Ratings for Dr. Hemant T. Thawani

Worse Doctor i ever went to for thyroid. He really doesnt know anything about thyroid problems. Sad

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

I was recommended by a friend to see Dr. Thawani. She spoke so highly of him. Grateful to her for the recommendation! He pays close attention to my body symptoms. He works with my PCP. His staff is the best I've ever dealt with! One of the things I appreciate the most about him is he will call you personally and always the same day! Always! I like that he now sits down and listens to me! I highly recommend Dr. Thawani!

flag | Submitted January 13, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr Thawan's for approx 10 yrs now. I am treated for 2 endocrin daorders, 1 for 43 yrs, one for approx 25 yrs. I estimate I have seen more than 100 attending physicians n the Flint area since the onset of disease at 5 yrs of age. I can honestly say that I have never encountered a physician that is as knowledgeable and willing to accommodate my abilities and level of understanding as Dr Thawani. He has worked with me through the course of 2 organ transplants, gong me a hand of knowing where next to turn even f the problem was not in ha area of expertise. I believe Patients first must take ownership of their disease to be successful wth it, but to do this they need a physician who is knowledgeable yet flexible wth ea of our own Indvidualities. As patients we don't need our Drs to always agree wth us but we do need them to always act in our best interest, I found that in Dr Thawani and thus far no other physician has even come close. He is current on what's the latest in treatment but also not afraid to say he doesn't know, that is more valuable than many patients realize. I would recommend this Dr and his staff.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2015

I was referred by my PCP and despite my PCP's choice of another specialist, I went to Thawani because I saw him in the hospital at Hurley, for Thyroid. My PCP was going away for 6 months and I went to him because he wanted me to be followed even though he was capable during his presence. I will advise anyone with a real serious need for help to run away from Thawani. The most biased person, judgmental, doesn't talk to you except for a couple of words, you wait for ever and he rolls his eyes on you the way you would do on someone you are trying to upset. I am sure he was the weakest person in his class or he memorized because he can't explain his treatments except saying we will do our job and walk away. My hyperthyroid got worse, he was n't willing to do any blood work, just continued my previous treatment, and I finally got sick went to another hospital, and they just changed my meds, and the Doctors were really surprised he waited until my blood work was getting worse. Now that my PCP is back, I am being managed correctly, and he said he won't let any of his patients go to him. The least professional physician and very judgmental and biased. He should retire before he does more damage.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2015

I was referred by my doctor in 2012 for Hashimotos hypothyroidism. On my first visit he told me my levels were fine & my symptoms must be something else. I was not myself, my usual high energy sunk to barely able to get out of bed in the morning. I kept gaining weight despite diet modifications, my menstrual cycle just stopped & I felt sad alot. Everything about my life had changed. I told my doctor & she sent me back to see Dr. Thawani. I waited just shy of 2 hrs & was told again, my "levels were normal" except my antibodies which had tripled. No further assistance offered for any of my symptoms other than"just keep doing what you are doing" "no need to follow up" & a pat on the hand "you will be fine dear". I finally educated myself to this disease since that is what I paid for but did not get. I bought multiple books including those written by Mary Shomann {excellent resource for this disease} & learned that I was not going crazy like I feared. Everything I was experiencing was part of this disease process. In my own personal research via books & online resources I learned that the patient must often be their own advocate with this disease. Sadly & unfortunately, many physicians would rather treat lab values which is easier than treating patients' symptoms. I am not a lab value and "normal" is a range therefore, not all individuals will function optimally at the same value within that range. I may do better as high normal than someone else who feels better at low normal. This takes patience & the willingness to adjust treatments/doses through trial & error according to symptom improvement rather than numbers. This requires a caring & dedicated approach not the dismissive, demeaning, judgemental approach he offers. In fact, I think he lacks respect for women in particular. Although I have put up with this for quite some time, all is not lost. I now know what qualities to look for & what the red flags are when selecting another physician. In reading some of the other physician reviews I can see that there are many options for a true healthcare partner & advocate.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2015

What a rat. Did not take me seriously. Called me a liar. Finally did an untrasound to "humor" me and did not have the courage to say oops I guess you were right I found not one but three growths! I did not learn of these until another doctor scheduled a biopsy. Just horrible!

flag | Submitted January 14, 2015

1 1/2 hr wait with an appointment. No information given to me about what I have. All he said was I had three options....pause....which do you want to do? How about you give some stuff to look over and I call you tomorrow! Staff was very unprofessional; wearing basketball hoodies and sweatpants. He brought in a new student and never asked me if that was ok. I get very nervous going to doctors...especially new ones. And then they wonder why my blood pressure is high. He told me not to drink diet soda because I need to watch my calorie intake. Diet Soda doesn't have calories. I'm not even a doctor and I know that! This guy was unbelievable!

flag | Submitted November 13, 2014

I recently stopped going to Dr. Thawani (have been a patient since 2012). I have hyperthyroidism and was lead to believe after a year I could get off medication. I was doing my own research and found changing my diet could help and I did start to feel better. He told me that food would not change my condition and that I'll be on medication the rest of my life. Whenever I get my symptoms (anxiety, sleeplessness, hot flashes, brittle nails) he dismissed my symptoms and said I was under stress. I am now looking for a new doctor.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2014

I've been visiting Dr.Thawani for my hypopitutarism. First couple visits were good, (besides waiting on the doctor for over an hour after my appointment was scheduled!) However after my recent appointment I felt insulted. He brings in a student doctor and I'm already nervous talking to the staff about my condition and he knows it... so telling a new face what is wrong with me was demeaning and embarrassing. Then he asks about how I feel on my T injections. I say good for 3 to 5days after injection I start to lose the good feeling. He simply says "yea well tour levela came out normal... normal for who doc? I know my body better than you. Then he proceeds to talk about my weight. Saying I've gained.. but failed to realise I was wearing heavy redwing work boots. I explain this and he avoids the topic and starts asking about my diet. I tell him and he starts acting like I'm lying.. what's is up with that? I am GH deficient and any doctor worth his salt would know that brings on obesity.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2013

My Doctor sent my blood work showing my results of low thyroid to Dr. Thawani. I voiced my concerns about low energy and weight gain etc. I also explained that I could not walk or exercise very much due to 3 back surgeries with pinched nerves down into my feet and that I was disabled. My spine is miss aligned. He flicked up my shirt and looked at the scars on my back. The Doctor visit lasted 5 min. He told me I needed to walk more and come back in 2 months and get blood work a week before the appointment. Dr. Thawani must not of looked at my file with my blood work in it at all. He did not change my thyroid medication. I tried to explain to him that if I could walk more I would. He clearly did not believe that I had any disability - without seeing x-rays or anything. So for the cost of $185 for the visit my advice from the specialist was to walk more. Then tell me to come back in 2 months to give him another $185 - no thanks.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2013

Dr. Hemant T. Thawani's Credentials

• Gov'T Med Coll, South Gujarat Univ, Surat, Gujarat, India (Grad. 1984)