Kelowna General Hospital

Hospital

Rate Kelowna General Hospital

Ratings for Kelowna General Hospital

Value

Only reason value for dollar is rated 3 stars is because of the food served to patients. I am not known as a picky eater but I couldn't believe how sub standard the food is. Some of it I wouldn't feed to a dog. Everyone in the hospital is trying so hard to make this facility a safe, caring and friendly environment........but the food. Oh my. What a challenge. Definitely requires extreme improvement. Patients need food is a necessary part of healing too. I was on a general food diet and most of it I would rarely, if ever, serve at home. Really lets the efforts of all down. All the staff I encountered, regardless of job description, were kind, caring, pleasant and highly proficient people. I have the highest regard for them all. Wonderful...........but the food.....oh my.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2017

Value

I spent almost 2 months at KGH and have very little to say that is negative. My care was very good; staff always polite, food was fresh and wholesome & good even without salt. Paramedics were also very gentle & polite. Food was occasionally not on time but overall it was mostly on time. My treatment for my condition was thorough & successful. I have also used the emergency and the majority of times the waiting period was reasonably quick. Was not bothered wanting to go home because my stay was pleasant. KGH, in my opinion is far better than Surrey Memorial or even Vancouver General.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2017

Value

Starting to wonder where out MSP goes. The medical industy is a joke. Go to emerge with a major issue leave with pain killers.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

Value

I had a hysterectomy on October 17th and had excellent care from start to finish. The staff were really great... efficient and very caring. Thank you staff for the great experience as a patient.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

Value

Went to KGH suffering from a heart attack and apart from the initial front desk processing (initially asking me to wait in the line up) the rest of my experience was excellent. First rate facilities and incredible staff ... I was in the O.R. before I could blink and could not have received any better treatment elsewhere. Accolades to all of the staff for providing exceptional service in an often thankless environment.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2017

Value

Bad experience in Emerg with one nurse. She seemed to believe she was God's gift to the world. She didn't take my pain or symptoms seriously, instead spent her time flirting with other staff members and then sat in a chair bossing everyone else around. Her name was Sandra or Sondra, she was a blond skinny thing that talked more about herself than anything else. I eventually had another nurse take over and she was very sweet and caring.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2017

Value

Yikes.... These comments do not say many good thing about our hospital. I thought it was only White Rock and Surrey Memorial that were scary! I would never leave anyone in a hospital . without an advocate after reading these comments . I have only been to the ER in Kelowna and it was very slow and communication was lacking.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Value

It was awesome they found a lot out so I'm very happy definitely would recommend and it only took 2h

flag | Submitted July 30, 2017

Value

Having been there several times with my elderly and very fragile parent, the wait times in emergency go on for 8-10-12 hours. The docs overall are fine, although I had 1 female hospitalist yell at me that my mom needed way more care than she was getting ( she had been on a wait list for nursing care for months!) Nurses really vary-some are great-some are rude and uncaring. Cleanliness is awful. I saw cleaners wipe down beds in a careless manner with cloths that didn't look clean. The worst is communication. Apparently no one reads charts and have no idea what is going on with patients. No idea how patients without family/ friends get any care whatsoever. Having new facilities does not address the lack of care.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

Value

The hospital is not set up to help patients that need extra care in their wards. I had to stay from breakfast to lunch or from lunch to supper or my wife would not have been fed. My wife would have missed meals as she could not feed herself. Why should the patient's family have to do some of the care? Therapy was forgotten so my wife became bed-ridden. The transition people are not working well with the doctors. The transition people do not know what is going on as a doctor told us that there were available care homes beds available and we waited and waited and the transition people did not know what was going on. We were told first that they could put my wife in hospice and we waited and waited. They forgot to tell us that there were 10 people waiting to get one of the 20 beds in the hospice. Some of the nurses were very good and were caring while others were not. I have to say that I cannot say anything bad about the doctors. Some of them were outstanding. There are too many shift changes of doctors and nurses. After 2 months I was still seeing doctors and nurses for the first time. With so many shift changes, if the nurses did not read the patients chart, they had no idea what was going on with the patient. This happened. Why can they not have one shift a week. For example one week of morning shift. The way it is set up now there is mass confusion with patients being the victims. My wife was in the hospital for almost 2 months, I was there everyday to feed her and to call for a nurse as my wife could not. My wife passed away in the hospital while waiting to get her in a care home. I wanted her to be in a care home or in the hospice rather then pass away in the hospital.. They did not work very hard to get her out of the hospital. I had to worry about getting her proper care while worrying at the same time about my wife's condition. It put a lot of stress on me. There needs to be big changes in how the hospital is run. Doctors, nurses, therapists and transition people need to work better together. It was a very bad experience having my wife in the hospital.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2017

Doctors at Kelowna General Hospital

Dr. Jeffery Eppler

Dr. Jeffery Eppler

Latest Rating

Wonderful, wonderful physician. First Class TX from Dr. Eppler a few months ago when I had severe pain in my eye one evening. Not only does he "know his stuff" ...... Read more

Dr. Anne-Marie Cayer

Dr. Anne-Marie Cayer

Latest Rating

Anne-Marie is a brainy, well-informed, jovial woman. She balances good medicine and kind humanity in a perfect way throughout her care!

Dr. Cheryl Holmes

Dr. Cheryl Holmes

Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Latest Rating

Dr. Cheryl Holmes helped save my life! A few years back, due to a broken ankle, I suffered a massive saddle pulmonary embolism. I spent three nights in the critical... Read more

Dr. Rick De Villiers

Dr. Rick De Villiers

Latest Rating

Not a good doctor at all ! He's a know it all and the staff is very rude also.

Dr. Philip White

Dr. Philip White

Latest Rating

Dr. White is an excellent physician. He has been our doctor for 20+ years.

Dr. Stephan Mostowy

Dr. Stephan Mostowy

Latest Rating

Amazing Doctor. Saved my dad's life. Easy to talk to and super cool. Thank you so much for everything you did.

Dr. Robert M. Penner

Dr. Robert M. Penner

Latest Rating

Excellent on all accounts!!!! I had a consultation followed up with a colonoscopy. Dr. Penner is very professional and personable and his staff are extremely nice... Read more

Dr. Michael J. Ertel

Dr. Michael J. Ertel

Latest Rating

Very nice fellow. Skilled and compassionate. He got to the bottom of the issue virtually immediately.

Dr. Jeff Donat

Dr. Jeff Donat

Latest Rating

Dr.Jeff Donat has been an unbelievable help in my ongoing problems with chronic migraines caused from a fall and severe concussion. He is great with his bedside man... Read more

Dr. Douglas Nottebrock

Dr. Douglas Nottebrock

Latest Rating

My husband was in Emergency KGH and Dr. Nottebrook checked him. We were very please with his knowledge and explanation!! He was very through to make things clear! ... Read more