Ratings for Dr. Howard Napper

Massively experienced. Massive in every way. Messiah of Anorexia. In the name of the butter, the bun and the holy toast.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

Look, just the most delightful man. Safe, kind - I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2017

(Staff rating is for staff at his private rooms at Wesley Consulting Suites, NOT the hospital.) I love to read others' impressions of Dr Napper, especially when they concur with mine as the comment below does! A good example of how his knowledge can be used for good is that when I met him I had psychotic ideations that a former psychiatrist was the returned Messiah and I wanted to burst into said psychiatrist's consulting room and proclaim him as such. Dr Napper gently suggested the Book of Revelation and when I read it I realized I was wrong and did not proceed with plan. I agree he is a cat's whisker off a saint. He has one tiny flaw and there is no malice here (nobody is perfect!) He has a slightly fragile ego and does not like being criticized. It cost me the professional relationship and if I'd known this I'd still have him. I don't want anyone else to lose him! At our last ever consult I was pretty emotionally unstable and had had to return prematurely from a holiday due to the anniversary of my father's death hitting me hard. I had all but taken myself off medication and was not on enough. In my unstable state I had a go at him about something that had happened at a previous admission at SJOG in admittedly a pretty belligerant and hysterical way. Dr Napper terminated the professional relationship then and there. It was a great loss and don't worry, I pleaded with him by mail for two years to take me back with all due apologies - I didn't just eat humble pie, I consumed 50 of them! To no avail. I would not say never raise anything with him if there is an issue. Just wait until you've calmed down and do it POLITELY. He is a genteel man and wants genteel patients. (The net result for me is that two years on I am 100 times better than if I had never seen him for that four months in 2014. I can't complain!)

flag | Submitted December 7, 2016

I feel bad for the previous poster as my experiences with Dr Napper were great. I had the advantage of seeing him as an inpatient which meant seeing him several times a week over a number of weeks rather than as an outpatient where you see them more sporadically (and it sounds like the previous poster saw him as an outpatient). It is hard to transport myself back in time to remember my first impressions of Dr Napper - but I would say rather dignified and upper class. I didn't have the luxury of going away to think about him as I was...er... a captive audience in hospital but I can say he was not only fantastic but myself and his other patients were incredibly fond of him. I hope the previous poster found someone good that suited them.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2016

I almost fell off my chair when i read those lovely comments. I was recently referred to him by my gp. It was the most atrocious experience in my life. His clinical knowledge is minimal and he totally unfocused. He is the worst psychiatist i have ever seen.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2016

For once in my life the light at the end of the tunnel was not that of an oncoming train - lol. Hot tip though - Dr Napper admits to two hospitals. One of them is the very substandard Wesley Ashfield. The other is St John of God Burwood - probably the best private psychiatric hospital in Australia. If needing an admission please request to be admitted to SJOG Burwood. I actually started out at Wesley Ashfield with Dr Napper but requested to go to SJOG Burwood the next time and he was fine with that. If you are seeing him as an outpatient his rooms at Ashfield are fine though, the counter staff are lovely. But please request SJOG Burwood if needing an inpatient admission. (The only situation that this doesn't work for is if you need an inpatient admission for eating disorder. SJOG Burwood doesn't have an eating disorder unit but have everything else and more.)

flag | Submitted October 7, 2015

I knew Dr Napper through Wesley's Eating Disorders Unit and he honestly has the worst reputation amongst staff and patients on the ward as being a pill-pusher who wouldn't know an ED if it hit him in the face. Made extremely unhelpful and inappropriate comments about the program and our progress/illness' and was very keen on medicating people to the brim. I've heard he's fantastic in the drug and alcohol unit, however if you are seeking treatment for an eating disorder I suggest looking elsewhere.

Submitted August 4, 2015

After seeing a few Psychiatrists and being in various hospital for Post Traumatic Disorder which eventually caused me to have nervous breakdowns and I did not feel any better. Finally I went to a different private hospital and I met Dr Howard Napper. This was back in 2009. For the first time I felt comfortable talking to a psychiatrist as Dr Napper is so down to earth and makes you open up and you actually say what you are really feeling and experiencing. He has always returned phone calls when you leave messages with his secretaries and his whole team are helpful and go out of their way to fit you in if you need an urgent appointment. I found that having Dr Napper for support has made my life have balance and feel more like how I did before all my trauma. I would recommend him to anyone who needs help and needs a genuinely caring Doctor who actually understands what people are going through.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

The respect that this psychiatrist has for his patients is outstanding. First of all I had to recover from the fact that here was a psychiatrist who was not having a love affair with his notebook and paper and was sitting there intently LISTENING to me. What the? I guess he makes a few jottings after he has seen you because he remembers everything you said, but he certainly doesn't do it on YOUR time. And then I noticed when I was in hospital that if he moved a chair in your room to consult you he would then move it BACK when he had finished. What the? I had never even seen a nurse or even a CLEANER do that before. Yes he is very experienced and knows his stuff, but it is the little things that tell you so much about a person's character and true intentions and I can tell you that this man will care about you and your wellbeing more than anything if he takes you on as a patient.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2015

This psychiatrist is massively experienced in pretty much every area of psychiatry and is very competent. You could not ask for someone better to look after you if you are unwell and in crisis. He is caring and relates to you as a person, not just another name on his list. He really listens. He is fantastic.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2015