Ratings for Dr. Rodrigo Neira

I had top surgery 2 years ago. I still get upset thinking about the lack of pre op and post op care. After my surgery he informed me that he would be gone for the next two weeks and to just go to an ER to have my drains removed. I didn't have a follow up with him until 2-3 months after when I was back from university. There was no follow up with his receptionist Misty, terrible people skills. Results of the surgery are OK, but not to the standard I would expect from a "highly accomplished" surgeon. I regret it and wish I hadn't had top surgery. That's how bad this experience with Neira was.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2018

If anyone is getting their top surgery through Dr. Neira please do yourself a favor: Get all of the details the Secretary for his office gives you in writing from her (an email, snail mail, doesn't matter). She made a massive mistake when booking my surgery (which was scheduled for today) and instead of apologizing she will yell at you and hold your transition over your head as well as be verbally aggressive, and try to gas light you. On August 15th I had called Dr. Neiras office to see the status of my wait time. I had already waited 4 years and was moved from a list with a surgeon in medicine hat to red deer and was told about that AFTER the switch. The secretary had no note of me so she called me back a few days later very apologetic saying the office in medicine hat was not honest about sending my referral over . She told me that she put my name on the short waiting list and the next cancellation they get for surgery will go to me. The next day, she called me back saying they had a surgery date that became available for September 5th. I was pretty thrilled. I got there today and the secretary was adament that she NEVER called me back after the 15th with any info and that we never ever spoke about a surgery. I just stared and said that's just not true at all and I wouldn't have driven all the way down here to an address she gave me to see a surgeon who works at said address. She continued to say that she never said anything and did so with much aggression. I told her that this was crazy and to please have some accountability if she just made a simple mistake. She refused and told me I'll be taken off the list all together so that "I get zero surgery. Take it or leave it". I'll be contacting Dr. Marshall about that first thing tomorrow. I'm sure Dr. Neira himself is great but because of the secretary's extreme unprofessional behavior, lack of accountability, and over all attacking stance I won't know . I've been on the waiting list for 4 years and she has basically used her power to put it to a stand still because she didn't want to admit she messed up. Sorry for the long post 😔 I'm devastated and don't know what to do from here....my heart was so thrilled and excited for this to finally happen and it was just ripped away from me.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2018

Worst breast reduction. Husband hates them and won’t touch them. So embarrassing. Horrible and uneven nipple placement. No symetrical. Sloppy shape. Did not get what I requested. Cannot stand to see myself naked. How can I trust him to fix them if this is as good as he gives. Hard to understand.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2018

Worst ever. Impossible to really understand. No post surgery care or follow up.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2018

I had a tummy tuck performed by Dr. Neira and the incision has healed nicely but I would not recommend him to anyone because he is just not there for you and his office is impossible to contact. I had a complication a few weeks after surgery and was not able to get a hold of his office at all, I went into the ER and the hospital could not even get a hold of him so another plastic surgeon fixed me and I never even got a call from him or his assistant the next day to follow up. I truly feel that after paying him, that was it, he no longer cares about my recovery. Good surgeon as my incision is very thin but a poor Doctor, do not recommend.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

I recently had surgery by Dr. Neira and am very satisfied. His bedside manner is so compassionate and caring, he rubbed my arm the entire time the anaesthetist was putting me under. Although he is difficult to understand at times, he is a very accomplished surgeon and does excellent work. I had a post-op complication, which was no fault of his, and he dealt with it swiftly (I had to return to the OR). My followup appointment was good and I am very happy with the results. I also see him from another perspective (I'm a nurse) and have always been impressed with his bedside manner with his patients.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

I did have chest surgery with Dr Neira and he did such amazing job, beyond all my expectations, outstanding bed side manner, delivering greatest support and compassion during my entire journal of my surgery. He is the best doctor I have ever seen , his staff Misty is incredible and suportive every time i need him. He is very professional and put me easy . I did have one of my best experience in my life .Thanks Dr Neira

flag | Submitted January 20, 2018

He's a joke Talk down to me and made me feel like shit about my weight even though I lose 20 pounds before surgery. The people who work at his office are rude. I wish I never had surgery with him. He ruined my chest and now I'm having horrible pain under my arm pits and chest. He should stop being an surgeon.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2018

Before you read on, let me just say that I am grateful for having top surgery and for having it done so quickly, and overall, he did an alright job. When I first met Dr. Neira, he was a bubbly, flamboyant doctor that had an energy like no other, it made me positive, but I had seen the reviews here, and wanted to have my own opinion. He determined I would need liposuction because I am a smaller breasted male. He did not tell me the cons of this, but said there was minimal scarring compared the traditional surgery. Sounded great to me. Two months later, I'm in Red Deer hospital about to have my surgery and he comes in saying that I could either have liposuction or have traditional surgery (he didn't remember who I was or what surgery I was supposed to get and made decisions on how to operate then and there.) This choice came out of no where so of course I went with liposuction. When I came out of the hospital, I wasn't sent home with pain medication but sent home with a medication that could cause hematomas (this I was not aware of until I landed in the hospital with a large hematoma in my left side.) This hematoma was developed 6 days after my surgery which is late for a hematoma and could've been caused from the medication or liposuction in general (another thing I was told when I landed in the hospital). I had two surgeries eight days apart from each other. The surgeon who operated on my hematoma told me that they could not fix it because it was engulfed in scar tissue caused by my liposuction. This turned a 30 minute operation into a 2 hour surgery. When I came back to Dr. Neira's office for a preop check up, we asked him if he got my file about my second surgery and he said it was "lost in the clouds" and followed this by asking how long ago I had my surgery, what surgery I got done, etc, once again forgetting who I was. When we told him about my hematoma, he checked my left breast and said, "OHHHH IT'LL GO AWAY IT'S FINE, IT'S FINE." You can barely understand him half the time, and I found myself just nodding and agreeing with what he was saying because his personality was so strong and I couldn't keep up more than half the time. I felt completely drained talking with him. When we first got there, they didn't want my mom in there with me, not realizing I was under 18. Even though they had seen my health care. But my mom came in anyway. At the end, we asked for another prescription of T3's (medication given to me by my second surgeon) and he went on a tangent about some nonsense before saying, "OHHH YOU'RE 16?! SO YOUNG." Not impressed. A few days later, I'm asking my second surgeon to come back in because my breast is rock hard again, a warning sign of my hematoma. I go in and they're extremely worried because this shouldn't be happening. Overall, in the end, I may need to go into a third surgery to scrape out my scar tissue and try to fix my hematoma. This has all happened within two weeks. I'm writing this because most of these reviews don't explain everything that happened to them. I urge you, to come up with your own opinion, but if you're having a major surgery, to try and find other options. It's like giving a kid a scalpel. For some people, he may be great, but for me, he's just prolonged my suffering. I will not be going back to him. The staff in Red Deer Hospital were more than amazing, he was just not for me. I'm happy for how fast I got in, and I wouldn't go back, because at least this will be fixed, but I'm glad I didn't let him do a traditional top surgery on me (mastectomy).

Submitted December 8, 2017

Dr. Neira's jovial personality matches his expertise as a Plastic Surgeon. His experience and skillfullness are obvious in his exceptional surgical outcomes. His compassion for his patients is apparent in his passion for science and art of Plastic Surgery. I would recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2017