Ratings for Dr. Rodrigo Neira

I recently had surgery by Dr. Neira and am very satisfied. His bedside manner is so compassionate and caring, he rubbed my arm the entire time the anaesthetist was putting me under. Although he is difficult to understand at times, he is a very accomplished surgeon and does excellent work. I had a post-op complication, which was no fault of his, and he dealt with it swiftly (I had to return to the OR). My followup appointment was good and I am very happy with the results. I also see him from another perspective (I'm a nurse) and have always been impressed with his bedside manner with his patients.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

I did have chest surgery with Dr Neira and he did such amazing job, beyond all my expectations, outstanding bed side manner, delivering greatest support and compassion during my entire journal of my surgery. He is the best doctor I have ever seen , his staff Misty is incredible and suportive every time i need him. He is very professional and put me easy . I did have one of my best experience in my life .Thanks Dr Neira

flag | Submitted January 20, 2018

He's a joke Talk down to me and made me feel like shit about my weight even though I lose 20 pounds before surgery. The people who work at his office are rude. I wish I never had surgery with him. He ruined my chest and now I'm having horrible pain under my arm pits and chest. He should stop being an surgeon.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2018

Before you read on, let me just say that I am grateful for having top surgery and for having it done so quickly, and overall, he did an alright job. When I first met Dr. Neira, he was a bubbly, flamboyant doctor that had an energy like no other, it made me positive, but I had seen the reviews here, and wanted to have my own opinion. He determined I would need liposuction because I am a smaller breasted male. He did not tell me the cons of this, but said there was minimal scarring compared the traditional surgery. Sounded great to me. Two months later, I'm in Red Deer hospital about to have my surgery and he comes in saying that I could either have liposuction or have traditional surgery (he didn't remember who I was or what surgery I was supposed to get and made decisions on how to operate then and there.) This choice came out of no where so of course I went with liposuction. When I came out of the hospital, I wasn't sent home with pain medication but sent home with a medication that could cause hematomas (this I was not aware of until I landed in the hospital with a large hematoma in my left side.) This hematoma was developed 6 days after my surgery which is late for a hematoma and could've been caused from the medication or liposuction in general (another thing I was told when I landed in the hospital). I had two surgeries eight days apart from each other. The surgeon who operated on my hematoma told me that they could not fix it because it was engulfed in scar tissue caused by my liposuction. This turned a 30 minute operation into a 2 hour surgery. When I came back to Dr. Neira's office for a preop check up, we asked him if he got my file about my second surgery and he said it was "lost in the clouds" and followed this by asking how long ago I had my surgery, what surgery I got done, etc, once again forgetting who I was. When we told him about my hematoma, he checked my left breast and said, "OHHHH IT'LL GO AWAY IT'S FINE, IT'S FINE." You can barely understand him half the time, and I found myself just nodding and agreeing with what he was saying because his personality was so strong and I couldn't keep up more than half the time. I felt completely drained talking with him. When we first got there, they didn't want my mom in there with me, not realizing I was under 18. Even though they had seen my health care. But my mom came in anyway. At the end, we asked for another prescription of T3's (medication given to me by my second surgeon) and he went on a tangent about some nonsense before saying, "OHHH YOU'RE 16?! SO YOUNG." Not impressed. A few days later, I'm asking my second surgeon to come back in because my breast is rock hard again, a warning sign of my hematoma. I go in and they're extremely worried because this shouldn't be happening. Overall, in the end, I may need to go into a third surgery to scrape out my scar tissue and try to fix my hematoma. This has all happened within two weeks. I'm writing this because most of these reviews don't explain everything that happened to them. I urge you, to come up with your own opinion, but if you're having a major surgery, to try and find other options. It's like giving a kid a scalpel. For some people, he may be great, but for me, he's just prolonged my suffering. I will not be going back to him. The staff in Red Deer Hospital were more than amazing, he was just not for me. I'm happy for how fast I got in, and I wouldn't go back, because at least this will be fixed, but I'm glad I didn't let him do a traditional top surgery on me (mastectomy).

flag | Submitted December 8, 2017

Dr. Neira's jovial personality matches his expertise as a Plastic Surgeon. His experience and skillfullness are obvious in his exceptional surgical outcomes. His compassion for his patients is apparent in his passion for science and art of Plastic Surgery. I would recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2017

Dr Neira is fantastic! He is an excellent surgeon with the most amazing energy that I have ever seen. He is exceptionally optimistic and very experienced. His positive attitude is a breath of fresh air when dealing with difficult medical issues. I would be happy to recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2017

I was so disappointed in my augmantation . They are different sizes and left side hangs ! I real mess.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2017

ABSOLUTELY loved Dr. Neira!! He put my mind at ease as he explained everything and even after the surgery was supportive for any question I had. Would definitely see him again!

flag | Submitted August 14, 2017

He is hard to understand when explaining simple things and gets talking way too fast and excited almost to know what he's talking about. His punctuality is horrific. You'll wait in his outpatient waiter my room for literally hours and hours after your scheduled appointment. Avoid.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2017

Just before consultation they have you sign a form to release your before and after pictures so other patients interested in the same procedure can see what to potentially expect. When I got in, he asked me what I was there for and then went on about how he has done this procedure hundreds of times. Then he said "Now is the time for questions. No questions! Good!" Then I responded "Actually, I have a few questions." He didn't let me ask my questions and immediately said "If you want pictures. I don't show pictures." . He went on telling me I shouldn't care about the results and that I should want the surgery so bad that results don't matter, even if things turn out lopsided. Who says that to a person when talking about a surgical procedure!??! He was very intesnse to say the least. While talking, he got right up to my face with wide eyes and babbled on about how patients shouldn't care about the results of his surgical procedures. After all, he's done it hundreds of times, and you should just be happy you got an appointment. The man got really defensive when I said I had questions. Funny thing, I didn't even get the chance to ask my questions. He spoke lots, loud, fast and aggressively. I hardly said a word. I wouldn't trust this guy to be anywhere near my unconscious body! I would much rather a new doctor, fresh out of med school. They've got updated procedure knowledge, and they're out to gain a good reputation. They're much more likely to want to ensure their results are in the best interest of the patient in their care. I'll be requesting a referral to someone with less experience to ensure I get the most up to date procedure, and the best results. I have to look at those results for the rest of my life. They had best be worth looking at! Otherwise, what's the point?

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017