Dr. Michael G. Zywiel

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Michael G. Zywiel

Had my left hip replaced by Dr. Zywiel on Nov 29th and two weeks later was driving my standard sports car. Went in to see him three weeks after the surgery and he told me that I could do whatever I wanted concerning the hip without any possibility of dislocation. It's been seven weeks now after the operation and I'm back to doing my regular advanced yoga classes. I do feel a bit of pain but nothing like it for the last two years. I can sit and sleep pain free. The physio staff up on the fourth floor do a great job with the prescribed exercises. They informed me that the hip will be fully healed within six months. It's getting better and better each day. I have more range of motion and strength. One peice of advice I can suggest is to have your prostrate checked out by a urologist before surgery for any issues. Had a catheter inserted for a few weeks due to urinary retention of my bladder. Great surgeon, team and hospital system which is. The UHN. Highly recommend !

flag | Submitted January 22, 2020

Getting my hip replacement (anterior procedure) by Dr. Z was like winning the lottery! 2+ years of pain and limping was over within a few weeks of 'day' surgery, and no physiotherapy. Now 10 months post-surgery, I am skiing, golfing, walking limp free, with a barely recognizable scar. Staff and facilities at Toronto Western are first-rate, client-focused and always helpful. Dr. Z is a rare find in the surgical field with his in-depth professional knowledge, prompt communication, affable personality, and prompt and proactive follow-up. Witnessing my amazing results, my spouse went to Dr. Z. to have a long-standing knee problem assessed. Before undertaking surgery, Dr. Z. counselled her on the pros and cons of surgery, and recommended she undergo targeted GLA:D physiotherapy for 6-weeks to see if this would correct the pain and mobility issues. The physio was most useful in gaining an in-depth understanding of knee issues but was ineffective in addressing persistent pain and limping. Dr. Z. then performed a knee replacement and my wife walked out of the hospital 3 hours later. Today, 4 months post-surgery, she is walking with no limp and is on her way to pain-free mobility. Surgical recovery was harder work than for a hip replacement, just as Dr. Z had counselled - and he was there every step of the way to guide and assist in his usual caring and attentive manner. We are both exceedingly grateful that we found Dr. Z, and feel privileged to have received his exceptional care.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2020

I can not recommend this doctor more. His anterior approach is by far the way to go for a fast recovery. I was his first bikini incision patient by choice and I couldn’t be happier. I was off crutches in 4 days and limp less within 2 weeks. His staff were beyond amazing. Thank you everyone for a job well done!

flag | Submitted December 17, 2019

If it wasn’t for dr zywiel, my father would have an amputated Leg or worse. When we came to see dr. Zywiel, he was at the point of amputation as he had a knee replacement done by another doctor which became infected, he then had sepsis ended up in er! After 6-7 surgeries and revisions we finally came to see dr zywiel who was a god send!! Incredibly caring, attentive and knowledgeable. Because of this doctor, our dad is able to walk again. We are forever grateful!

flag | Submitted December 10, 2019

He was assigned as my dr fir a wrist fracture, had 3 appointments with him, he never came to the room, always sent a nurse and I found out thru another dr that my fracture had collapsed and now I need to have it re broken in surgery to correct it. He signed all the documents as if he had overseen my case. I call this fraud !

flag | Submitted December 9, 2019

Dr.Zywiel performed a complete hip replacement on me last year in about an hour. I walked - with a walker - out of the hospital 5 hours later. Amazing. He and his staff exhibited the utmost professionalism in a relaxed manner that put me completely at ease. I couldn't recommend him more if you're needing a new hip or knee.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2019

Dr. Michael Zywiel was the surgeon for a hip replacement I had five weeks ago. He and his staff -- all of them -- at both Toronto Western Hospital and Women's College Hospital were wonderful, every step of the way. Warm, friendly, attentive, helpful and tremendously skilled. My operation was on a Monday morning and I was able to walk without cane, crutches or any other help 4 days later. Of course there was pain, but the pharmacist on the team had provided prescriptions for a very effective combination of meds to keep this down to a dull roar. I'm grateful beyond measure to Dr. Zywiel and all of those who assisted him. I could not have been in better, more caring hands anywhere. Thank you all -- again.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2019

Dr. Michael Zywiel was my surgeon for my knee injury and I am blessed to have been under his care. He is very caring, gives the right advice and looks after his patients.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2019

I am so grateful I was referred to Dr. Zywiel for hip replacement using the anterior method. Right from my first appointment, to my last post-op follow up, Dr. Zywiel and his team at TWH were thorough, personable, engaging, and expert in every aspect. It left me feeling very confident that I was making the right decision to proceed with my hip replacement. At the time of my first appointment, I was not aware how lucky I was to be offered the anterior approach, and I still thought that I could work on my pain issues with physiotherapy. Dr. Zywiel asked me one question that convinced me to proceed - he asked if I could easily put on my socks. I clearly had moderate to severe arthritis in the hip joint, and understanding that no amount of physio or medication would reverse that condition, this answer to this question finally convinced me that surgery was the answer. Weekly physiotherapy for 5 months leading up to surgery most certainly helped in my quick recovery, but the anterior approach is so minimally invasive that recovery is unbelievably quick. I was a healthy candidate as an active 60 year old female, and chose to be discharged the same day. I went into surgery around 1:30pm, and was en-route to home by 6:30pm. Once the freezing wore off in post-op, the physiotherapist assisted me out of bed and on to a walker. The pain I had been enduring in every possible position for months, was completely gone! I barely used the pain medication after the first day, only at bedtime for the first 2 nights so I could sleep soundly. I can only describe the incision as mild disomfort when moving, and pretty much discarded my walker after 2 days, although I kept it close by if I was preparing food, or showering, just in case I felt the need to lean on it. Doing the mild exercises a few times a day as instructed were enough to quickly build comfortable range of motion. At my first physio follow-up appointment on the 10th day after surgery, the therapists could not tell which hip I had replaced. We worked quickly through some more challenging exercises, and I was off to the races. I can't thank Dr. Zywiel enough for the great care, and the pain-free days I am now enjoying because of his expertise! I am now able to put on socks without a thought about how to perform such a simple task with the least pain! Thank you Dr. Zywiel, and your team of professionals at Toronto Western's Rapid Access Clinic! I have my active life back! Debbie

flag | Submitted September 4, 2019

I had my total hip replacement in May at The Toronto Western Hospital performed by Dr. Zywiel and his team. From the very first appointment I had with Dr. Zywiel, I felt extremely confident and comfortable to have him as the specialist to perform the procedure. All the preop appointments were done in a very organized manner at the TWH Clinic and everything about the surgery was thoroughly explained. I remember feeling a little nervous when I had learned that it will be a same day release, however I put my faith into Dr. Zywiel and his team. On my end; I did my best in terms of pre-habilitation with almost daily visits to the gym and lots of rest. The surgery took place in the morning around 9am, was about an hour and a half long, without any complication. I was ready to released in the afternoon at 4pm, and by then I could comfortably walk with a walker. Upon arriving home, it was no problem to walk up the and down the stairs in my 3-story townhome. On the third day post-surgery, I was able to walk short periods without any mobility aids. I kept doing the physio exercises but mostly I just walked as much as I comfortably could. Everyday I’d feel better and better and within 6 weeks I was back at my work. Dr Zywiel is an outstanding physician who’s empathetic and understanding, shows promptness in replying to emails or messages, even on the week-end! – really unique. All his staff, assistants and secretaries at the clinic were extraordinarily helpful and kind. I would give 10 stars if it were possible.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2019

Dr. Michael G. Zywiel's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Areas of expertise: Hip and knee replacement; Direct anterior approach hip replacement; Rapid recovery joint replacement; Outpatient joint replacement surgery