Ratings for Dr. Bryan Young

I am still in shock by the most unprofessional secretary (ies) in Dr. Young's office. They should be put on disciplinary measures by Owen Sound hospital HR and placed in mandatory training on interpersonal and verbal communication skills. How they earn a living at mistreating patients is beyond me. Reprehensible. Terrible patient treatment. A patient who worked hard all her life and asked nothing of the system all her life is now faced with advancing Parkinson's. My dear elder Aunt desperately needs relief so I (as her POA of health) had the appointment with Dr. Young arranged over 1 year ago. I travelled from Iqaluit, NU to take her to the appointment. It cost me thousands of dollars, annual leave, 3 hour flight and 7 hour drive. I love my aunt so it's worth it. She does not like to leave her room anymore as she is in so much discomfort constantly. It took a lot of courage for her to make the drive in the mobility van to see Dr. Young. We had waited for this appointment for over a year and were in great anticipation. My aunt is in a wheelchair and we rolled into Dr. Young' s tiny office which barely fits a wheelchair (where is the accessibility hospital policy)to be harshly spoken to by the first person we see. No greeting. No professional address just a look of disdain and why are you bothering me. I inform her who we are and she impatiently relplies wait outside for Dr. Dafe. I stop her and say no we are seeing Dr. Young , she unapologetically replies "No you're not." I was stunned to be addressed ( my elder aunt waiting and listening by my side sunk quietly in her wheelchair as if we were a burden to them) with such distain and an attitude of "why are you bothering me and go away" then to be told you will be seeing another doctor. In shock I say we are here to see Dr. Young and Dr. Young only. The authoritarian Secretary repeats that my Aunt is seeing another doctor. My head is spinning. The Secretary dismisses me and my aunt insecurely looks up from her wheelchair as if to say why is this happening, maybe we should just go home. I'm literally dazed. What have I missed here. Why are these people rude. Why such a negative, unwelcoming attitude. A doctors office should be a place of warm greeting and assurance that we will register you and arrange for you to meet with the doctor soon. We acknowledge your presence in our office and your Aunts. Linda and Cindy are there names. Honestly they should not be working in that office where you are expected to treat people with respect and basic human descency.. She would be in a filing room a way from the general public. This was a day of vulnerability and of opening herself up to an uncertain and disappointing realization.This was a day I anticipated for 1 full year. This was a day I coached my Aunt about all year as she was fearful of making the trip and the discomfort it might entail. This was a day that may bring her and I a glimmer of hope. This was a day where we might find some answers. This was a day she might be assured of a little relief from this tragic disease that has rendered her powerless and helpless after a lifetime of being a strong independent woman working on her own farm for 75 years and being a valued community member and a strong role model for women everywhere. This was a woman who contributed and paid her dues to the system and asked for nothing in return. This was a shock to find this kind of ill-treatment was what she got in return. It unacceptable and completely inappropriate. I am filing a complaint to all appropriate agencies and expect an immediate apology, resolution and assurance that this situation will never be repeated. Joanne Ashley Feel free to email me (jashley@nmto.ca) to file the complaint along with me. I returned to the office where Linda and Cindy were and asked for their names. I explained that their attitude was not and that I had called many times about my Aunts appointment with Doctor Young and no one notified of any changes and that there attitude today was unprofessional and unwelcome. All the main Secretary said was "That's fine over and over. Then she pulled out the intimidation card and said threateningly one last "That's fine..if you don't want to see the Doctor today that's fine." Cruel thats all she was. Heartless and cruel. Her damage was done. A place of healing that freely cuts to the core and shockingly carried on cluelessly with their day. We were advised by Dr. Schwartz, a helpful research Doctor at Sunnybrook to book with Dr. Young as they worked together in treating patients with leading Parkinson's treatments. So I asked my aunt's GP to refer her to Dr. Young. We booked a consultation with Dr. Young. Our hopes were dashed. We did not meet Dr. Young. That happens but to be addressed so harshly and unapologetically is a hard pill to swallow .We did meet the other Doctor who was very thorough, professional and helpful. The Doctor was great. The secretaries not so great! In fact terrible!

flag | Submitted October 13, 2017

Dr Young is a highly skilled neurologist - in face he is a professor of neurology- Owen Sound is very lucky to have a doctor of his caliber - my wife was in and out of the hospital for the last year and more recently for the last 3 months - there was what was thought to be mental health issues so this was treated by a psychiatrist- after trial and error for over 9 months nothing was working until dr Young was called in to diagnose her problem- his diagnosis was a suspicion of Parkinson's- after some testing and trying her on a patch called Neupro her annixety has subsided along with insomnia that had allowed her no more than 2-3 hours of sleep a night for over 11 months and her tremors and Parkinson's systems are finally under control - after battling her condition for 0over 11 months he was able to finially find out what was wrong within 2 weeks - she has a good 80 % of her life back so far and is still improving day by day - had it not been for dr young we may have never found out was was wrong with her - if anyone has any suspicion of Parkinson's dr young is at the top of the list to get it diagnosed and start a treatment program- We are grateful to what he has done for my wife and the rest of our family - Definitely one of the best!! Mike Wazonek,Shalloe Lake,Ont

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

He has assisted my Dad for years with his epilepsy, helping to bring his seizures under control. He is amazing, so much that my Dad will make the drive to Owen Sound to still be in his care.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

My wife was recently diagnosed with MS and was, thankfully, referred to Dr. Young. Linda, his 'secretary', is the most effective, efficient, caring individual my wife and I have encountered in healthcare. A perfect prelude to Dr. Young, who is at once - warm, caring, knowledgeable and a wonderful listener. Dr. Young and Linda are the only good part of an unwelcome diagnosis.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2016

Secretary is c word which is to bad because the guy is an absolute beauty

flag | Submitted June 6, 2016

Secretary is nasty!! Cannot get appt while I suffer!

flag | Submitted March 7, 2016

A great physician that cares about his patients and their well being.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Kind, wise, & knowledgeable. Those are only three words to describe his history for patients and wish to make all his patients as healthy as possible to live their lives with Epilepsy as seizure free as anyone could ever imagine. Few could ever match the knowledge he has to keep his patients healthy through the knowledge of medications, dosages and kindness for them at all times. A true professional in all the ways professional can be described as!!

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

London's loss at Dr. Young's retirement is our gain in Owen Sound! A wonderful professional with a caring, empathetic approach to his patients. So glad that he has decided to retire here and give our community his part time services.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

Wonderful man Would be the best in "bedside manner".

flag | Submitted August 10, 2014