Hilo Medical Center

Hospital

Rate Hilo Medical Center

Ratings for Hilo Medical Center

Value

I have been in health care for 30 years, 15 years in a hospital. I am not sure how this place keeps its JCR accreditation. I spent 10 days HMC with a brain infection after begging for a spinal tap 3 times in the ER and being refused. I was treated for a psychiatric condition unable to ask for what I needed , when their only psychiatrist came days later he took one look at me and said "you need a neurologist" . They did take off my ankle bracelet and security guard, but they did not have a neurologist on staff nor could they scan my brain due to the fact that their prehistoric MRI machine was broken for over a week. When I complained for not being fed for over 3 days due to the fact that I was supposed to know to order my own food, the nice nursing staff became cold and shaming. One nurse even called me a haole ( a local term used to identify a white person in a derogatory way) with a mainland attitude. When my family took me to a neurologist I was immediately airlifted to a medical center for critical care treatment. Lastly, I have to include that I had a open wound due to the condition and the cleaning staff dumped mop water from the hall cleaning in my shared bathroom with another patient who was waiting amputation for a open wound. Bottom line is that this place should be closed down or at-least prohibited from admitting any patient with a condition when they do not have the proper "board certified specialist" to treat a patient, outside the scope of training of a hospital doctor. Truly pathetic . I am blessed to have survived this horrific place. My mainland family and attitude saved my life. Locals in east Hawaii deserve what the tax dollars require of a publicly funded hospital. Again nothing short of pathetic.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2018

Value

Went in for an asthma attack they treated me for a panic attack, never giving me a breathing treatment like I needed. Treated me like I was crazy because I was scared that I couldn't breathe!

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017

Doctors at Hilo Medical Center

Dr. Mouhamed Kannass

Dr. Mouhamed Kannass

Latest Rating

Dr. Kannass is a great doctor! Very thorough and takes the time to talk to you and explain things to you! Very knowledgeable & truly compassionate :) He said my ... Read more

Dr. Peter A. Matsuura

Dr. Peter A. Matsuura

Latest Rating

Great operation, great doc. Everything was satisfying

Dr. Elizabeth Preston

Dr. Elizabeth Preston

Latest Rating

Very caring and personable, so helpful and considerate...really miss her!!

Dr. John P. Wright

Dr. John P. Wright

Latest Rating

One of the best anesthesiologist out there. I would recommend his services anytime.

Dr. Curtis Lee

Dr. Curtis Lee

Latest Rating

He takes time to explain. Keeps you involved in your treatment. I am very happy with this doctor. Works with my insurance to select drugs that have a low copay.

Dr. Brett A. Wyrick

Dr. Brett A. Wyrick

Latest Rating

ruined my life with a simple hernia operation, his attention was on his miitary experience

Dr. Harvey T. Nakamura

Dr. Harvey T. Nakamura

Latest Rating

Very poor bedside manner. Ask for a different radiologist.

Dr. Chalmers Hamasaki

Dr. Chalmers Hamasaki

Latest Rating

Dr. Hamasaki is very cheerful and he is always understanding when you talk to him.

Dr. Sydney Y. Tatsuno

Dr. Sydney Y. Tatsuno

Latest Rating

good

Dr. Jerry L. Gray

Dr. Jerry L. Gray