Shouldice Hospital

Hospital

Rate Shouldice Hospital

Ratings for Shouldice Hospital

Value

Is it possible to find out from an Albertan who has had the operation at Shouldice, how much they were out of pocket in the end (eg, How much did Alberta Health Care cover?). thanks!

flag | Submitted November 20, 2017

Value

Left side inguinal hernia surgery. Lots of research went into travelling here from Alberta to hav it done. The staff are all amazing, the food is quite good and the surgeons are technically pretty much perfect. Practice makes perfect and all they do is hernia repair, WITHOUT a mesh which was an extremely important factor for me. Some of the information I looked at reported approximately 30% complication rate when a mesh is used. Worth every penny and I am very grateful

flag | Submitted November 2, 2017

Value

They fixed me up with double inguinal hernia surgeries. Top notch facility, sad that it has been sold to a Chinese company.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2017

Value

Dr Slater did an excellent job on my surgery, it healed with very little scar, was only painful for a couple days and the staff/ hospital was as good as possible under the circumstances.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

Value

Great Hospital and Staff Dr. Slater always checked up on me after surgery and the staff was pleasant.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

Value

I recently received hernia repair there . Big thanks to Dr. DEGANI outstanding job , and Dr. SIMMONS for the after care and information that eased my mind before leaving the hospital. I feel blessed to have found all of you. Remember your faces with a grateful heart . I wanted to mention also Dr. ONM Anesthesiologist sweet person to see . Keeping you all in my prayers.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2017

Value

I recently received hernia repair there; Dr. Simmons is an excellent surgeon with ultra rating for bedside manners; all nursing staff and dining staff were beyond my expectations

flag | Submitted September 2, 2017

Value

I had my right side hernia repaired at Shouldice. I experienced pain for a week after the surgery. It is because I have a low tolerance for pain and took Tylenol pills for about eight days only. The doctors and the surgeon I saw explained to me what was involved in the operation and told me aI had to lose ten pounds which would help the muscles in the healing process. I needed that anyways and continue with that guideline. They were patient in answering all my questions and concerns. The services of the nurses, the dietician, the support staff, the hostesses at he dining room were excellent and attentional. The rooms are not a five star hotel, but they were clean and had everything you need. I am very happy that I had my surgery performed at Shouldice Hospital. I would like mention that I had my a hernia repair on my left side done there also twenty years ago and never experienced any pain and never had a problem in that area since. And I had also experienced some pain for about a week only. Thank you to everyone at Shouldice, the surgeons, nurses, dietician and support staff. I highly recommend this hospital for a hernia repair.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2017

Value

Just returned home from having rt side inguinal surgery at Shouldice 7 days ago. Doing great so far. Day 4 (discharge day) was the worst with an intermittant zapping nerve pain from the repair site to inside leg which fortunately has subsided, and now on day 6 I'm off all pain meds!!! My advice.........don't think about it.....Shouldice is the best option in the world for your repair. (Btw...85% of the patient repairs while i was there were inguinal and numerous patients were from China/USA/etc). I fully endorse this facility without question. Nothing is perfect for everyone, but when it comes down to the reason you're going there, you won't find a better repair facility anywhere. Follow their rules/instructions and you'll be back to yourselves in no time.....Good luck!

flag | Submitted August 29, 2017

Value

We traveled to Shouldice Hospital last week from the States to have my dad’s inguinal hernia repaired. Now, he’s healing up nicely back home. I’d like to give my special thanks to Dr. Alexander, who operated on my dad and repaired his large inguinal hernia. He is not only an exceptionally skilled surgeon, but a compassionate doctor who put his patients at ease and looked after their care. Despite his busy operating and clinics schedule, he took the time to visit my dad and check on his wound around 5:30 p.m. post surgery and then again around 5:30 a.m. on the third day before he rushed into surgery. When I met with him before our departure, he took the opportunity to print out additional documents explaining potential post operative symptoms and in home care. He’s a doctor true to his profession and I wish him many more years of joy of healing. The hospital staff we met were professional and courteous. Cindy, the hospital manager, guided us through the entire admission process and was very accommodating to our needs and concerns. The hospital is efficiently managed and there are many rules in place to ensure a safe and fast patient recovery. Some patients may find the rules restrictive but they do align very well with our priority so we are more than happy to oblige. We did as much research as possible before we decide to have my dad’s surgery done at Shouldice. Factors we considered include: 1. Shouldice used natural tissue repair technique with surgical steel wire instead of the common mesh repair pervasive in the States. Since my dad didn’t have any pain with his hernia despite its huge size, he was scared of long term impact of mesh in his body and associated mesh pain and suffering described by some of the unfortunate patients of mesh repair. With Shouldice repair procedure, the worst that can happen is a recurring hernia (the recurring statistics is actually very low), which is infinitely better than chronicle pain in our opinion. 2. Shouldice does a LOT of hernia repair. The saying goes: Practice makes perfect. We feel assured we are in good hands when it comes to both surgical technique and expertise. 3. Shouldice keeps patients for two more days post surgery. Some patients or even doctors had complaints about this on line. We see it as an advantage since we travel a long way from the States. The last thing we want is complications post surgery(within 48 hours) while we are making our way back to the States. I personally know a hernia patient who landed in the ER the day after surgery to have a catheter put in because he could not urinate. Similar complications, such as internal bleeding, could be avoided when patients are kept in hospital for observation. 4. Since it’s an open surgery, Shouldice uses local anesthesia with IV sedation instead of general anesthesia required by laparoscopic repair. My dad is an elderly patient (72) with possible heart problems. So we are happy we can avoid any potential risk and complications due to general anesthesia. 5. The possible downside of a Shouldice repair is bigger incision wound, which probably has a more painful recovery post surgery than the laparoscopic alternative. But, with all things considered, we decided it was better to have short term pain now than potential long term pain later. For his own experience, he was pretty uncomfortable the night of the surgery and could not rest well. Since then, he has recovered steadily with more exercises every day. The long trip home was not as bad as we feared. It’s gratifying to know we have made the right decision to come to Shouldice to get my dad’s hernia finally taken care of and the entire trip is well worth our time, energy, and money (his Medicare does not cover this). We recommend Shouldice highly to other fellow hernia sufferers who has similar concerns as we do.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2017

Doctors at Shouldice Hospital

Dr. Darren Larson

Dr. Darren Larson

Dr. Rasheed Affifi

Dr. Rasheed Affifi

Latest Rating

Dr. Affifi removed my tumour (bowel cancer) back in 1984. I have seen him many times since although not recently since he has changed hospitals. He was always very ... Read more

Dr. Maghsood Seddigh