You may also like

Rate Dr. Grace Y. Liu

Dr. Grace Y. Liu's Ratings

I recently had surgery with Dr. Grace Liu and I'm currently recovering over the past few days. I am doing really well and I have not had any complications or pain to this point. Everything good said about this doctor has been my experience as well. Dr. Liu extended the operation time to 5 hours from the scheduled 3-3.5 hours after she discovered more issues than what the ultrasound had revealed, in order to deal with the endometriosis as much as possible. Dr. Liu is excellent at dealing with different personalities even with a bit more introverted and less expressive personalities like my own. She's warm, caring, interested, respectful and taking the time to explain things. On top of this, Dr. Liu seems to promote a very high level of patient self-determination, giving me the choice to take out fallopian tubes just because of the cancer risk they might pose to a middle age woman with heavy endometriosis and two 8-10 cm long endometrinomas, and then respectfully not pushing her point when I decided, perhaps foolishly, not to take her advice. As previously also mentioned in several posts, her bedside manners are impeccable, with a strong ability to read and respond to the patient's emotions on the operating table, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze as I was taking a calming in-breath in that large, impersonal operating room with a bunch of unknown people doing prep work. It was of pure sheer dumb luck that I found this excellent doctor who is listed as one of the top endometriosis surgeons in Toronto on various web and Facebook sites...that I discovered afterwards. :) In terms of her staff, I am aware that I get what I put out and perhaps Sandra just is more comfortable with extroverted people, and responds accordingly, like most people do. She seems like a nice lady though. I have to give a shout out to the excellent nurses both pre-and post-op at Sunnybrook! Thank you all. :)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2769182].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 7, 2015

On December 11, 2014, my family doctor faxed a referral to Doctor Grace Liu’s office and I have been waiting almost 3 months to hear back about my appointment date despite the fact that I called numerous times in December, January and February.
On February 26th, I left a voice message saying that it is unacceptable to have such a long wait just to get an appointment date. My comment was that if Dr. Liu is so busy that she cannot take on new patients, they should at least inform me about it, so I can go somewhere else and take care of my health appropriately.
Following my voice message, I finally got a call back from Dr. Liu’s office and I was told that I did not spell my name clearly in the voice messages and that’s why they couldn’t call me back… I find this questionable. Even if that was true, in my past experience with other specialists, I had their office call me with the appointment date. Perhaps Sunnybrook has a different process for this, I’m not sure. In any case, I’ve been told that apparently the appointment has been booked since January 5 (for July 6th), and this was sent via fax to my family doctor who was supposed to inform me (he never did). Things got pretty heated during the conversation given all the frustration built up during my long wait and the lack of communication.
Once I was told about the July 6th appt, I tried to smooth things up as I just wanted to go ahead with the appointment and take care of my health. I even apologized for my frustration and the fact that I told them I considered complaining to the Board of Directors for the way my referral has been handled. However, Dr’s Liu staff said that she will report to Dr Liu all about our conversation, and as a result my family doctor got a call that Dr Liu does not wish to consult me and my July appt. has been cancelled.
I was extremely shocked that this could happen at such well-known, reputable hospital in Toronto, where health and wellbeing of community members should be placed first (and especially above office staff egos). In my opinion, Dr. Liu’s office approach was spiteful and vindictive and therefor unethical and unprofessional (I just wasted almost 3 months, not addressing my health issues).

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2760970].votes_count ]]

Submitted March 29, 2015

I first met Dr. Liu in 2008, it was my second pregnancy (the first I did have have Dr Liu, and had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured my right tube), I was high risk. From the moment I met her, she made me feel like she really did care about me, and my baby. I remember one of the first things she said to me was I'm going to try to make the next 9 months as comfortable as I can for you, and she did! She is warm, caring and really takes the time to answer your questions, and believe me I had many. My pregnancy was going normal until about 6 months when my blood pressure started to rise slightly, she wanted to take me off work, but I didn't feel it was necessary, so I went from working 5 days/wk, to 3 days/wk, and then at 7 months I was at 1 day/wk. I'll never forget the day I went to see her I was 33 weeks, she took my blood pressure and said that's it, I'm admitting you...I thought she was kidding, but I was admitted. That week she came to visit me with her daughter, the other ladies in my ward asked me if that was my friend, I said no she's my doctor...who has ever heard of a doctor visiting a patient on her day off? Thanks to Grace, and her instincts, she was determined to keep me in the hospital, until I was ready to be induced at 36-37 weeks, she saved my life. A week after I was admitted my blood pressure spiked, I had a seizure (it happens 3x a year at most) and had to have an emergency C-section. Her instincts were right! God blessed me with a beautiful baby boy on Dec 1. Grace is one of the best doctors, I was privileged enough to have met her, she was my angel. I decided to write this review/comment because I read below how people are upset about her taking time off during the holidays/March Break/ Summer etc. so what, why are you faulting her for wanting to be with her own children during those times, it shows me that not only is she an amazing doctor, but also a dedicated Mom! As for the comments about trying to get through etc. I don't blame her or Sandra, I blame our government for all the cutbacks that they have made at the taxpayers cost! We are losing valuable doctors/nurses etc. because they want to find a better paying job elsewhere! Thank you so much Grace, you are not only my doctor, but have become like family to me! And don't worry, one day I will write a book about my experiences, it will be long, and you will get the first copy LOL...

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2685674].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2015

Very warm, caring and knowledgeable. Great bedside manners. Made my wife and I very comfortable. Any patient of Dr Lui's should feel lucky to have her.

Sanjay S.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2643140].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2014

Dr Liu is amasing. She provided me with optons thst were not available to me with my local o/b. Made me feel like I was in the vety best of hsnds day of surgery. Now pregnant at 38. Day I thought would never come until she did her magic on me. Sandra ia very nice ans yes busy. Very difficult to have my calls answered or returned. She could maybe use more admin help in the office

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2588878].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 22, 2014

I am so happy I found Dr. Liu. After struggling for years with symptoms related to my fibroids, I finally have someone I trust to remove them while leaving the rest of me intact. I cannot overstate how kind and considerate she has been during all three of my visits. She is incredibly helpful, generous with her time, friendly and knowledgable. I really believe she could practice anywhere, and that we are extremely lucky to have her here in Toronto. Sandra is also lovely. I have no idea what people are talking about when they express concerns about her friendliness or helpfulness. She has been fabulous!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2543654].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 19, 2014

I am prospecting for a doctor who will perform a myomectomy. I do not want a hysterectomy and this is the only option being given to me by the doctors I visited. I plan to visit Dr.Liu for a consultation, because I have been advised that she is the most considerate and best doctor who will reasonably consider myomectomy as an a option.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2516603].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 28, 2014

I was referred to see Dr. Liu by my High Risk OB. She fit me in to see her within a week and the following day I had surgery with her (she fit me into the OR schedule as an unscheduled patient). She took time to understand my history and was very companionate and sincere about the situation. In the OR she was very comforting and professional. The following day she visited me in my hospital room to make sure I was comfortable and reassured me that the surgery went well. I’ve been to several other OB’s in the GTA and Dr. Liu is at the top of my list.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1072915].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 22, 2013

I wish I would have not dismissed Dr. Liu's negative review on this site. Yes, she can be friendly and nice, especially, when it comes to signing a consent form, but she is also one of the most incompetent and irresponsible gynaecologists I have ever met. She did not take into consideration my medical history, nor did she monitor the condition for which I was referred to her before recommending a surgical treatment. I ended up having a major surgery, which turned out to be unnecessary. The worst part is that she botched the surgery, and now I have complications that may not be fixed even with another surgery. I had zero pain before the surgery, and now I have to live with it for the rest of my life!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1072917].votes_count ]]

Submitted Nov. 11, 2013

Dr Lui has earned the up most respect in my books, her knowledge, skill, abilities and compassion far surpass any other physician that I've ever encountered regardless of specialty . She has treated my Wife for over 8 difficult years and because of her we are now starting a family for the first time. Any patient of Dr Lui's should feel very blessed as they are receiving the best care and advice available!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1072914].votes_count ]]