Ratings for Dr. Robert S. Dean

Unable to make an appointment - no one picks up the phone or returns calls. Dr. Dean was highly recommended, so this is disappointing and unprofessional. Moving on to someone else.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2017

I have absolutely NO idea why someone left a comment "this so-called Doctor" about this extremely competent, knowledgeable and genuinely caring physician. The woman who said he reacted to her hysteria by saying he "didn't know what is wrong" with her husband was seeing the frustration of someone who IS NOT GOD and cannot pull a diagnosis out of thin air. I have had three colonoscopies and one upper endoscopy by Dr. Dean. Staff is amazing; anesthesiologists are wonderful people; Dr. Dean called me to explain that what the biopsy found in my esophagus is "minor" and prescribed a daily medication, he called me after office hours. This doctor IS MY personal physician's gastroenterologist! He is a "Doctor's Doctor"...I wouldn't trust anyone else. Is everyone in a good mood every day? Suppose he found something in a patient that he knew was a death sentence the day these nay-sayers use to condemn him? THESE ARE PEOPLE, they have bad days and they have bad life experiences, also. He's highly skilled; he responds to calls (give him TIME, the guy is BUSY). I would (and have) recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

This review is not of the doctor, but of his office staff. I never got to meet with this doctor. He had good reviews on another website but I left three separate messages for his secretary to call me back to try to schedule an appointment. I never received a call back. Very unprofessional! I had to find another doctor.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2014

He was fantastic, competent which maybe can come off as smug in the uninformed. Mine was a complicated case and he was called specifically in for my ERCP. I am incredibly thankful to get such a knowledgable GI, he answered all questions I had about the procedure and or/why I need the surgury. I have had a number I doctors over the years and he is in the top 3. I recomend him to anyone. however I saw him at vassar, this I cannot speak to his private practice.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2014

We LOVE Dr. Dean. In fact, he makes having routine Colonoscopies an absolute pleasure! I'm so confused as to how others could have had a tough go of it.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2013

I don't understand what happened with the other patients, but my family loves Dr. Dean. I had a colonoscopy last April and it was a piece of cake. The entire staff is wonderful too. I was put completely out and didn't know anything until they woke me up. We have since moved to FL and I will travel back to see Dr. Dean for any more procedures.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2011

My husband was hospitalized & Dr. Dean was the gastro dr. on call. He was extremely smug, uncaring, & had horrible bedside manner. He actually got an attitude with me after I asked some questions regarding my husband's condition & became confrontational when I didn't just accept his diagnosis of "don't know what's wrong with him". Did not give a good first impression...or 2nd since we cancelled our follow-up with him & saw another gastroenterologist.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2009

I don't know why he got such a low score. I have had two procedures with him, egd and colonoscopy and have had good experiences both times. He was highly recommended by my primary, and did not disappoint. Very kind and caring. I cried like a baby from fear of the procedure and he was very understanding and compassionate. I would in any case recommend the procedure in the hospital, not the office. I felt the hospital was more professional.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2008

I went to the office and met the doctor before having a colonoscopy. The doctor made a grand entrance into examining room. First he was all giggly and when I didn't join in he actually pouted! I just didn't know what to make of his behavior it was so over the top. I told my friends later that it seemed like he was auditioning for a broadway play. In the end I canceled the colonoscopy.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2008

There are no words to decribe this so-called doctor. This doctor was and is unprofessional and I do not recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2006

Dr. Robert S. Dean's Credentials

• French

• University Of Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School (Grad. 1988)