Shouldice Hospital

Hospital

Rate Shouldice Hospital

Ratings for Shouldice Hospital

Value

I am a sixty-eight year old male from Victoria, BC. Your hernia options here are quite simple....mesh. I studied and decided that was not for me. I had double inguinal hernia surgery on April 27, 2018 and was released on April 29, 2018. I was given a heads up that because of the advanced stage and large size of the left side hernia it might require a mesh. To my delight Dr. Degani was able to perform the mesh free treatment. I too highly recommend the Shouldice Hospital. I learned Shouldice had been sold and leased back. Seems to be where our country is headed. Yes, it is very sad.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2018

Value

I just had my hernia repaired the Shouldice hospital and cannot be possibly more satisfied. They took me in within 4 weeks after contacting them. The staff on the floor were the consummate professionals and every aspect of my stay there went like clockwork. I cannot possibly express enough thanks to the staff on my floor. One, Monir, was not only efficient but her smiles brightened our day. The food was excellent and the atmosphere there was very pleasant. I could not comprehend some of the negative comments expressed by some people particularly those who found the registration process lengthy. I say put up with it and end up with the best hernia surgery in the world; get your priorities right and stop being petty. Thank you doctors and staff at the Shouldice. Basil

flag | Submitted March 18, 2018

Value

My first hernia was in 2012 and second this pasgt week. Both surgeries went very well. I am a chiropractor from Iowa and went back to work the following Monday with slight discom fort. Starting working out after 1 week. Food was terrific and nurses were caring and responsive. I strongly recommend a massage after sugery. She was good! The surgeons were fantastic and visited before and after surgery. Overall, there is no other place to get hernias repaired.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2018

Value

Did anyone get a diastasis recti repair with their umbilical hernia reapai?

flag | Submitted February 1, 2018

Value

Can not rate the hospital because I did not get past the intake process. Their intake process is a disaster. I made two trips to Toronto from Gravenhurst (2 1/2 hour each way) to attend their clinic. The first time I had completed their intake questionnaire and reviewed it with their GP. She examined my hernia. I then saw a surgeon who said he could not detect a hernia. He said they would not do surgery for one year due to fact that I had recently had bypass surgery and was taking blood thinners. When I challenged him, he got very testy and told me I could consult another surgeon for a second opinion. He said my body would try and heal itself and I would feel better in a couple of weeks. I did consult my cardiologist and he told me that I could stop taking blood thinners for the operation. With this information and the fact that I was encountering more discomfort instead of less, I phoned Shouldice to be told my file was closed by the consulting surgeon noting I "did not have a hernia". When I told the person on the phone I was on my way back to the clinic he said I would have to see their internist. He set up an appointment and told me to go back home. When I showed up for my appointment I was informed that the internist had cancelled her appointments. I was told I had received a call. I checked that the phone numbers they had were correct. I checked voicemail and there were no messages. Since my wife was home recovering from knee surgery there was someone in the house all the time. There was no phone call. I did get a consultation with a surgeon that day informing me that I did have a hernia, that the GP did note the same in her notes. I was sent home assured that I would be contacted within a few days after he consulted with the internist and anesthesiologist to set a date for my repair. When I next saw my doctor I was told Shouldice had requested my medical records as I had decided to have my hernia repaired by them. I had already consulted another surgeon for the " second opinion" upon referral from my doctor. I was extremely impressed with this surgeon and since I had not heard back from Shouldice, I had decided to have my hernia fixed by him. I did subsequently phone Shouldice only to be informed that I was still being assessed and no date had been set. I was also told that surgery would not likely be done, if at all, until January, 2018 due to Christmas break. I have had my repair done laparoscopically by a local surgeon (December 2017). It was done in day surgery. I am home recovering rather than being in Shouldice for 4 days.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2017

Value

Is it possible to find out from an Albertan who has had the operation at Shouldice, how much they were out of pocket in the end (eg, How much did Alberta Health Care cover?). thanks!

flag | Submitted November 20, 2017

Value

Left side inguinal hernia surgery. Lots of research went into travelling here from Alberta to hav it done. The staff are all amazing, the food is quite good and the surgeons are technically pretty much perfect. Practice makes perfect and all they do is hernia repair, WITHOUT a mesh which was an extremely important factor for me. Some of the information I looked at reported approximately 30% complication rate when a mesh is used. Worth every penny and I am very grateful

flag | Submitted November 2, 2017

Value

They fixed me up with double inguinal hernia surgeries. Top notch facility, sad that it has been sold to a Chinese company.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2017

Value

Dr Slater did an excellent job on my surgery, it healed with very little scar, was only painful for a couple days and the staff/ hospital was as good as possible under the circumstances.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

Value

Great Hospital and Staff Dr. Slater always checked up on me after surgery and the staff was pleasant.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

Doctors at Shouldice Hospital

Dr. Darren Larson

Dr. Darren Larson

Dr. Rasheed Affifi

Dr. Rasheed Affifi

Latest Rating

He is Deaseased as of 2015 according to the RCPSC ... Graduated from Alexandria university in 1955.

Dr. Maghsood Seddigh