Shouldice Hospital

Shouldice Hospital

Hospital

Rate Shouldice Hospital

Value

Success! Your rating has been saved.

Ratings for Shouldice Hospital

Value

On May 16th, I went to the Shouldice Hospital, as per a previous appointment. I was assigned
Dr. Hodgiss for my examination specialist. This was a very fortunate assignment, since he immediately
realized that I had a second hernia, on the left side, and he explained to me that new paperwork would be required. He proceeded to fill out the necessary forms, and submit them to the appropriate office
location, all while explaining the process to me. In addition, he made sure that any concerns were addressed.

Submitted May 25, 2017 | flag

Value

I had a hernia Surgery by a Chinese (I do not want to say the name) doctor in Scarborough general in 2008. He actually messed up the surgery and did not want to talk to me for five years because the pain will be there up to five years. Per my family doc....he messed up. I was scare to see anyone but he convince me to visit shouldice. I went there October 2015 and the waiting time in the clinic was too long. Every hour they say it will be soon even after 6 hrs of waiting. So, I left.....I thought they do not have time sense. About a month later I went back and told them the story of my last visit. This time they saw me in two hrs. The doctor who examine me was brutal. He pushed my hernia spot to hard and I was knocked off the ground. Now I am so scared that as of May 2017 i did not do the surgery yet. By the way the doctor saw me - he was Jewish (It was a Jewish Name- do not remember). So, welcome to real Canada Ohip service.

Submitted May 5, 2017 | flag

Value

I was extremely disappointed at the lack of professionalism, empanthy, and knowledge when Dr. Hodgkiss saw my father to see if he had a hernia at the well renowned hospital Shouldice. My father was in pain and we waited almost two hours to see the doctor! And when we finally saw Dr. Hodgkiss he brushed us off and said my father wasn't in that much pain when he pushed down on the hernia that stuck out of him and wasn't even sure what type it was! He told us we would have to wait two weeks for surgery because they don't do emergencies! It's a hospital and he's in pain!!!
Dr. Hodgkiss response was well if he was in that much pain then he would scream out when I pushed on his hernia and he can go to a local hospital! I was never so shocked and disgusted with the lack of compassion and disregard for my father. It's sad when a hospital that specializes in hernia's and is respected around the world would allow a doctor like him work there!

Submitted April 22, 2017 | flag

Value

I had my inguinal hernia fixed on March 2017. After a long hesitation to chose between mesh repair or Shouldice method, I decided to go to this clinic/hospital. I read a lot on the Internet and for sure it was not easy to make my mind. Now, I am looking backward and trying to put pieces from here and there after the surgery has been done.
First time my family doctor diagnosed that the bulge in the groin area is most likely the inguinal hernia and sent me for ultrasound test, I asked about the treatments and that the surgery is inevitable. From the available methods in Canada (as far as I found) , they are only two methods; patching with synthetic mesh or the Shouldice method. My family doctor didn't give any advantage to one over another. "You need to talk the surgeon for more details" was the reply from my family doctor to my question which method works better. I gathered information from the Internet, friends and whoever already had hernia repair to be able to make my mind. I found almost not 100% convincing and finally it was one important factor that pushed me to go to Shouldice hospital: I didn't want to have any external object in my body.
After all hesitations and now after the surgery which it is in the first week after surgery I have better oppinion on my own. To me, Shouldice hospital provides health care services and at the same time, it is a business to a degree. They are professional and expert at the area they work and at the same time they are not babysitters. At Shouldice hospital, they know what they are doing and I am happy with my decision. It is not that easy to recommend everyone to chose Shouldice method of hernia repair but I believe it is fair to say every surgery has its own possible complications and risks along the benefits and advantages. If you go to Shouldice hospital, do not cheat on yourselves that you are going for a vacation in a resort. You are going for a real surgery and if the facility has been set up to make you comfortable can not be a factor to select this one. The facility is not at the edge of technology. Everything is at its most minimalistic and efficient degree. You won't feel you are in a modern care giving hospital and you won't feel you are in an isolated "hospital" either. If you accept that you are not dealing with a life threatening disease ( if you were , for sure you would be in an ER by now) and if you accept there is no break through remedy for your hernia and also you accept that every time there is possibility of everything can go wrong but you don't like to have a synthetic mesh in your body, then this place and this method can be the best option to go after. If you go there, please do not over expect and at the same time do not underestimate them.
I have written the previous sentences not to say my expectation and the results were "so so". I tried just put myself into the shoes of patients who are not sure what they should do. At the same token, and with my deepest respect to all personnel in Shouldice hospital ( including surgeons, nurses, helpers, office staff, dining room hosts, security personnel, maintenance personnel... and I hope I didn't miss anyone) I would like to extend my appreciation for the care I was given. No need to call any special name here, every single one in the hospital is tremendously great chacter and I believe giving name will make this comment a "commercial " triggered note.
To be honest with you, I hope the system can be available if I need to go for another hernia to be fixed.

Submitted April 3, 2017 | flag

Value

I had inguinal surgery in February 2017...I was a little apprehensive based on different reviews I had read, but once I got a chance to really go over things with my surgeon, Dr. Cam Simmons, my fears greatly subsided. I was extremely pleased with the staff and doctors at the Shouldice Hospital, and the surgical care was fantastic.
I had my surgery on a Thursday morning, and spent the additional 3 days/nights in the hospital as per their program and suggestion, with discharge on the Sunday.
I have read other reviews on here, and I can confirm that yes, the beds are a little old and not quite as comfortable as you would expect...that said, they don't want you lying around all of the time, they want you up and moving to make things heal better.
The only other thing I would say is that the food is not stellar, but there was a half decent selection and it was okay...one piece of advice, bring your own pillow, as this is one area of comfort that you can maintain if you bring your own.
It was of course painful to get up and out of bed, but you quickly learned how to do so without hurting as much, and doing it more and more forced you to use your abdominal muscles, which help in the healing process.
I was pretty much pain free and off any pain meds (I was only taking tylenol and advil) by the 10 day mark, and I started working out (slightly modified) by day 12 after surgery.
The Shouldice method is very strong and secure, so although I feel a tiny bit of pain when I push it too much, I know I will NOT injure my repair, which is extremely comforting.
I expect to be 95% back to normal by day 21, and be back doing everything I used to do...I realize that the incision will remain a bit swollen and tight, but that goes for most surgeries and incisions.
I had a friend who got hernia surgery using the mesh repair almost 2 months before my surgery and they have been plagued with chronic pain, and other issues...they may only have had laparoscopic surgery (which is less invasive) but their overall results are far less successful than mine.
As for the review on this site regarding cleanliness and stuff...No one washed with dirty towels or sponges, and yes there is only one shower per floor, but they are very rarely used because you can't shower after surgery...nothing, including washing up in a janitors closet is true, and I would have to guess that whoever wrote that review is nothing but a whiner...as for grab bars on the beds, they WANT you to use your muscles, and work the area...they don't want you to just lay there....lastly, I was in during a very busy period and spoke to lots of other patients...other than the not quite so comfy beds, everyone was extremely pleased with the Doctors, Nurses, and their overall surgical results....also, some people say that the Shouldice Hospital "cherry picks"...this is true to a certain extent...they want people to be within a certain body mass category so that the surgery is successful...I had to lose 20 pounds as well, but it was good for me regardless of the surgery, and they made it quite clear that it is much more effective to stitch together solid muscle, rather than butter...so the less fat around your surgical site the better the results....a few of the other patients I met were there had their original surgery at Shouldice 20 years ago or more, with zero recurrence or problems, but were there getting their opposite sides repaired...none of them had any issues with their original surgeries, which is why when they hurt their other sides, they were back at the shouldice hospital.
All in all, I can say that these guys know their stuff, and that if you want to have a proven procedure, with long lasting results, this is the place to go.

Submitted March 8, 2017 | flag

Value

I just discharged from hospital service and all every thing is excellent but beds foam are very hard like you are sleeping on stone not recommended for patients

Submitted March 4, 2017 | flag

Value

I was admitted in January 2017 and was assigned to Dr. Alexander for my direct inguinal hernia. What a true professional. He demonstrated a lot of presence and showed that he cares for his patient well being. On the surgery day, he actually came to pick me up from the pre-op room and also on my checkout, he took the time to come and see me before his shift. He is the best. I would recommend this hospital to anyone with an hernia.

Submitted Jan. 23, 2017 | flag

Value

This hospital is top notch in every aspect. Dr Alexander and his staff are professional and skilled as well as caring and compassionate. The government should use this hospital as a model for all hospitals. I felt comfortable and confidence in the staff during my entire stay there and would highly recommend anyone with a hernia to use this hospital.

Submitted Oct. 10, 2016 | flag

Value

I was admitted in Aug. 2016 for two hernia repairs. I received superior care from all of the staff and I was very impressed with the level of excellence. I would like to give a very special thank you to Dr. Smith. My visit was a positive experience and you make a difference in people's lives.

Submitted Aug. 29, 2016 | flag

Value

If you need a hernia repair,this is the place to go.Just had my second hernia done.Excellent medical and nursing staff with very supportive intake personnel.Did a lot of research prior to first visit and all my expectations were realized.Talked with patients from all over including an American doctor who came up for the surgery.Rating-11 out of 10.

Submitted May 13, 2016 | flag