Ratings for Dr. John T. Whalen

wow, it was a while ago that i saw him but even then i felt the same as all these other people. i had mri done on my back but when i went to see him he could not show them to me, he had a pievce of paper in his hand, who knows what that was. he had no diagrams or pictures on the walls by which to explain things to me. he told me there was not much that could be done, let him know when the pain got too much so to schedule surger. i said i wanted to research some pain management. he was dismissive at best. 2 days later his office called to schedule my surgery...what? i did not go back there. what a jerk.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2017

Dr. Whalen only cares about lining his pockets. I saw him before surgery and have not set my eyes on him since. It's hard for me to get appointment. I have pain that I never had before surgery. Now I have to worry about my workers compensation being cut because the paper work wasn't filled correctly. I wish I read the reviews first!

flag | Submitted April 3, 2017

Dr Whalen is a Joke I went and saw him in Feb 2017. He was rude and disrespectful he never went through the Xrays with me he didn't even really evaluate me all he did was told me I was too FAT and needed to loose weight SORRY I WAS IN PAIN AND DISCOMFORT BEFORE I WAS BIG ! He also stated that if the medicine that my family doctor put me on isn't working then to stop taking all of it.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2017

Abrupt and dismissive. I should have read these patient responses beforehand! I had a total of 30 seconds with him in the recovery room, so I have no idea what to expect during the healing. Looks like he hasn't learned bedside manner either at Yale or throughout his 27 years of dealing with real people. The rating for helpfulness says it all. The other 1 ratings were so as not to present a wrong score.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2016

Dr. Whalen is an excellent doctor. He has done 3 surgeries on me and to take from someone else's review, I will add, "Dr. Whelan would never tell a patient to go back to their 'fancy' doctors. I don't believe that for a second. He's been my doctor for about five years now, and while he isn't the most talkative or overly friendly doc, he's never turned me away ....""The end result is that Dr. Whelan knows what he's doing. He's the head of Orthopedic Surgery at St. Mary's, has 100s (probably thousands) of happy patients, and he's not afraid to be honest with you. If you need to be coddled, then see someone else. He is an EXCELLENT DOCTOR, SURGEON AND PERSON!!!!

flag | Submitted July 26, 2016

He set my leg 18 degrees crooked. He is no good dont go to him. Now i have alot of problems with the leg and ankle.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015

Visit in Dec 2013. This guy is a lump. Run away. All he wanted was to perform surgery on me or else get out of his office. I wemt there for results of my MRI on my neck and he hardly said a word to me. Didnt show or explain amything to me. Didnt suggest PT or anything at all.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2014

I had surgery with him in 2006. Woke up in more pain than I had before surgery. I then found out I needed another surgery and did that with him In 2007 because the 2006 surgery failed. The surgery in 2007 also failed I have had chronic meck pain since. My quality of life is non existent. I just had my third surgery with a different doctor and he said dr. Whalen never removed all of my disc in my neck and left multiple bone spurs. Needless to say I have nerves that are now damaged for life. I have so much pain that will never go away. Dr.whalen is a terrible surgeon if you want a quality of life stay away from him.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2014

Dr. Whalen was very rude and short during my visits. Before cervical surgery he did not explain the procedure or recovery very thoroughly. I saw him previous to that for my back issue and all he wanted to do was surgery and I have opted for other solutions and am seeing another orthopedic doctor. When I finally decided to give in and ask him for pain med's (after years of being in pain) he was very resistant to giving me anything. My neck issues were through my insurance company, the Empire Plan.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2009

Dr. Whelan would never tell a patient to go back to their 'fancy' doctors. I don't believe that for a second. He's been my doctor for about five years now, and while he isn't the most talkative or overly friendly doc, he's never turned me away when I'm in pain - in person or on the phone. His Secretary, Antoinette, is the friendliest and most helpful member of his staff, and without her I may have gone insane several times in the last few years. I've had several back surgeries for various reasons, and at the recommendation of my primary, I saw another dr. for a second opinion. The end result is that Dr. Whelan knows what he's doing. He's the head of Orthopaedic Surgery at St. Mary's, has 100s (probably thousands) of happy patients, and he's not afraid to be honest with you. If you need to be coddled, then see someone else.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. John T. Whalen's Credentials

• Yale University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1989)

• BCBS Illinois