate some of the pain, she needed to bend over (90 degrees) Dr. Fehlings and his group were fantastic!! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1612687].votes_count ]]