Kelowna General Hospital

Kelowna General Hospital

Hospital

Rate Kelowna General Hospital

Value

Success! Your rating has been saved.

Ratings for Kelowna General Hospital

Value

No doctors all hospialist. Must be more money in it. Guess they are in it for prestige and not for the well being of people

Submitted April 22, 2017 | flag

Value

The wait for emergency and also just general appointments is ridiculous. This problem needs to be dealt with because people need their health care in a reliable time

Submitted April 19, 2017 | flag

Value

So unbelievably awful. People visiting this ER have to stand (!) in a long, slow line to check in, no matter how hurt or sick they may be. When I asked if we could be expedited as my boyfriend was having chest pains, I was offered a wheelchair. There was a bowl of blood on the side table in the waiting room and it sat there for the full hour we were there (and likely beyond). The place feels absolutely chaotic. When we were finally seen by a doctor for all of three minutes, he recommended a urine sample be done but no one could tell us where to get a cup, and after we figured it out eventually a nurse came in and tossed the sample in the garbage saying it would not be needed after all. After 4 hours of waiting, the frazzled doctor came in with a diagnosis and when when we asked for a note for work (he was recommending several weeks off) he actually heaved an exasperated sigh and said "Really, guys? I'm so busy and behind." It was the worst, and I think it's terrifying that people are being assessed and treated here. KGH is scary and embarrassing.

Submitted April 7, 2017 | flag

Value

Visiting from out of province and had to make emergency visit. My throat was swelling and I was having difficulty breathing.
I had to force the staff to give me epinephrine. This is an on-going condition for me and I had to tell them how to treat me.
I got the bare minimum in care - no IV - no vitals monitoring which is the protocol from back home.
The hallways were full of beds with patients, the treatment area was disgusting with help yourself and dispose where you like puke bowls, the linen on the bed was from previous patient, and whenever someone left the treatment area, their robes or blankets or towels were left behind.
There is no kindness, compassion or care.
I didn't need tons of care - just give me the epi shot and leave me be.
Shouldn't have to wait 45 minutes for one with throats closing.
Really makes me appreciate my home town hospital.

Submitted March 12, 2017 | flag

Value

They spend lots of money and the service is still the same slow and inefficient...

Submitted Feb. 20, 2017 | flag

Value

Nice staff and I found it to be quite clean you always see some one around cleaning

Submitted Feb. 10, 2017 | flag

Value

great talent here, but very long wait times in ER etc

Submitted Jan. 10, 2017 | flag

Value

Poor. everything from the location.parking,arrogant staff, I feel sorry for people that are forced to use this facility

Submitted Jan. 3, 2017 | flag

Value

Nurses drugging my son and almost killing him is enough. Dr's and nurses were negligent, uneducated, abusive and uncaring. On a Pediatric unit none the less. Disgraceful place!

Submitted Dec. 19, 2016 | flag

Value

As someone who has dealt with Crohn's for around 10 years I have been in and out of KGH hundreds of times and every time I have had to endure HOURS (up to 5) of waiting in emergency with no reassurance or even a comforting smile from the nurses there. I don't care if people keep asking you how much longer it will be, the rude and impatient responses are unacceptable. If you don't like your job, find a new profession. I am a server and deal with people every day and would never dream of speaking to a person the way some nurses at KGH speak to their patients.

In one experience, all information had been given and I had been sent through to emergency where, as per usual, I waited in pain for hours. I eventually could not keep myself sitting up in a chair for any longer and put blankets on the floor in the corner so I could lay down. As soon as I did this a nurse came running over, basically picked me up off the floor saying I wasn't allowed to do this and sent me back to the very beginning!! Where I had to start all over and was put back to the bottom of the list. No warning, no explanation, they just sent me away. The lack of logic in this was mind blowing and my dad was furious.

As for the facilities and experience after being admitted, 90% of the nurses are rude and focused only on their immediate job and very are insensitive to patients. Visiting hours are non-existant so if you are sharing a room with other patients they could have visitors at 10pm if they wanted while everyone else is sleeping with their lights out (this has happened to me). When I asked one of these visitors politely to quiet down, turns out she was a nurse in that very hospital and, clearly annoyed, told me "there are earplugs you know".

All of this being said, the Drs at this hospital saved me from a life-threatening infection and I could not be more thankful for them. I just wish the nurses would be a little more aware of their attitudes towards patients.

Submitted Dec. 12, 2016 | flag