Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Kevin O'Brien

We followed Dr. O'Brien from his previous location. It is a long drive but worth it because he is such a kind and caring doctor.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2020

Dr. Kevin O'Brien's response
Many thanks for your kind comments and hope the trip is not too far! I will continue to accept any patients that were former patients on mine in Etobicoke but am temporarily going to stop accepting any completely new patients in order to ensure that the wait times for rostered patients are kept as reasonable as possible. We may reopen the list to new patients in the future and will keep people posted via this site and on our website. Just to clarify, patients relocating from my old office are and will continue to be accepted.

Submitted January 12, 2020

Dear Dr O’Brien, sorry to bother you but I have reached the clinic multiple times to find out if you are accepting new patients, I was always told to call back every-time. This portal does indicate that you are accepting new patients. I have been looking for a family doctors for past few months and have been calling ever since. Can you please look into this? I thank you in advance.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2020

Dr. Kevin O'Brien's response
Hi, sorry for the difficult in arranging an appointment. I will be accepting new patients for a little while longer and will then probably be closing the list to ensure that wait times for appointments etc does not become excessive. You could try emailing [email protected] and one of the secretaries will get back to you re when my next "new patient meet and greet" availability is. There may be a bit of a wait unfortunately but I am still rostering patients at present.

Submitted January 6, 2020

Hello - how remarkable and promising that you reply to these postings . Looking for a new family physician for both my daughter and myself. Live in the area. Was not able to leave a voice mail but can try calling again on Monday. Impressed that you reply yourself - that in itself says something

flag | Submitted January 4, 2020

Dr. Kevin O'Brien's response
Ha ha! Common courtesy, I suppose! Give the clinic a call again on Monday and the secretaries will discuss availability for a "meet and greet". There is a bit of a wait for an initial appointment at the moment as I am not seeing any new patients for the first two weeks in January to allow a bit more access for my current patients after the holiday period but they should be able to get you in in a couple of weeks or so. Looking forward to meeting you both then.

Submitted January 4, 2020

I'm been searching for a new family doctor for a while and came across Dr. Kevin O'Brien. I'm so glad I did! He has been an amazing doctor since day one. Extremely helpful and thorough, and makes sure his patients feel comfortable (even during their very first pregnancy). He even takes the time to call after hours to make sure I'm okay. That's what you call a super caring and an amazing doctor!

flag | Submitted November 28, 2019

He is also a new doctor for my elderly mother who suffers from dementia. My impression is very positive. He is a caring, compassionate physician, very kind and helpful. He makes his patients feel comfortable and be able to speak to him not only about their health issues but also their problems which affect their mental health. Very easy to talk to.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2019

Dear Dr O’Brien, sorry to bother you but I can’t find your new walk in hours. I heard they changed but there is no information on the answering machine.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2019

Dr. Kevin O'Brien's response
Hi, we are in the process of some change as we now have more coverage at the clinic and will have a dedicated walkin doctor most days. Any day that there is a walkin doctor also on, I will be seeing patients by appointment only but will have some slots set aside for same day appointments for patients already rostered to me. Just call the clinic for one of these same day appointments (for urget issues) if I have seen you previously. I do not have a dedicated walkin shift in the next 2 weeks but the other walkin doctors usually work 9-5 (Mondays) or 9-3. If I have not seen you before it's best to book in for a meet and greet. Hope that helps!

Submitted November 11, 2019

Hi Dr. O’Brien. I seem to be having problems trying to register with you. Several months ago I was put on a list. ...I actually spoke to someone on the phone. They only asked me for my name and phone number ( not email). Told me that they would call me for an appt. , unfortunately I never received a pone call. Our family is seeking a family physician. Should I go to your office to book an appt? Thanks

flag | Submitted November 7, 2019

Dr. Kevin O'Brien's response
Hi, I'm really sorry about the fact that you were not contacted. I will look into it tomorrow. For now, give the clinic a call in the morning (6473490053) and we will get you booked in. Sincere apologies.

Submitted November 7, 2019

Dr O' Brien is one of the best doctors you'll ever come across. He listens to your issue, asks questions, explains things, and doesn't rush you out of his office. He will take the time to review your file and your medical history before prescribing something and when you leave, you always feel that he has understood your problem and is taking care of it. He is also very kind, respectful and funny. We are very fortunate to have such an amazing doctor!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2019

nothing special. always in a rush. Going to another doctor.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2019

Dr. Kevin O'Brien's response
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. It is the nature of family practice that things are often very busy, esoecially when seeing walkin patients. Booked patients are scheduled for 15 minute appointments. Sometimes people need more than this, sometimes less and it is not always possible to address all a patient's issues at the one appointment. I hope you find a GP that better suits your needs. A GP working in a capitated model (eg a Family Health Organisation) may suit you better. All the best. Kevin

Submitted November 1, 2019

The best doctor in all of GTA! You are in great hands, if he is your family doctor.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2019

Dr. Kevin O'Brien's Credentials

No, this doctor is not accepting new patients

NOTE FOR CURRENT ETOBICOKE PATIENTS (15th June '19): For the last year and a half, I have been commuting about an hour each way to get to North Etobicoke and while I have really enjoyed my time in Etobicoke Walkin and Family Physicians, I am going to have to move closer to home to give a bit more support to my wife and our young family as we have just welcomed our third child into our family. I understand that it is frustrating when a doctor moves clinic and I really apologise for the distress it might cause. While I tried to discuss the move with all of my rostered patients in Etobicoke in person over the last 3 months, I was not able to get in contact with everyone and I'm very sorry if you were one of this group. A new doctor will likely be starting in my place in Etobicoke shortly and will be accepting new patients. I will be working from a new practice close to Christie Pits subway station - The Medical Practice, 3rd floor, 799 Bloor St West, Phone 6473490053 once I return from parental leave on the 12th of July. All current patients are certainly welcome to see me (and will automatically be accepted) at the new location but if this is not convenient, I'm sure the new GP and the staff in Etobicoke will continue to provide great care to you. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Background: I am an Irish GP with specialist membership of both the Irish and the Canadian colleges of Family Physicians (CCFP and MICGP) as well as specialist membership of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland (MRCPI) and a diploma in child health (DCH). I have worked in almost all areas of medicine, including paediatrics, psychiatry, emergency medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, addiction medicine, palliative care and a range of rotations in general medicine during my six years working in hospitals. I also hold additional training in Tropical and Travel Medicine and a diploma in Addiction Medicine. I strongly believe in evidence based medicine and in working with patients to develop a collaborative plan for managing health and dealing with illness. In particular, I try to be aware of patients' worries and concerns and the impact physical illnesses can have on patients' mental health. I am married with three young daughters and have previously lived in New Zealand and more recently on the remote South Atlantic island of St Helena before deciding to brave Canada's formidable winters!

• English
  • Irish

• Trinity college Dublin (Grad. 2006)