Ratings for Dr. Salim M. Shelby

Practice could be improved if Surgery Coordinator (Becky) was assigned to some other position that more closely matched her skills and temperament - my experience dealing with her was one of the worst customer service experiences I have had in a long time.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2016

SO nervous about having my first colonoscopy! My family doctor referred me to see Dr. Shelby, because of his reputation for being punctual, kind and attentive to his patients. I am very pleased to say, Dr. Shelby was wonderful! My experience starting with his friendly, efficient staff, the colonoscopy, and subsequent visit to discuss my results with Dr. Shelby, was exceptional! I will definitely recommend Dr. Shelby to all my family and friends!

flag | Submitted February 8, 2016

New patient of Dr. Shelby. Totally ecstatic about the treatment I received. Very attentive to my condition. Performed an upper endoscopy with dilation. Entire staff was very efficient. No after effects from the anesthesia, and felt great afterwards. I am very satisfied with his care.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2016

I'm not terribly sure what I can add to what has been said here! I'll try, though. I canceled a procedure with Dr. Shelby because I had not yet sufficiently recovered from surgery the previous day. He responded by barging into my hospital room, berating me at length for refusing the procedure, then proceeding to lecture me for the second time in less than 24 hours regarding why the procedure was important. At that point, I realized how very grateful I was that I had not gone through with the procedure! Who would want such a disrespectful, emotionally incompetent, callous man for a doctor? This "doctor" showed not an ounce of sympathy for the massive pain I was in due to the previous surgery. Rather, he made it clear that he valued the time he had lost far more than he valued my care. He also blamed me entirely for a problem due primarily to my previous nurse' refusal to communicate my request to postpone the procedure.

Submitted November 23, 2014

He and staff don't seem to appreciate a patient's privacy - no matter what you indicate on the privacy form.

Submitted November 30, 2011

I too felt like my husband was rushed in and out. Dr. never even examined him physically. Dr. Shelby just rushed to schedule a procedure....NEVER received information on the biopsy results in the mail as I was told. I had to call the office for the results after not hearing from them for 4 weeks. I am very unhappy with the care and I will be looking elsewhere for a Dr. who has actual concern for their patients.

Submitted December 16, 2009

Felt like I was on an assembly line. Rushed in and out of upper GI endoscopy before my head stopped spinning. Waited more than 2 weeks to get my results.

Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr.Shelby saw me for 5 minutes in his office where he treated me poorly and ordered an EDG+Endo procedure. The test was one of the worst experiences I have gone through. Dr.Shelby made inappropriate comments to the nurses who were assisting him "while I was on the table". He said;"You are going to have to really hold her down" because I was wide awake and he knew I could feel everything.He never sprayed my throat(local anesthesia)and while the chart says that he gave me verced + fentanyl,I do not believe that he gave me the correct amount of the verced. His comments to the nurses frightened me. I had many procedures in my life - most of which did not cause discomfort, but having plastic tubing stuck down my mouth, throat, esophagus and into the colon hurt enormously. Lastly,Dr.Shelby never called me when the biopsy reports revealed 3 diagnoses. I"found out" about the ilnesses when a Path. report was MAILED to me. Dr.S.still has not returned any of my calls (6wks later)

flag | Submitted April 11, 2008

He is an excellent Health Care Provider and I would recommend him highly to anyone that needs his services. He was patient, caring and efficient.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2008

I was recommended to Dr. Shelby by my internist.I had only a positive experience with Dr. Shelby. He listened well to my symptoms, and explained in detail the possible causes. His office staff was knowledgeable and helpful. He performed a combined colonoscopy/endoscopy/biopsy on me, with no complications whatsoever. I had previously had one of these performed by a different doctor, and had experienced discomfort afterwards, but in this case, I had no discomfort. I would (and will) definitely go back to Dr. Shelby, and would recommend him to others searching for a competent gastroenterologist.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2008