Shouldice Hospital

Hospital

Rate Shouldice Hospital

Ratings for Shouldice Hospital

Value

I had an inguinal hernia repair done at Shouldice and it changed my life , unfortunately for the worse. To start with their facility is old and antiquated. It’s routinely cleaned but it’s so old and hasn’t been updated in decades that no amount of cleaning is going to change how outdated and musty the place is. Their equipment and beds again , very old and uncomfortable... mine had stains on it and when I politely asked for it to be cleaned I was treated with such disrespect and later overhead the nurses mocking me over “a little stain”. But the doctors !! Wow !! This is where it gets worse. My intake Dr didn’t even bother to look at or read the ultrasound images and reports that I had with me and was extremely arrogant and dismissive when I asked questions, and that was after having waited hours to see him. But the surgery itself is where things went very badly. So bad that I can barely speak or type about it as I’m still suffering from PTSD. All I can say is that Shouldice is operated no differently than a factory. People are not human to them, they are just objects, there simply for profit, despite the cost (on these humans) of their costS ssaving practices , that IMO should be illegal here in Canada. NO OTHER PUBLIC hospital in Canada could get away with what Shouldice gets away with. Do yourself (and your family) a favour , look elsewhere , and get on a waiting list with a reputable surgeon

flag | Submitted December 2, 2019

Value

The treatment I received at the clinic was second to none. The accommodations are a bit tired but clean and the food was excellent.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2019

Value

This is my second hernia repair in 10 yrs first the left and now the right. This place only gets better and I wouldn't recommend any other place for a hernia repair. The staff is unbelievably wonderful from the surgeons to the nurses to the kitchen and cleaning staff. Thank u for a great visit and personally thanks to Dr Spencer who is very caring

flag | Submitted September 25, 2019

Value

My way or Highway should be the motto of this place, one Type of anesthesia, one type of procedure, and place is money driven. I loved the moment when the secretary told me ‘We expect you to stay 3-4 nights after your surgery and one night before the surgery for ‘orientation’ at $265 a night!’ Everywhere in the world, hernia repair is a procedure where they get you in and out the same day! They brag about their ‘unique’ hernia repair technique...if it was that good the rest of the world would accept it as the standard.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2019

Value

just got back from a double inguinal surgery at the Shouldice Hosp and have nothing but the very best to say about everyone at this hospital. The person who say they were treated rudely is a real mystery to me nobody I met was ever even close to being rude every effort was made to help with pain and comfort. The surgeries were done in a very professional manor and I cannot find any reason to complain from the food to the treatment all was excellent. I would recommend this hospital to everyone who needs this type of surgery.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2019

Value

Just back from R. Inguinal repair at this fine hospital. I have nothing but praise for this institution and staff. Dr. Hall performed my surgery. He is what a physician should be - kind, caring, excellent bedside manner, professional, treats you like a person and CARES. He saw me at least once and sometimes twice a day. He even apologized to me for being late one day. WOW. The staff are all excellent. The hospital is a very friendly, relaxing, healing environment. The staff constantly encourage you to move and keep going, they are interested in your well being. I highly recommend Shouldice hospital for hernia surgery. Would not hesitate to come here for surgery.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2019

Value

Just had surgery there after the surgery and during the surgery was and still in alot of pain doctors dont care once the surgery is done nurses are rude they sent me home and still in alot of pain whit no care from anyone there

flag | Submitted September 12, 2019

Value

Nov 2018 very large Right Inguinal Hernia surgery by Dr. Hall and Simmons this happening less than a month after my father passed away. Thank you to both of those amazing doctors I had forgotten what it was like to not have pain and walk without worrying. I like to call it the "Shouldice Experience" when I talk to my friends about it. The quality of care, hotel like feeling, cleanliness and meals were second to none. It was very therapeutic mentally as well as everyone in our area got to know each other at meals and in lounge and we were all going through similar experiences - almost like "camp" for 50+ year olds!! The pain was very manageable and I was walking the evening after surgery. Pain was there but by the third day it was noticeably less. Funnily I was sad to leave that place I truly had a great experience. IT was well worth the $1200-1400 CAD dollars (if your OHIP). I now have more confidence that I will not require this surgery again whereas with the mesh stories you hear they sometimes have to be repeated. God bless all the staff at Shouldice!!!

flag | Submitted August 13, 2019

Value

I had surgery on June 19. On June 22nd I was released and made an uneventful 4 hour drive back to Ottawa. I will probably take a few days off work because I think I should, but in reality I do not feel I have too. I stopped all pain medication two days after surgery and aside from the odd tinge of discomfort, feel great. I do not have sufficient accolades for all of the staff, from nurses to doctors to food staff and psw’s. I am 67 years old and although never personally admitted to a hospital, have visited many. The Shouldice approach to healthcare is leagues above anything I have witnessed. The non clinical environment, the food, the camaraderie of other patients and the beautiful zen like grounds all contribute to a return to good health. I am grateful to have found this level of care in a time of ever decreasing level of service found in most health care institutions.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2019

Value

I had my hernia surgery in May 2019. The overall care was excellent. I was very satisfied both by the surgeons and the nursing staff, all of whom performed at a high level. I particularly wish to recognize Dr. Spencer-Netto for his wonderful, caring manner. I was encouraged to exercise and walk in the gardens in order to speed up my recovery. I had the impression that the staff at the hospital were interested in my care. I would recommend Shouldice Hospital for hernia repair.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2019

Doctors at Shouldice Hospital

Dr. Darren Larson

Dr. Darren Larson

Dr. Rasheed Affifi

Dr. Rasheed Affifi

Latest Rating

He is Deaseased as of 2015 according to the RCPSC ... Graduated from Alexandria university in 1955.

Dr. Maghsood Seddigh

Dr. Maghsood Seddigh

1 review

Latest Rating

Very caring and intelligent. Felt like I was actually being listened to. He seemed very knowledgable, and wanted to genuinely help, unlike other doctors who just cha... Read more